Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“Nothing signed but talks behind the scenes”
And “wish I could have stayed for the rest of the season”
So he hasn’t signed but the deal is obviously agreed to

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd say this increases our chances of re-signing Meaney too, even if he isn't fullback next year there's more of a chance now with DWZ leaving. I can't see him having a better shot at another club.
Let's hope we have a replacement

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After DWZ I expect we will lose katoa and Hopoate at year end. But we have JAC Naden joining and okunbir coming back and schoop seems to be settling in nicely. There’s also Crichton although I expect he will go too at the end of the season. So we’re not too badly off. But I still don’t know which way the club will go with Meaney.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with New Zealand Warriors, Gareth Widdop and Matt Lodge on radar | Daily Telegraph

The Warriors have landed Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and now they want Matt Lodge and Gareth Widdop to join the team immediately.
Watene-Zelezniak’s mid-season move from Canterbury also paves the way for the Bulldogs to make a play for outgoing Cronulla halfback Shaun Johnson from next season.

The Bulldogs met Johnson’s agent recently and are expected to make a decision by next week if they are going to pursue the experienced half to partner Matt Burton. Johnson’s asking price has dropped significantly and could be around the $500,000 mark.

The Bulldogs have money to play with after Watene-Zelezniak was released 18 months early with his deal worth about $850,000 next season.

Watene-Zelezniak, a former Kiwi Test skipper, is expected to join the Warriors for the next 3½ years. With Watene-Zelezniak signing as a direct replacement for Ken Maumalo, who joined the Tigers this week, the Warriors are now moving to secure Lodge and Widdop before the August 1 trade deadline.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has joined the Warriors.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has joined the Warriors.

Lodge’s time at Brisbane will come to an end sooner rather than later as protracted negotiations continue between the parties to work on a split.

The Warriors are the frontrunners to sign the controversial Lodge after protracted talks between Lodge and the Knights fell over last week.

The Warriors have been linked to Lodge multiple times in the past few seasons, including as recently as November. That move never eventuated and the club signed ex-Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake. Lodge’s partner is the daughter of Warriors recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan. O’Sullivan’s son Sean is also part of the Warriors’ top 30 and will play this weekend.

The Warriors only wanted to sign Lodge for the rest of this season but that was rejected by the Broncos.

The Warriors are also keen on getting ex-Dragons skipper Widdop after Chanel Harris-Tavita ruptured his pectoral last week. Widdop is contracted to Warrington but is desperate to return to the NRL. If Warrington sign George Williams the Warriors will make a move to have Widdop join for at least the rest of the season.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone know the figures ? Can’t say it’s good deal or bad without confirmation of that
Exactly. If the payout starts with a 3,2 or even 1 in front of it, we have gained a great deal.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I got an email from the club at 4pm.. didn't mention anything about DWZ... ?? Is it true or b.s?
Imma guess they are fine tuning details.
I still suggest we pay 100% of his contract this year and in return we only pay tree fiddy of next years contract or something much less than half.

having 450 to play with next year out of the deal will be meh and we will only attract like for like but having 550…. Well that’s a Shaun Johnson.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
As ive said a few times we can’t hate Dwz. Everyone would agree he has done some shocking brain farts. Though he is a all heart and ballsy player runs like we could dream our props would.

Though plain and simple from business point of view you know and understand why our management are doing this.

He is on a contract from past management that is terrible for us and that is double his worth.

Unfortunate but business.

I hope he kills it for the Warriors and he will do well for a while but he will be a 800k+ waste for us.

Jac and cotric are our wings and both better for far less.

I’m not sure what we do at 1 be it try jake or move Allen back, keep meaney or if Jac gets a crack.

Though one thing for sure with the massive amount we have off the books including hoppa and napa and now Dwz we can certainly land a gun 9, gun prop, another quality signing be it Johnson, forward or whoever they have in mind.

Hopefully Brandon and a tpj/Taupau maybe even afb if the Warriors do get lodge and maybe he wants out? Who knows. Maybe taumalolo or Papalii has some truth about wanting out? Paulo year after?

Either way we should be in a position to address 2 huge signings and 1 solid with burton Jac and naden coming too!

Last edited:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs met Johnson’s agent recently and are expected to make a decision by next week if they are going to pursue the experienced half to partner Matt Burton. Johnson’s asking price has dropped significantly and could be around the $500,000 mark.
Every new article has DWZ salary going up and SJ going down.
In any case I would think Johnson fills a void more than DWZ to our needs.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we currently have a winger who can play better than him?? If not why are we letting him go now and not seasons end.
Opportunity. Seasons over.
If we hang on until seasons end we may have been stuck with him.
He’s expensive surplus. Best to fuck him off now.