Cotric to raiders in 2022

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only positive from cotric signing was it was the beginning of attracting better players. Was it worth it? Hell yes… he was only a winger/centre but it could have been the 1% difference in other players signing with us over other clubs. Knowing we are rebuilding. So thank you cotric for your contribution on and off the field. Time to move on and build a new dynasty that our kids can be proud of.
Totally agree but the 99% was and still is $$$$$$$$$$$$$

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a chicken and the egg argument, what if we have the Cap space and Mahoney doesn't become available? We end up having to recruit and pay a player last minute before the NRL closes off contracts that we might otherwise not want. The problem is we have to spend 95% of the Cap every year and have 30 players. We can't bank it and have 29 players this year and then have 31 next year.

"Way in advance", by the time any new player arrives the season will be starting in ~3 months, hardly way in advance. As for 2023 we have 9 players off contract so no need to be looking now that far in advance.

Always a Bulldog
The solution to that is simple
We front-load payments to other players and bring in one of the minimum wage players in.
Ideally we get Mahoney a year early !

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yeah definitely agree with Coates. Didn't include the other 2 as Holmes played fullback all last year and Crichton was in a few different position. But agree when playing on the wing they're top notch. How do you feel about the rest of the list?
all on a lot less $$$ than Cotric and arguably all better footballers. Worthy noms for sure. I think offloading Cotric is great business from us

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The solution to that is simple
We front-load payments to other players and bring in one of the minimum wage players in.
Ideally we get Mahoney a year early !
That means cancelling the players current contracts, agreeing to and signing new contracts with the new annual Cap amounts and then having the NRL sign off on it. Since the NRL banned back loaded contracts I have not heard of one front loaded contract being approved by the NRL. For the same reasons as they banned back loading, front loading distorts the Cap from one year to the next. It most certainly wouldn't be a substantial amount as only small mounts are allowed in back loading and only for younger players getting more as they age. Not sure how anyone could justify front loading.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That means cancelling the players current contracts, agreeing to and signing new contracts with the new annual Cap amounts and then having the NRL sign off on it. Since the NRL banned back loaded contracts I have not heard of one front loaded contract being approved by the NRL. For the same reasons as they banned back loading, front loading distorts the Cap from one year to the next. It most certainly wouldn't be a substantial amount as only small mounts are allowed in back loading and only for younger players getting more as they age. Not sure how anyone could justify front loading.

Always a Bulldog
Technically I don't know the details of how it works, remember where there is a will there is a way !

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think he's a dud player however to back up your point even Nathan Merritt played an origin game lol
Corey Allan has also played origin.

I don't think Cotric's a dud and was exited when we signed him, but like most here, provably thinks he's on too much coin. TBF, he's also played for Australia :grinning:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Front and back ended deals are both allowed now. The NRL just has to sign them off. It isn't black and white. The highest amount front loaded I've seen reported is Fifita which was an extra 200k (1.3m this year, 1.1m next year, 1.1m the year after).

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Seriously who cares of cotric leaves I trust Gus and the board unlike previous boards they are getting the job done have faith sit back and trust the plan we will be a heavy weight really soon

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, Corey Allan on the wing (if we can’t get him off the books) wouldn’t provide us with anything different than Cotric did last year. Although I’d love to fuck Allan and Flanagan off , if we can’t I don’t really mind a backline of:

Dufty
Fox
Naden
Shoupp
Allan

Reactions: ATT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To be honest, Corey Allan on the wing (if we can’t get him off the books) wouldn’t provide us with anything different than Cotric did last year. Although I’d love to fuck Allan and Flanagan off , if we can’t I don’t really mind a backline of:

Dufty
Fox
Naden
Shoupp
Allan
Allan is a slug, Naden has to play wing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Front and back ended deals are both allowed now. The NRL just has to sign them off. It isn't black and white. The highest amount front loaded I've seen reported is Fifita which was an extra 200k (1.3m this year, 1.1m next year, 1.1m the year after).
That's not correct, 2020 was $1.1m in the Cap plus $150k allowance for relocation, moving, stamp duty, real estate agents fees and temporary accommodation expenses for DFafita and his family. The Titans also reportedly repaid him the $30k that secured his release from jail in Bali. As compensation to the residents the Titans also paid $10k for security gates and cameras at the house where he was caught trespassing.

That's not front loading in the Cap.

Got any other examples?

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's not correct, 2020 was $1.1m in the Cap plus $150k allowance for relocation, moving, stamp duty, real estate agents fees and temporary accommodation expenses for DFafita and his family. The Titans also reportedly repaid him the $30k that secured his release from jail in Bali. As compensation to the residents the Titans also paid $10k for security gates and cameras at the house where he was caught trespassing.

That's not front loading in the Cap.

Got any other examples?

Always a Bulldog
Kent and the journalists on NRL 360 who know more than you do all said that the NRL has backflipped on their back loading stance and I'd prefer to take their word over yours. Anyways the reports regarding Fifita were 1.3m in the cap this year.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Kent and the journalists on NRL 360 who know more than you do all said that the NRL has backflipped on their back loading stance and I'd prefer to take their word over yours.
It's still in the Salary Cap rules.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Where? Link me something official from the NRL that's recent.
What's on the NRL web site is only the layman's explanation, the actual Cap rules are in full on legalese. Registered NRL player agents/managers and the clubs have the current rules, if you know one ask if you can have a read, suggest you have a Law Society dictionary with you.

I have looked for examples of front and back loading since 2019 and I haven't found one, the NRL contract registration process rules them out.

Always a Bulldog