Cricket 2022/23 thread

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
This was a pretty hefty one day knock. Top bowling, away conditions. 7 of the first 8 didn't reach double figures. And you put on a cool 90 odd personally batting with the #11. And this was batting with a normal old school bat.
How quickly the kiddies forget.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not dissimilar to Maxi's great innings was one amazing effort from Bevan when he scored185 not out for the rest of the World XI against Asia XI. Scored off 132 balls against a bowling attack featuring Wasim, Vaas, Razzaq, Murali and Kumble. Second highest score was Mark Waugh's 28.

Huge respect to Maxi though, when the body starts to fail you, it takes great mental strength to perservere.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not dissimilar to Maxi's great innings was one amazing effort from Bevan when he scored185 not out for the rest of the World XI against Asia XI. Scored off 132 balls against a bowling attack featuring Wasim, Vaas, Razzaq, Murali and Kumble. Second highest score was Mark Waugh's 28.

Huge respect to Maxi though, when the body starts to fail you, it takes great mental strength to perservere.
Bevan was a seriously good bat but also a seriously weird fck. And still is today. He got turfed from the Australian team not because he couldn't play the short ball but because no one could stand him. You just didn't want to spend 5 days with the guy.

Shame because the dude could really bat. An absolute solid, classic LHer.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Melbourne Cup week, Australia’s come back last night may just be the biggest come back since Kiwi in 1983!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bevan was a seriously good bat but also a seriously weird fck. And still is today. He got turfed from the Australian team not because he couldn't play the short ball but because no one could stand him. You just didn't want to spend 5 days with the guy.

Shame because the dude could really bat. An absolute solid, classic LHer.
A top flight Left-Hander.. I thought the excuse of the short ball was a bit dodgy. Now I get it, it was alright to have him in the 50 overs game..they could tolerate him in the dressing room for one day but not any longer!! Lol.. Now it makes sense why he was not chosen for the Tour to the West Indies that followed his remarkable rescue mission at the SCG when he should’ve been given another chance at Test level as a result of it.

You are right he is still a bit quirky ..he was supposed to be a batting consultant with NSW this season but it all fell through. Check out his Tweet, (from his actual Tweeter feed..the article did not print the wink or unsure emoji at the end of the final line..)

Note-The Kennel allows a wink but not an unsure emoji

“Unfortunately this means, this year they won't be receiving the magical bevo "finishing" methodolgy ;)

Maybe next year”

Ookkayyyy.. lol!

Last edited:

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
so if nz beat Sri Lanka tonight does that confirm the semis or can Pakistan still make it

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
so if nz beat Sri Lanka tonight does that confirm the semis or can Pakistan still make it
Depends on the winning margins. If Pakistan thrash England on Saturday and NZ only just beat Sri Lanka, I think the Pakis would go through?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This was a pretty hefty one day knock. Top bowling, away conditions. 7 of the first 8 didn't reach double figures. And you put on a cool 90 odd personally batting with the #11. And this was batting with a normal old school bat.
How quickly the kiddies forget.
I obviously didn't watch this one live, but have seen the highlights. Back then 200 - 250 was seen as a decent ODI score for the whole innings and so scores of 150+ were seen as almost impossible (although i think Kapil Dev had a big one around then too, was is Ravi Shastri?).

The Master Blaster certainly had swagger.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I obviously didn't watch this one live, but have seen the highlights. Back then 200 - 250 was seen as a decent ODI score for the whole innings and so scores of 150+ were seen as almost impossible (although i think Kapil Dev had a big one around then too, was is Ravi Shastri?).

The Master Blaster certainly had swagger.
Viv sold a gazillion DF bats back in the day. Then he went to SS and sold a gazillion of them as well.

A guy that bats a metre out of his crease with no helmet facing 145+ and was happy to hook off his nose was definitely something back then. And God help cricket if you gave him today's bats.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Viv sold a gazillion DF bats back in the day. Then he went to SS and sold a gazillion of them as well.

A guy that bats a metre out of his crease with no helmet facing 145+ and was happy to hook off his nose was definitely something back then. And God help cricket if you gave him today's bats.
I thought it was the other way around, started with the SS jumbo, then went to Duncan Fearnley, then
I remember seeing footage of him using a V100 later? Slazenger bats were my favourite as a kid/teen, loved my V600

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I thought it was the other way around, started with the SS jumbo, then went to Duncan Fearnley, then
I remember seeing footage of him using a V100 later? Slazenger bats were my favourite as a kid/teen, loved my V600
Could be right. There was a rumour going around that the Slaz bats later on were actually M&H with Slaz stickers.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh - you mean that because you use cannon bats these days on midget grounds against generally shit bowling it makes it better than everything else?

Inferior? Guarantee if you gave Maxi the bat that Bev used against the Windies that day he doesn't make 50. Just coz you have the hardware to launch doesn't make you a better cricketer.

Cricket advice from a Travis Head loser? Thank fck the barrel has a bottom to it.
Excuses everywhere. No wonder your a government worker

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just had a look at the International Cricket schedule in Australia for the 23/24 season.. Australia are playing Pakistan in a 3 test series, and then they are playing the Windies also, in a 3 Test series.

They then will face the Windies again, in 3 One Day Internationals, and a further 3 T20 matches.

How competitive is THIS Australian international cricket season gunna be?:unamused:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Excuses everywhere. No wonder your a government worker
Excuses? Happy to bet that Maxi will finish his ODI career with an average less than Michael Bevan.

You win - I'll rub your last bet loss. I win - you put my winning words in your sig 4 ever.

You game or are all talk?

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Excuses? Happy to bet that Maxi will finish his ODI career with an average less than Michael Bevan.

You win - I'll rub your last bet loss. I win - you put my winning words in your sig 4 ever.

You game or are all talk?
well that would be a stupid bet no chance Maxwell would even get near bevans average