Cotric to raiders in 2022

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don't think it's "whinging" to discuss and ask the question about the merits of just letting Cotric leave without a possible return for it. On face value the only reason it's good is if it get's us something in return.... and not just $$$. If we are ok for 2022 in SC then it's best we use Cotric for 2022 then to help another club out. As the Storm have shown and said many times, we want something back, we just don't help the other club's.

Cotric's value won't wain in 2022. if anything with a team around him that's finally getting better his value may actually improve to parity if we still wanted to offload him for 2023.

Although I'm sure Gus and the current guy's have us finally looking good they don't just get a blank cheque just yet after the miserable years we've been going through. I think it's ok if some are still cautious in getting to excited just yet. Things are looking great BUT when we haven't had good players in so long I think it's fair that some fans wonder why we might release some without any apparent benefit.

For me, I'm thinking Mahoney is in the pipeline BUT that's just me hoping so it makes sense.
Spot on

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It's hard to please everyone but our management are doing a great job trying or better still trying to fix the roster.
Let's be honest regarding the two players Cotric and Allen.
Cotric, a great young but overpriced player as a winger, it is unfortunate that he is the casualty of the being signed on expectations to play center where until now has failed to do so at both Canberra and Canterbury !
Allen, he too is a good young player who is on 400k a season for 3 seasons, Souths paying big chunk of the first year, not bad for a SOO player that can cover 3 positions.
We need to balance the roster...
But whingers are never pleased...Management are damned if they did and damned if they don't !!!
There is no way the bunnies paying a big chunk of Allen’s contract. We chased him and gave him a new deal. Not took on his old one.

Sorry mate that’s just pie in the sky.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nope, this is wrong. You can’t have SC pressure in isolation, it has to be connected to a plan and improvement, be it now or later. Your logic is flawed.
There is a plan - to free up SC space, now or later. Doesn’t have to be anything else just because you want one.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is a plan - to free up SC space, now or later. Doesn’t have to be anything else just because you want one.
100%, you need to do it now when you get the chance, you don’t want it biting you in the arse later. What if he has another season ending injury and we can’t offload him later. The moves need to be done now, the earlier the better, the sooner we cut out our overpaid players the sooner we’ll get salary cap balance and this is essential for success on the field. It’s a no brainer if you ask me. It’s about building a successful squad for the future in the most quickest way possible.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no way the bunnies paying a big chunk of Allen’s contract. We chased him and gave him a new deal. Not took on his old one.

Your choice to believe or not believe.
This is how it unfolded, Souths tried to offload him to us at full price, we weren't interested, they came back with an offer to pay approximately 200k of his first year that sweetened the deal, he is on 400k a season, you can workout how much he is getting on average.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I agree, makes no sense. We were desperate and Rabbitohs were doing Allan a favour.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
45BE2E30-95B8-4239-832D-072BAB79E5F8.jpegCan anyone post this, see how much we are freeing up.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nick Cotric will return as a Raider with his stint as a Bulldog lasting just 14 matches.
Cotric will sign with Canberra immediately — joining the club on a long-term deal believed to be three seasons.

He rejected interest from the Wests Tigers to return to the club which handed him his NRL debut in 2017. Cotric burst onto the scene as a Raider scoring 16 tries from 24 matches in his debut season.

He went on to play for NSW and Australia in Canberra before opting to make a high profile switch to Canterbury this year.

However his stint at Belmore has been short-lived.

A toe injury not only ended his season prematurely but it also doubled as his last appearance in a Canterbury jersey.

Cotric still had two seasons left on his deal worth about $1.3 million and had returned to Canterbury pre-season training.

The move could be announced as early as Monday.
Canterbury is tight on the cap for season 2023 — after already adding Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney — and although they were reluctant to lose Cotric they needed to move on a player that other teams wanted.

Prop Luke Thompson has also been linked with a move elsewhere for 2023 despite two years left on his deal.

When it became clear he would no longer stay at Belmore, Cotric’s attention was drawn to a return to Canberra. The Tigers met with Cotric but he has opted to head back to Canberra having played 93 top grade games – including the 2019 grand final loss to the Roosters.

The move comes was made possible after the Raiders released Bailey Simonsson to join the Eels immediately on a three year deal.

The Raiders also released outside back Curtis Scott during the season. Scott is still awaiting NRL clearance before he join officially join the Eels on a one year deal.

Cotric will headline a list of recruits for the Raiders. He will be joined by ex-Bulldogs teammate Adam Elliott, former Titans skipper Jamal Fogarty and ex-Cowboy Peter Hola.

It has been a big few days in the player market for the Raiders.

They lost Simonsson and gained Cotric. But veteran hooker Josh Hodgson also announced he would join the Eels on a two year deal from 2023.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Please play Naden wing Baz, I don't want any of our shitters starting there or some experiment with Schoupp or whatever.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Time to tear up the season ticket mate
Nah mate just shit to think after getting a spoon we give up our second best back for what! To strengthen the eels and raiders?

I agree Gus has earned some trust already and I have that still something is coming out of it.

I don’t like seeing 22 weakened.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Disagree totally. You don’t dump a premium players to free cap for >1 year.
I have no inside knowledge but if this happens we’ll see something in return, no doubt at all.
its insane otherwise and Gus is definitely not that.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah mate just shit to think after getting a spoon we give up our second best back for what! To strengthen the eels and raiders?

I agree Gus has earned some trust already and I have that still something is coming out of it.

I don’t like seeing 22 weakened.
Just wait and see what comes of it mate. We're not run by numpties anymore, so no doubt there's reasoning behind it all

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus did this at Penrith… released Jennings, Dwz and waqa Blake