Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it’s clear we win that Ashes outright if Lyon plays

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not at all saying Green didn’t deserve it, match winning runs but Lyon getting 10 wickets plus almost 50 runs and missing out on MoM is brutal. First player in history to get 5 wickets and top score with bat in an innings

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I stand completely corrected if wrong, but I always thought that if it hits the batsman on the full..foot, pads..that you rule on the projection of the ball..it doesn’t take into any assumed deviation off the pitch. However, as I said I might be wrong.
That’s the interpretation umpires are encouraged to follow in Sydney Grade Cricket. I know several former First Graders who have spoken about this. If the ball hits you on the full and in front of the stumps, the umpire is to assume it is going straight. Doesnt quite work for one of “Hollywood” Warne’s big turning leg breaks. Obviously technology in test cricket sees it differently.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
While it is good that we won the 1st test, there are obviously some big cracks in the batting order that need to be plugged. Labuschagne and Head at the moment are not performing at the required level. Will they come good? One hopes so, but I’m not so sure.

Head will always be someone who can win you a game in a session or fail miserably. His shot selection early in his innings lets him down.

Warner’s retirement has also left a gaping hole, that I doubt Smith can fill for any length of time. Clearly his best spot is number 3 or 4. The one shining light has been Green, who showed that a solid defence and patience at test level is a prerequisite for success.

The 2nd innings batting was deplorable. Smith could have easily left alone that ball well outside his off stump, that he played on. Marnus could have easily done the same down the leg side with it getting close to stumps. Both brain fades.

Head and Carey didn’t need to play expansive drives through a packed cover and mid off area and perished.

Those 4 really threw their wickets away, through poor choice of shots.

With many in the team getting close to the end, I suspect a lull in performance of the Australian Team is not far away.

There are not many young batsmen in Shield cricket knocking the door down for selection. And obviously Bancroft is “persona non grata” as far as the team is concerned. I can’t understand why Maxwell and Ponting are pushing Fraser McGurks barrow, because He is clearly a short form cricketer judging by his performances in Shield Cricket, which you could term guest appearances at the crease.

Bowling wise I think we have players coming through. We just might have to wait for the winning u/19’s to come through the system, to shore up the batting.

A lull is definitely not far away.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s the interpretation umpires are encouraged to follow in Sydney Grade Cricket. I know several former First Graders who have spoken about this. If the ball hits you on the full and in front of the stumps, the umpire is to assume it is going straight. Doesnt quite work for one of “Hollywood” Warne’s big turning leg breaks. Obviously technology in test cricket sees it differently.
Believe they change that rule a few seasons ago . So if it hits on the full you still have to follow the trajectory

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As of 4th of March 2024, it has been two years since Shane Warne died at just 52. Here is a moving tribute read by Nasser Hussain, (posted at the time) and a reminder, that on the field, he was without peer. RIP.

Legend, one of the greatest that world cricket will ever see for possibly a hundred more years.
Sorely missed and taken too soon etc but fmd what a life you lived Warney.
I loved the bloke more than some ex girlfriends :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol England.

Do you think bairstow will ever admit he's actually out?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
kiwis 3 for 71 at lunch
hopefully we can restrict them to under 200

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score