Official Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with Bulldogs effective immediately.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think @TwinTurbo’s point might also be that whilst the cap and contract situation might not have been 100% ideal (it rarely is for any club - Tigers, Sea Eagles) - it’s not nearly as grim as it was in 2017 when Madge looked at our books and declined to take the conversation further, knowing it would be 3 years+ before he could start to shape a roster he was happy with. That said, I’m glad Madge isn’t our coach and he went on to do a similar thing with the Tigers (inherit a crook roster taking years to fix). I don’t blame the previous administrators for trying to entice some talent to our club at a time when few options were available.
I don't think any incoming coach would be 100% happy with what they have to work with when they start at a new club I wasn't debating that point. There is defiantly some deadwood that needs to be cleaned out but its a manageable situation. I don't think the previous admin should be blame free they did make some poor choices in retention which is 100% on them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Its irrelevant if its recent or not.
But recent or not is not the point the poster you replied to implied.
It was the amt DWZ was supposed to be on that shocked Barratt. There is nothing surprising in that statement.
If couldn't be recent as you agreed bc Baz saw the contracts before signing.
You appear to have gone off half cocked TT.
Let me spell it out, if Barrett was amazed 9 months ago then he surely wouldn't still be amazed, he would be well past that, he would be angry, pissed off, annoyed, displeased, hostile etc. He would have also done something about it, shopped him around, told him he wasn't worth it, dropped him from the NRL squad, told him to find a new home, start kicking stones in the car park, anything to force him out.

Maybe it's just me, but after 9 months I would be well past "amazed", I'd have moved on to other emotions and I sure as hell would have done something about it.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me spell it out, if Barrett was amazed 9 months ago then he surely wouldn't still be amazed, he would be well past that, he would be angry, pissed off, annoyed, displeased, hostile etc. He would have also done something about it, shopped him around, told him he wasn't worth it, dropped him from the NRL squad, told him to find a new home, start kicking stones in the car park, anything to force him out.

Maybe it's just me, but after 9 months I would be well past "amazed", I'd have moved on to other emotions and I sure as hell would have done something about it.

Go Dogs
I think it is just you because Tbaz isn't going to come out in the public and comment of specific deals he isn't happy with.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think any incoming coach would be 100% happy with what they have to work with when they start at a new club I wasn't debating that point. There is defiantly some deadwood that needs to be cleaned out but its a manageable situation. I don't think the previous admin should be blame free they did make some poor choices in retention which is 100% on them.
It’s very manageable that’s why I don’t get the uproar. Everyone wants us to win a comp but we are still working our way out of old issues. Everyone has the benefit of hindsight. I don’t recall too much argument to DWZ being re-signed at the end of 2019 when he was playing well. As for other retention, who are we talking about - 12 months for Lewis and Pay? I don’t think either of those have made significant difference to the road back considering all the issues combined.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Then let me spell it out.

The guy posted:

"Spoke to a couple of guys within the club today during today’s game. DWZ was discussed, Barrett was shocked when he found out the high salary that DWZ is on".

Is he saying the couple of guys said Baz looked at the contract yesterday? NO.

It says, "he was shocked when he found out the high salary". There is no timeline stated.

I took it (and I think most did) that he meant when Barrett "first" saw the contract he was shocked.

When Barrett first saw the contract was when he was negotiating to coach us. It seems self evident.

You are just conflating a non issue I'm afraid.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s very manageable that’s why I don’t get the uproar. Everyone wants us to win a comp but we are still working our way out of old issues. Everyone has the benefit of hindsight. I don’t recall too much argument to DWZ being re-signed at the end of 2019 when he was playing well. As for other retention, who are we talking about - 12 months for Lewis and Pay? I don’t think either of those have made significant difference to the road back considering all the issues combined.
Just because its manageable doesn't mean there wasn't mistakes made does it? I disagree on the Pay re-signing it was absolutely diabolical he was totally out of his depth and boarding on unprofessional and set us back at least a year. Re-signing the likes of Lewis and C Smith for a another year when they still had a year to run is just bad management plus the majority of the signings have been busts. The previous management have left a mess to clean up there's no denying that it's just lucky we have the right admin in now to navigate us out of it without writing off 4 years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Then let me spell it out.
The guy posted:
"Spoke to a couple of guys within the club today during today’s game. DWZ was discussed, Barrett was shocked when he found out the high salary that DWZ is on".
Is he saying the couple of guys said Baz looked at the contract yesterday? NO.
It says, "he was shocked when he found out the high salary". There is no timeline stated.
I took it (and I think most did) that he meant when Barrett "first" saw the contract he was shocked.
When Barrett first saw the contract was when he was negotiating to coach us. It seems self evident.
You are just conflating a non issue I'm afraid.
I was very explicit in my choice of words, "IF this is supposed to something recent" I don't now how less conflated I could possible be.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think @TwinTurbo’s point might also be that whilst the cap and contract situation might not have been 100% ideal (it rarely is for any club - Tigers, Sea Eagles) - it’s not nearly as grim as it was in 2017 when Madge looked at our books and declined to take the conversation further, knowing it would be 3 years+ before he could start to shape a roster he was happy with. That said, I’m glad Madge isn’t our coach and he went on to do a similar thing with the Tigers (inherit a crook roster taking years to fix). I don’t blame the previous administrators for trying to entice some talent to our club at a time when few options were available.

Additionally, Baz obviously had a view beyond 2021. 8 players gone end of 2020, a similar or greater number likely end of 2021. By 2022/23 he will have his stamp on the roster - a natural attrition for any new coach.
That is an additional point, it's all very well to look back with 100% hindsight and criticise what was a very reasonable decision at the time.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was very explicit in my choice of words, "IF this is supposed to something recent" I don't now how less conflated I could possible be.

Go Dogs
Oh good you've clarified your original point now, rather than carrying on conflating :grinning:

Your other points:

"He would be angry, pissed off, annoyed, displeased, hostile etc. He would have also done something about it, shopped him around, told him he wasn't worth it, dropped him from the NRL squad, told him to find a new home, start kicking stones in the car park, anything to force him out.

Maybe it's just me, but after 9 months I would be well past "amazed", I'd have moved on to other emotions and I sure as hell would have done something about it".

Fact: We know DWZ is being over paid so you recommend Baz do what you'd do as per above rant?

I have trust in Baz that, although amazed at DWZ's salary, still able to deal with it very differently to what you apparently would.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That is an additional point, it's all very well to look back with 100% hindsight and criticise what was a very reasonable decision at the time.

Go Dogs
But that's not what triggered your initial response.

That is a valid point, but you didn't make it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh good you've clarified your original point now, rather than carrying on conflating :grinning:
Why did I need to clarify it, did you not read the original post? It was the first 7 words of the post.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But that's not what triggered your initial response.
That is a valid point, but you didn't make it.
That's why I said "that is an additional point", ie; not the original point, but additional to the original point.

Maybe I need to start highlighting and underlining the first words of every post.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why did I need to clarify it, did you not read the original post? It was the first 7 words of the post.

Go Dogs
Then why did you go off on a tangent about it. I guess you wanted your cake and eat it because of your defence of the past Admin.

You unnecessarily conflated the issue with your replies.

We all want to discuss it reasonably as part of our clubs recent history.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Then why did you go off on a tangent about it. I guess you wanted your cake and eat it because of your defence of the past Admin.
You unnecessarily conflated the issue with your replies.
We all want to discuss it reasonably as part of our clubs recent history.
What I posted was on exactly the same theme " "IF this is supposed to something recent" , every post that followed was pointing out that "IF this is supposed to something recent" then it was 100% BULLSHIT.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What I posted was on exactly the same theme " "IF this is supposed to something recent" , every post that followed was pointing out that "IF this is supposed to something recent" then it was 100% BULLSHIT.

Go Dogs
Whod eva ya reckon :grinning:

Already forgotten.

All a bit silly to argue about something so harmless as:

But I do hope Baz takes up your ideas on how to deal with DWZ's contract.

"He would be angry, pissed off, annoyed, displeased, hostile etc. He would have also done something about it, shopped him around, told him he wasn't worth it, dropped him from the NRL squad, told him to find a new home, start kicking stones in the car park, anything to force him out.

Maybe it's just me, but after 9 months I would be well past "amazed", I'd have moved on to other emotions and I sure as hell would have done something about it".

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just because its manageable doesn't mean there wasn't mistakes made does it? I disagree on the Pay re-signing it was absolutely diabolical he was totally out of his depth and boarding on unprofessional and set us back at least a year. Re-signing the likes of Lewis and C Smith for a another year when they still had a year to run is just bad management plus the majority of the signings have been busts. The previous management have left a mess to clean up there's no denying that it's just lucky we have the right admin in now to navigate us out of it without writing off 4 years.
Agree to disagree. You can’t have 30 superstars in your squad and at the time guys like Lewis were firmly in the ‘will he or won’t he’ camp. Neither of those guys would be on much and 12 months isn’t a big deal. Had they been extended multiple years, a different conversation. For Pay he was never the long term solution, it was about getting to end of the cap mess. If that didn’t happen would we have gotten Baz? JAC? Others? It’s easy to criticise in hindsight. I’d love to see half the smug TK members sit on a board and make calls at the time they actually need to be made.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. You can’t have 30 superstars in your squad and at the time guys like Lewis were firmly in the ‘will he or won’t he’ camp. Neither of those guys would be on much and 12 months isn’t a big deal. Had they been extended multiple years, a different conversation. For Pay he was never the long term solution, it was about getting to end of the cap mess. If that didn’t happen would we have gotten Baz? JAC? Others? It’s easy to criticise in hindsight. I’d love to see half the smug TK members sit on a board and make calls at the time they actually need to be made.
No one is saying you have to have 30 superstars are they? Everyone is aware you need depth and squad fillers but what did the previous admin bring in that would have been anything besides a stop gap option? They bring in Dean Britt when someone like Toby Rudolf was available for similar money as one example. No one expects them to get it right every time either but you want more hits then misses and they missed on the vast majority.

Who knows who we would have got instead of Tbaz but he has shown what happens when you bring in a coach that can recruit which is why it was a massive waste of a year re-signing Pay.

No one is saying being on a board is easy and the Anderson board was quick enough to point out previous mistakes made so it’s fair game for them to wear criticism too wouldn’t you say?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are you sure? Do you really want me on the board? :tearsofjoy:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Whod eva ya reckon :grinning:
Already forgotten.
All a bit silly to argue about something so harmless as:
But I do hope Baz takes up your ideas on how to deal with DWZ's contract.
Same here, that water is well passed under the bridge 8-)

From what I have heard DWZ is on a bit more than we would probably pay right now, for all the reasons that everyone knows (or should know). But it's no where near as dramatic as some would have us believe salary cap wise. If it was then the agitation to move him on would be loud and unrelenting and impossible to hide. The rats would have smelt it and, being journalists, couldn't resist headlining it.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No one is saying you have to have 30 superstars are they? Everyone is aware you need depth and squad fillers but what did the previous admin bring in that would have been anything besides a stop gap option? They bring in Dean Britt when someone like Toby Rudolf was available for similar money as one example. No one expects them to get it right every time either but you want more hits then misses and they missed on the vast majority.

Who knows who we would have got instead of Tbaz but he has shown what happens when you bring in a coach that can recruit which is why it was a massive waste of a year re-signing Pay.

No one is saying being on a board is easy and the Anderson board was quick enough to point out previous mistakes made so it’s fair game for them to wear criticism too wouldn’t you say?
Well I wouldn’t be comparing 12 month extensions of Lewis and Pay to an imaginary $10m salary cap and 3 years of purgatory, but let’s not go over old ground again. Baz (nor anyone) would’ve been able to recruit significantly for 2020 had they come in 12 months earlier. Of course everyone makes mistakes, just as likely will Warburton and members of the current board (4 of whom still serve per previous admin). There’s always rigorous debate - just as there was with the CEO appointment recently. Doesn’t make anyone ‘incompetent’ as some around here like to claim.