Cricket 2023/24 Thread

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shamar Joseph Player of the match and series.. What a find..expect to hear great things about him in the future.
I know we lost but reading the articles this morning how exciting for West Indies cricket and world cricket if they can continue to climb the rankings. Hopefully this is just the beginning for them.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I know we lost but reading the articles this morning how exciting for West Indies cricket and world cricket if they can continue to climb the rankings. Hopefully this is just the beginning for them.
They like most others have a financial problem. Just to give some context, this is what the ICC fund each country each year noting the Windies capability to build local TV rights and other funding pathways is constrained by population.

Windies $27.5M
NZ $28.3M
Australia $37.3M
England $41.3M

So what do you think India get. Btw, no typo here. This is legit.
$231M per year. Yes - $231 million US dollars per year.

You just gotta shake your head.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
They like most others have a financial problem. Just to give some context, this is what the ICC fund each country each year noting the Windies capability to build local TV rights and other funding pathways is constrained by population.

Windies $27.5M
NZ $28.3M
Australia $37.3M
England $41.3M

Isn't the BCCI worth over a billion US? And no other country's board is worth over 100mil. ICC should stand for Indian Cricket Council

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Isn't the BCCI worth over a billion US? And no other country's board is worth over 100mil. ICC should stand for Indian Cricket Council
When this model was first developed, Michael Holding was part of the ICC committee. He suggested how unfair this was. Was told well they earn all the money. Bad luck. So he quit.

Its a joke.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Windies $27.5M
NZ $28.3M
Australia $37.3M
England $41.3M

Pretty crazy hey.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I find this kind of quote to be a joke and a half. Firstly what else is he going to say true or not and secondly, guess Lyono never played against Kallis in his prime. Top 5 allrounder of all time and you could make an argument the best.

Why not ask Lyono what he thinks of Cameron Bancroft's chances in the Australian team (hint hint).
Bancroft....
You mean the sandpaper guy?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bancroft....
You mean the sandpaper guy?
Yeah I agree that Kallis is a top 5 all rounder of all time. Number 1 for me is Sir Garfield Sobers. Could bat, bowl medium pace, orthodox spin, chinaman spin, field anywhere close to the wicket. Hard to beat. I’ve also got Imran Khan, Kapil Dev and maybe Ian Botham in there as well. Maybe Wasim Akram aka was-he akrim by the 12th man.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that Kallis is a top 5 all rounder of all time. Number 1 for me is Sir Garfield Sobers. Could bat, bowl medium pace, orthodox spin, chinaman spin, field anywhere close to the wicket. Hard to beat. I’ve also got Imran Khan, Kapil Dev and maybe Ian Botham in there as well.
Gotta throw Keith in there as well. And while I never saw him play, if the stories are correct he may have been the best of the lot.

Garry and Keith were just 2 guys that if they felt like it - would destroy you. Just most times they didn't feel like it.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Talk about a comeback ..Pommy spinner debutant Hartley gets belted all over the place in the first innings.. ends up taking the first four Indian wickets..got 6 wickets with India 9 down
Just watched all the Indian wickets. There was some seriously bad batting. Reckon Bharat is the only one who can say he got a nut. The rest was just a car wreck.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 sides declared behind this year and lost lol, boy it was dumb at the time and even dumber now you lost doing it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Btw - anyone want to say something about Cummins 1st innings dec? Thought it was super ballsy and agreed with it but if Australia lose....
I think it was fine. Obviously didn't turn out the way he'd hoped, but he knew the next day was going to be a scorcher... bowlers would be forced to bowl short spells and would probably be a bit down on pace. Wanting to rip into them for a while in the evening sesh with the new ball and do some damage made perfect sense. Windies might have put on an extra 30-40 runs without that early breakthrough. Much easier to see off bowlers who are down on pace and bowling shorter spells.

It took a pretty remarkable individual effort to get the job done for them in the fourth innings. Shamar Joseph made a legend of himself and I'm all for it. You've got to love cricket at times like this. What a story.