SMH Danny levi

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like some opportunity for us over the next few years with others running into cap issues while we are ready to move. Really hope they get this right and not just panic and throw money at everyone who comes up.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If Api is still under contract why would we help Manly free up cap space that they might need to to retain the Turbo brothers? We should be offering Fainu a big deal instead as he is the future. Signing Levi is a step in the wrong direction and shows the club still hasnt learned from the lessons of the past
This is what I am most annoyed at. If fans like us can see this logic why can’t the club find someone with a Fucking brain to run it?

I agree there is likely 0 chance Tommy turbo and Jake leave though that said us going hard at least makes them pay big and with those 2 and Dce raping the cap and guys like Taupau and afb on big $ it leaves fuck all room. If they need to do something don’t take their scrubs go hard for fainu at least we still win there....

Did anyone come take tolman of us? No. We lost the ones we didn’t want to cause we had no Fucking options (well besides woods and mythbye though we paid a portion). They will be the same here.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't mind him but we can do better.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is what I am most annoyed at. If fans like us can see this logic why can’t the club find someone with a Fucking brain to run it?

I agree there is likely 0 chance Tommy turbo and Jake leave though that said us going hard at least makes them pay big and with those 2 and Dce raping the cap and guys like Taupau and afb on big $ it leaves fuck all room. If they need to do something don’t take their scrubs go hard for fainu at least we still win there....

Did anyone come take tolman of us? No. We lost the ones we didn’t want to cause we had no Fucking options (well besides woods and mythbye though we paid a portion). They will be the same here.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you seen him play this year he aint rubbish every knights fan i know are so pissed hes being let go ,he passes brilliantly and great out of dummy half
The Knights fans I know think he's crap and can't wait to get rid of him. He's played ok in one or two games this year, but has been ordinary or in reggies for the rest.

At best he's sideways from Lichaa. Unless he's coming for a 45cent contract, IMO no.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because we aren’t getting the Turbos and Api is a decent hooker that we should be going after.
I didn’t say we were getting the Turbos. They will most likely re-sign on big deals and a third of their cap will be tied up on 3 players. There’s no way they’d be able to match an offer we make for Fainu. Fainu is the superior player, much younger and not as injury prone as Api

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely. Genius recruitment. Hey, let's try and sign the whole reserve grade spine of a team that won the spoon two years straight and barely scrapes into the 8 now...

They should sign Jamie Buhrer as well to complete the shit sandwich.
We aim high at the Bulldogs.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Knights fans I know think he's crap and can't wait to get rid of him. He's played ok in one or two games this year, but has been ordinary or in reggies for the rest.

At best he's sideways from Lichaa. Unless he's coming for a 45cent contract, IMO no.
Dont agree

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mixed feelings over this rumour, has potential to be a good or bad signing.
Levi has a lot of talent and shown good form in patches throughout his career.
He's been inconsistent, but has been able to represent the Kiwi's, so the talent is there.
He's 24 this year and has played 80 NRL games, so decent level of experience for a relatively young player, potentially coming toward the prime of his career. To put that in perspective, Cook was 24 when he left the Dogs and had only played 9 games over 3 seasons with no rep games. Obviously Danny has been playing in a struggling Knights side for most of that time though.
He's a better option than JMK and Liccha, so if we can't attract anyone else, he's worth a shot in my opinion.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say we were getting the Turbos. They will most likely re-sign on big deals and a third of their cap will be tied up on 3 players. There’s no way they’d be able to match an offer we make for Fainu. Fainu is the superior player, much younger and not as injury prone as Api
Problem is they are only willing to release Api it's not like we have a choice.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
According to Zerotackle (so some may have changed), the following hookers are off contract:

IN 2019
Kurt Baptiste, Billy Brittain, Robbie Farah, Sione Katoa, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Issac Luke, Matt McIlwrick, Reece Robson, James Segeyaro, Zac Woolford

IN 2020
Jayden Brailey, Jake Friend, Harry Grant, Danny Levi, Reed Mahoney, Sean O'Sullivan, Nathan Peats

and yet somehow, in all those names... we are linked to Danny Levi?

Baptiste - 28 and starting to become injury prone.
Brittain - Souths just signed up hooker Joshua Cook until end of 2021. May be worth looking into.
Farah - Will probably retire or go one more year with Benji at Tigers.
Katoa - Likely to be pushed out as Egan and Kenny are Panthers preferred hookers. Would be worth investigating.
Lichaa - offload.
Liddle - Injury prone and can't hold down a first grade spot.
Luke - At 33 next year, and unwanted by Warriors, will probably head to ESL.
McIlwrick - Hasn't been able to hold down a first grade spot at 5 clubs now.
Robson - Rumoured to be off somewhere already.
Segeyaro - Broncos set to offer a new deal any day now.
Woolford - Doubt he'd come back, and can't beat Newcastles other options to first grade spot (including Levi).
JBrailey - Open to offers after Sharks locked in his brother at hooker.
Friend - 29 and like Baptiste starting to become injury prone with arm problems, however would be worth a look if we can get over for 2020 with Roosters paying his 2020 wage (or part thereof). Short term option for a few years, but quality player for others to learn off.
Grant - Storm locked him up recently I think.
Levi - Don't see the hype in him.
Mahoney - Surely Parra keep him?
O'Sullivan - I think Broncos are viewing him as halves solution with Turpin possibly.
Peats - 29 this year and like Baptiste, Friend and Luke, starting to get injured more often.

So out of the above there are a few options we should be looking at.
- Brailey and Katoa first and foremost.
- Ask the question about Jake Friend (although I suspect he may want to retire a one club man).
- Ask the question about Reed Mahoney and Parra future plans.
- Baptiste MAY be worth looking at, but comes with an injury risk (then again balance that with JMK playing off the bench).
- Peats MAY be worth looking into, but like Friend he's had Pec/arm issues, and may be too risky at hooker.

Whoever we get, if we get someone experienced they can help assist Zac Hetherington and Ryan Gray coming through (as well as guys like Lachlan Talau and even Hamill). Even JMK could learn off them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Britain and Liddle would be decent options. Grant is who they should target. He'd probably cost the same as Levi considering he's playing one game of FG and has no path to FG with Cam and Brandon Smith ahead of him.

If they let Drinkwater leave early, surely they would let Grant go if he got an opportunity to start and more money.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
According to Zerotackle (so some may have changed), the following hookers are off contract:

IN 2019
Kurt Baptiste, Billy Brittain, Robbie Farah, Sione Katoa, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Issac Luke, Matt McIlwrick, Reece Robson, James Segeyaro, Zac Woolford

IN 2020
Jayden Brailey, Jake Friend, Harry Grant, Danny Levi, Reed Mahoney, Sean O'Sullivan, Nathan Peats

and yet somehow, in all those names... we are linked to Danny Levi?

Baptiste - 28 and starting to become injury prone.
Brittain - Souths just signed up hooker Joshua Cook until end of 2021. May be worth looking into.
Farah - Will probably retire or go one more year with Benji at Tigers.
Katoa - Likely to be pushed out as Egan and Kenny are Panthers preferred hookers. Would be worth investigating.
Lichaa - offload.
Liddle - Injury prone and can't hold down a first grade spot.
Luke - At 33 next year, and unwanted by Warriors, will probably head to ESL.
McIlwrick - Hasn't been able to hold down a first grade spot at 5 clubs now.
Robson - Rumoured to be off somewhere already.
Segeyaro - Broncos set to offer a new deal any day now.
Woolford - Doubt he'd come back, and can't beat Newcastles other options to first grade spot (including Levi).
JBrailey - Open to offers after Sharks locked in his brother at hooker.
Friend - 29 and like Baptiste starting to become injury prone with arm problems, however would be worth a look if we can get over for 2020 with Roosters paying his 2020 wage (or part thereof). Short term option for a few years, but quality player for others to learn off.
Grant - Storm locked him up recently I think.
Levi - Don't see the hype in him.
Mahoney - Surely Parra keep him?
O'Sullivan - I think Broncos are viewing him as halves solution with Turpin possibly.
Peats - 29 this year and like Baptiste, Friend and Luke, starting to get injured more often.

- Ask the question about Jake Friend (although I suspect he may want to retire a one club man).
- Baptiste MAY be worth looking at, but comes with an injury risk (then again balance that with JMK playing off the bench).
- Peats MAY be worth looking into, but like Friend he's had Pec/arm issues, and may be too risky at hooker.

Whoever we get, if we get someone experienced they can help assist Zac Hetherington and Ryan Gray coming through (as well as guys like Lachlan Talau and even Hamill). Even JMK could learn off them.
What happened to Sione Katoa, why did he fall out of favour at Penrith?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He just wasn't very good this season. He regressed badly. Egan and Kenny are now ahead of him.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

JBrailey going to Knights, Katoa in FG coincided with Panthers crap run, Bapiste just cannot hold a FG spot, Peats as per Baptiste. Reed Mahoney maybe.

I like the idea of Friend to teach our youngsters, although the Chooks love him and his injury run is a worry.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Britain and Liddle would be decent options. Grant is who they should target. He'd probably cost the same as Levi considering he's playing one game of FG and has no path to FG with Cam and Brandon Smith ahead of him. If they let Drinkwater leave early, surely they would let Grant go if he got an opportunity to start and more money.
Storm renewed him late June till end of 2020 season, so he can continue under the wing of Cameron Smith.

He had Egan ahead of him, and now young Mitch Kenny is firing. So he's dropped back to NSW Cup as a result. Still a decent option and quite young.

Scary stat about Katoa (for a hooker).
44 NRL games with Panthers, not a single try. 7 try assists in that time.

He's just lacking attacking flair, so maybe not much better than Lichaa. Good defensively but lacks attack.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He looked awful this year I thought. As soon as he was dropped Penrith went on a winning streak.