News Daley urges Cotric to stay at Canberra for less

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
750k is a consistent rep centre... Cotric aint that and there is no way the board would do that.
Then what other choices do we have in terms of signing a decent centre?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canberra legend Laurie Daley has warned off-contract Raiders winger Nick Cotric to be wary of leaving to join Canterbury on big dollars, saying the pressure to perform at the battling Bulldogs is a risk.

Daley‘s advice comes as the battle for Cotric’s signature is heating up with the flyer’s agent hoping to secure a five-year deal.

The NCA NewsWire can reveal his manager Sam Ayoub is pushing for a long-term contract so he can lock in his future with the Raiders outside back.

Ayoub has linked with the Australian and NSW representative for another three seasons, so he wants a bigger deal to remain his agent beyond this date.

However, it’s understood that Cotric is only interested in a three-year deal as rivals Canterbury circle for his signature.

Daley believes the Cooma-born 21-year-old must think seriously about the obstacles of joining a rebuilding club like the Bulldogs before committing.

“Nick needs to weigh up what the environment will be like at Canterbury,” declared Daley, who won three premierships at the Raiders.

“Can they turn it around? Is he part of the solution? Are they going to sign other players? The challenges that he will face at Canterbury over the next couple of years because it isn’t going to be a quick fix.

“Whereas he is in a stable footy program at Canberra, it will always be competitive, and you always know what you are going to get.”

Canberra desperately want to retain Cotric, but they are facing tough competition from cashed-up Canterbury.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer a $750,000 contract over three years, while the Raiders are happy to start negotiations around the $500,000 mark also for three seasons.

Canterbury wants to lure a top-line player like Cotric in a bid to climb off the bottom of the competition ladder, but they are unwilling to offer him a deal over three years.

Daley has urged the winger to remain at Canberra if the Bulldogs don’t offer a significantly higher offer.

“If it is not a massive amount different then I don’t think you would be looking to move,” he said.

“Obviously, if it is a massive gap then you have to consider it, but you are always prepared to stay for less in a strong team that you know is going to be competitive rather than going to an unknown.”

Cotric has been a revelation since joining Canberra in 2017, scoring 36 tries in his 78 games for the club to date.

He aspires to play in the centres, which could attract more money on the open market.

However, Daley says Cotric should stay on the wing and own the position as one of the game’s premier try scorers.

“I’ve heard Nick wants to play in the centres, but you’d like to think that a winger is nearly worth more than a centre,” he said.

“It depends on how the game is going to be played and what this new (six-again) rule does.

“I think over the last few years, wingers have been more valuable than centres with the metres they run coming out of trouble.

“I know Nick played in the outside backs as a junior and would excel there, but I see him as a very good winger capable of earning big bucks as a winger.”
The article in the first instance says that the bulldogs are willing to sign cotric for 750k a year for E3 years then later on says they are only willing to offer him a 2 year deal and he is after a 3 year deal.....am I missing something here?

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, I would rather keep that money for our juniors and play Averillo for a season or 2 in the centres with Hoppa at the back and occasionally swap them while he seasons into a regular 1st grader at either 5/8 or fullback. Throw a serious chunk at Grant or similar as this position is vital in today's game and even more so with the new faster rules.

Must sign a gun 9
What about a 7 ? A lot more important

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we really afford the gamble ? If we have that much money and we are throwing it around buy a proper proven halfback and have averillo at 6 without decent halves we aren’t going to improve that Kyle Flanagan stat just goes to show hey

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time a struggling club tries to sign a top player, you hear this same shit. The Raiders had to deal with it years ago and now its our turn. Sigh
Not always, works in reverse for us. All media were blowing chunks when they got wind of Klemmer wanting a Knights move. Arseholes with agendas

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
rather spine so Blake Green, Johnson, Coates (i reckon this kid could be a great FB), hastings should be priorities over Cotric

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol at 750k... can't be true. No chance and if it is then this club has officially carked it...
The same offer was put to Corey Oates by the current management before he knocked us back remained at the Broncos LOL

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Cotric is going to shake this club down. He knows our desperation. I feel it in my ballsack.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some other stooge reported Canberra offered 500k but wants 550k and the centre spot.

I know the board are dumb fucks but to offer 200k more than he wants?
Yeah surely not ,i know we have to offer overs at present but youd think $600k 3 year deal would be enough

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes not the messiah.

Also lol about staying at the raiders for less. Who in any professional would stay in Canberra for less money?
Not me, it's why I left at the time.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Then what other choices do we have in terms of signing a decent centre?
Fukn plenty of decent centres would jump on half a million a season. Pick one.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
750k?? No fanks
Really don't think it's 750k..

Daley today was on the radio again saying "stay.. it's not that much more money to leave". So umm I don't think he'll be saying that about an extra 250k a season.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every time a struggling club tries to sign a top player, you hear this same shit. The Raiders had to deal with it years ago and now its our turn. Sigh
This is more like the media chipping in with a bit of anti-Bulldog propaganda to put pressure on Cotric to do "the right thing" by his club. The story will go down well with fans, who will rally around their team, and message bomb the club to save him from the "Dirty Dogs".

It's quite elitist when you think about it. The suggestion is that a club that's down should stay down; and leave the top sides to enjoy the stratosphere, without having to fight off new challengers.

According to NRL belief systems, it's "not cricket" to poach a top side's best players; but it's OK if they play for a side that the elites think shouldn't be up there with their "water view", or Murdoch supported clubs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know... At least unlike Napa we'd have a good player to show for the overspending. Still, once again they're bidding against themselves. Who else is offering Cotric even 600k?
Maybe we can force Canberra to pay him $750k, then see what other talent they have to release.