Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any bloody wonder it is not going well with the virus in Australia. Just what is it going to take to get these muppets to do the right thing? Their selfishness and that is what it is , more so than stupidity, is what is going to cause for the country to go backwards more than what it is. They just don't get it and by not issuing immediate on the spot fines or some other sort of tangible deterrent it is no wonder they just thumb their noses at the direction of those entrusted to enforce the rules. The NRL is just as bad, as you can see the crowds not separating as they should. Looking at those sitting together you can see most are not family groups...and they are high fiveing and jumping all over each other when their team scores. They will be the first to complain when things are closed down again.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cor...death-toll-stands-at-113-20200716-p55cr9.html
What virus? Perth footy fans ditch social distancing at AFL clash
By Marta Pascual Juanola

Keeping every second row vacant to socially distance at Optus Stadium during the first game with a crowd allowed during the troubled 2020 season seems like a small ask.

But as Geelong took on Collingwood at Perth's award-winning stadium last night, it took less than a quarter of much-awaited on-field action for eager footy fans to ditch social distancing for the comfort of the vacant middle rows.

The calls of stadium staff asking people to sit where they were supposed to went largely unheeded, with people rushing back to their unallocated seats as soon as the yellow jackets of the ushering team disappeared into the distance.

In some instances, there wasn't even a call to heed.

A stronger-than-usual police presence didn't deter the crowds either, with people breathing down each others' necks as they lined up at bars and food outlets and mingled in the hallways during the half-time break.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that there is far too much panic and scaremongering.

Depending which source you look at, Australia had 800-900 influenza related deaths in 2019.

In the 4 months (roughly) or so, since this covid thing started, we've had just over 100 deaths.

317 cases today in Vic is bad in that it's the most number of cases in a single day, but it's hardly the end of the world. Given the restrictions and efforts being put into tracing, it's hard to imagine the infections are going to get out of control to the point where they are exploding in number every day.

It's also worth pointing out that (still) the only people in Australia that seem to die to Covid are in their 70's or above.

17 people under the age of 70 have died. Of these, 14 were in their 60's and 2 in their 50's and one in their 40's.

These are hardly numbers that people should be trembling over.

However I do agree that the 'at-risk' demographic should be very strict with their health right now (meaning those in their 60's but moreso 70's) should be very careful who they see or touch and how they manage their own hand and face hygiene.

I see (and know) healthy people in their 30's and 40's driving around inside their cars (with no one else inside the car) with a mask on.
Try being in the demographic that is currently most at risk and with the higher mortality rate and tell me you wouldn't panic.Tell their families to remain calm too.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Try being in the demographic that is currently most at risk and with the higher mortality rate and tell me you wouldn't panic.Tell their families to remain calm too.
I agree with you and you’re making my point for me.

The media’s reporting has resulted in plenty more people (other than those who need to) worrying.

totally agree those who are elderly or with existing illnesses should be the ones to take precautions.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was dumb enough to think we had this shit beaten in Oz.

Then again I thought DWZ was a fullback, Wakeham would be our saviour and Smith would find form.

So the moral of the story is I have no idea but love stating my opinion.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was dumb enough to think we had this shit beaten in Oz.

Then again I thought DWZ was a fullback, Wakeham would be our saviour and Smith would find form.

So the moral of the story is I have no idea but love stating my opinion.
Join the club!! Could not have said it better.

Nobody really has a grip on the whole thing.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that there is far too much panic and scaremongering.

Depending which source you look at, Australia had 800-900 influenza related deaths in 2019.

In the 4 months (roughly) or so, since this covid thing started, we've had just over 100 deaths.

317 cases today in Vic is bad in that it's the most number of cases in a single day, but it's hardly the end of the world. Given the restrictions and efforts being put into tracing, it's hard to imagine the infections are going to get out of control to the point where they are exploding in number every day.

It's also worth pointing out that (still) the only people in Australia that seem to die to Covid are in their 70's or above.

17 people under the age of 70 have died. Of these, 14 were in their 60's and 2 in their 50's and one in their 40's.

These are hardly numbers that people should be trembling over.

However I do agree that the 'at-risk' demographic should be very strict with their health right now (meaning those in their 60's but moreso 70's) should be very careful who they see or touch and how they manage their own hand and face hygiene.

I see (and know) healthy people in their 30's and 40's driving around inside their cars (with no one else inside the car) with a mask on.
Really we need to find a way to clone you.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with you and you’re making my point for me.

The media’s reporting has resulted in plenty more people (other than those who need to) worrying.

totally agree those who are elderly or with existing illnesses should be the ones to take precautions.
The people who are worried and claimimg people who aren't DOING THE RIGHT THING are just selfish, are merely resorting to projection.

George Carlin covered this topic many moons ago

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
does anyone know if there's any aus store that sell those aluminium strips you can attach to masks,? I wear glasses so i'm looking for something to stop my glasses from fogging

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
does anyone know if there's any aus store that sell those aluminium strips you can attach to masks,? I wear glasses so i'm looking for something to stop my glasses from fogging
Not sure but the surgical masks come with the strips inside them. You can get about 100 for $30 on ebay.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope all you guys an gals are doing alright over their in Aussie, sad times.!!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Hope all you guys an gals are doing alright over their in Aussie, sad times.!!
The sentiment is nice, but why wouldn't we be? There's fewer than 1-2 people dying per day on average and they are typically over the age of 80.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The sentiment is nice, but why wouldn't we be? There's fewer than 1-2 people dying per day on average and they are typically over the age of 80.
Yea but hey you never know, and wishing you all well was just that, no need to throw it back In my face or be rude :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
haha nah mate, wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to keep perspective is all. The media carries on as though hundreds must be dying every day.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting indeed..... so much still to learn about this virus. Striking that balance between safety measures and getting on with it really is a challenge.
Yep..I thought it’d interest you as it certainly goes a long away in realising that your concerns about the virus have definite merit.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

This is the key part of that article:

Several studies from Europe and Asia have suggested that young children are less likely to get infected and to spread the virus. But most of those studies were small and flawed, said Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute.

The new study “is very carefully done, it’s systematic and looks at a very large population,” Dr. Jha said. “It’s one of the best studies we’ve had to date on this issue.”

----‐----
Early stages of the pandemic advice was made with what information was known and what data was available. Given the panic stations its pretty logical that early advice would be far from accurate.

But now that this study, with a load more data, has come out i still expect fuckwits to deny the available evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.