• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unlikely to be a panacea, and no system is perfect, but so many people have developed Covid whilst in Hotel quarantine. Common sense says spreading people out further with some fresh air is going to be better for physical and mental health then in a hotel. Hotel quarantine was a great stop gap, but why weren't purpose built facilities done a year ago? Nobody seems to be able to answer that. Luckily it appears security has been tightened with regards to Hotel quarantine generally - remember when people were just ducking out when they felt like it and security guards were rooting the inmates?

No idea about other countries. Thankfully, with vaccinations rising, tracing improvements, testing getting quicker (and home testing more reliable), we are ready to largely move away from the reliance on hotels. Home quarantine will be playing a large part going forward - hopefully the proper procedures are in place.

No quarantine facility would be a white elephant, especially if there is some way to utilise it when there isn't a pandemic. We seem to be able to spend millions on detention centers on remote islands that often become even more obsolete though - but that's a discussion for another day i guess :grinning:.
The aspect of hotel guarantine that would probably have been avoided, if we have Howard Springs type facilities, was you wouldn't catch C19 in a poorly venitilated guarantine hotel as a lot have.

Those facilities could be used for emergency accommodation or repurposed for other usage.

We will have other pandemics and who knows what crazy variant may be around the corner with this one where facility outside a major city could be necessary.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
All good. You as a NSWelshman are entitled to your take on it and Gladys' theory. You live there so she is accountable to you guys for policy.

Waiting to lockdown for 2 weeks while it was still in Bondi wasn't exactly a medically accepted universal approach by leading epideamiologists tho and has now spread to NZ, Vic, SA, ACT and the Fed Govt now endorsing quick, short lockdowns or were till recently. (Now it seems it's freedumb day come what may).

Every decision in life is a gamble in hindsight but there's consequences. Over 300 deaths, business closed for over 3 months so far, you guys in lockdown, so it really was a pretty big shot at keeping things open that backfired.

Our Qld gals :grinning: made conscious decisions not to follow that Chant/Gladys path so they can't be blamed in hindsight either for their outcomes.

We, the public, have to make reasonable assessments of each our own State's Premier, CHO decisions but Qld will no doubt get our turn at dealing with huge outbreaks our own way.
I agree with all of that she made the decision based on the numbers were low and people were praising here that she had kept things open so yep it was politically based and not best practice and predictably it backfired. And she won’t survive the next election because of it. Put it all on black came out red.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Petrol you mean?
That's a the most recent story i saw. There were talks of bringing the army in.

i also saw when Norway opened up without warning, quite a few went nuts, got smashed and started punching on.

crazy world. I might call the wife now to make sure we have enough toilet paper...

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all of that she made the decision based on the numbers were low and people were praising here that she had kept things open so yep it was politically based and not best practice and predictably it backfired. And she won’t survive the next election because of it. Put it all on black came out red.
also the only evidence that delta was more transmissible was from countries that were over run with the virus anyway

at the time , most in NSW supported the decision , we don’t want to be lockdown over a few cases which we were able to handle all the other times

anyway , hindsight is a bitch .. Victoria still coping it, and NZ with one hotel breach still hasn’t got rid of it

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good. You as a NSWelshman are entitled to your take on it and Gladys' theory. You live there so she is accountable to you guys for policy.

Waiting to lockdown for 2 weeks while it was still in Bondi wasn't exactly a medically accepted universal approach by leading epideamiologists tho and has now spread to NZ, Vic, SA, ACT and the Fed Govt now endorsing quick, short lockdowns or were till recently. (Now it seems it's freedumb day come what may).

Every decision in life is a gamble in hindsight but there's consequences. Over 300 deaths, business closed for over 3 months so far, you guys in lockdown, so it really was a pretty big shot at keeping things open that backfired.

Our Qld gals :grinning: made conscious decisions not to follow that Chant/Gladys path so they can't be blamed in hindsight either for their outcomes.

We, the public, have to make reasonable assessments of each our own State's Premier, CHO decisions but Qld will no doubt get our turn at dealing with huge outbreaks our own way.
nz was returned traveller breach can’t blame NSW for that case .. otherwise blame China for all of NSW Cases

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
also the only evidence that delta was more transmissible was from countries that were over run with the virus anyway

at the time , most in NSW supported the decision , we don’t want to be lockdown over a few cases which we were able to handle all the other times

anyway , hindsight is a bitch .. Victoria still coping it, and NZ with one hotel breach still hasn’t got rid of it
I was one of the ones that backed it but said at the same time with my pessimism bet you it fucks up though. I get why she did it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's a very onerous responsibility of having the outcome of millions of peoples' lives in your hands.

You'd like to think that any decisions that pollies are called upon to make, are done with the solemnity of in the best interests of their constituents as their main priority.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Unlikely to be a panacea, and no system is perfect, but so many people have developed Covid whilst in Hotel quarantine. Common sense says spreading people out further with some fresh air is going to be better for physical and mental health then in a hotel. Hotel quarantine was a great stop gap, but why weren't purpose built facilities done a year ago? Nobody seems to be able to answer that. Luckily it appears security has been tightened with regards to Hotel quarantine generally - remember when people were just ducking out when they felt like it and security guards were rooting the inmates?

No idea about other countries. Thankfully, with vaccinations rising, tracing improvements, testing getting quicker (and home testing more reliable), we are ready to largely move away from the reliance on hotels. Home quarantine will be playing a large part going forward - hopefully the proper procedures are in place.

No quarantine facility would be a white elephant, especially if there is some way to utilise it when there isn't a pandemic. We seem to be able to spend millions on detention centers on remote islands that often become even more obsolete though - but that's a discussion for another day i guess :grinning:.
Fair enough. I don't agree.
Why weren't they done a year ago?
First, the alpha strain in 2020 wasn't known to be airborne so hotel room isolation was enough at the time.
Second, Australia suppressed alpha pretty quickly - you'll remember that from June 2020-June 2021 we were relatively Covid free.
Mental health maybe, but that's not specifically measurable and I don't think justifies the cost.
Yes, hotel security was terrible originally, particularly Victoria where poorly trained contractors were in charge back then.
What 'purpose' would they be used for when the major threat of Covid passes?
Assuming it's another 100 years until the next major pandemic (possibly not of course) - they might be a little outdated by then.
I just don't think it would've made a huge difference - especially when the Commonwealth borders were closed and caps on arrivals were in place.
If we had thousands or higher daily infections maybe - but we never reached that.
Yes, Delta moved the goal posts somewhat but that was only 3 months ago when vaccinations had started rolling out and it seems as though we're getting on top of it now. Anyway all good, agree to disagree on this topic.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
and NZ with one hotel breach still hasn’t got rid of it
Must be frustrating for them.

This Delta seems impossible to shake, and will end up being the variant that forced everyone to face facts that a zero policy is not sustainable longer term.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
nz was returned traveller breach can’t blame NSW for that case .. otherwise blame China for all of NSW Cases
Not "blaming" NSW Riggs. It happened. Learn the best way to deal with mitigating the spread is my thoughts.

But yes blame China for cover up of the exact severity of this. Reprehensible CCP.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe this was the NSW playbook all along:.

1 Get absolutely recked for a few months
2 Score extra vaccines and dangle a vaccine passport to get vaccination rates up.
3 Score international travel for residents, and you get to look down on the other states as if its some sort of victory.
4 ?
5 Profit

yes, the above is tongue in cheek.... :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't stand these media people talking about "freedom day", you just know idiots are going to go OTT. G'ment has already said that things are going to be staged down in degrees, no sudden opening up. Giving people the wrong sense of things is borderline criminal, it will absolutely be detrimental to some people's mental wellbeing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe this was the NSW playbook all along:.

1 Get absolutely recked for a few months
2 Score extra vaccines and dangle a vaccine passport to get vaccination rates up.
3 Score international travel for residents, and you get to look down on the other states as if its some sort of victory.
4 ?
5 Profit

yes, the above is tongue in cheek.... :grinning:

Add this to your tongue in cheek.

6. Scomo and Gladys sending infected truck drivers up here to bugger us up too.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Add this to your tongue in cheek.

6. Scomo and Gladys sending infected truck drivers up here to bugger us up too.
If it results in extra vaccines during the next Scomo begging tour and we get rates up, it might be a good thing...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can't stand these media people talking about "freedom day", you just know idiots are going to go OTT. G'ment has already said that things are going to be staged down in degrees, no sudden opening up. Giving people the wrong sense of things is borderline criminal, it will absolutely be detrimental to some people's mental wellbeing.
And man if it all goes pear shaped, we are all gonna suffer and never get it back under control, ....with the way our various State policies and regulations work.

I can see a lot of pain and suffering for a long time as people go crazy and safety measures are ignored.

Hope I am so so wrong on this but I worry.

Already there is evidence that the Govt have deliberately directed vax meant for disabled and aged care to other of their priority areas.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Went to emergency last night, a misshap with boiling oil and eyeball **** of a joint was absolutely packed, gave me a few drips of shit to wash out eye and 4 hrs later still didn't have a dr come in so just left.
Not sure when they open up what impact covid will have on already packed Hospitals but ontop of how they usually are I guess it's going to be pretty hectic.
How you feeling now my bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.