Corey Wadell

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lots of posters dont like Waddell, but I'm not sure why. He has a few mistakes in him, but so do a lot of seasoned footy players.
If a player makes an error by trying to do something, it is acceptable. It is preferable to the players who do not try to do something,
and we have our share of them. Apart from Preston he has been our best forward. Must be signed again.
Thing that gets me is his error rate was right down this year. 0.41 errors per game and people make out as if he's an error machine.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Same type of player as Oki. Better off setting some professional standards for 2024 and not have players who put pressure on the others and get us behind the 8 ball on so many occasions throughout games.
How does he put pressure on others, Wen? He was the only guy making metres for us week in, week out this year. he averaged 0.41 errors per game (considerably less than Preston) and his discipline was excellent too. The criticism he is getting after an excellent season is so unwarranted.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How does he put pressure on others, Wen? He was the only guy making metres for us week in, week out this year. he averaged 0.41 errors per game (considerably less than Preston) and his discipline was excellent too. The criticism he is getting after an excellent season is so unwarranted.
Just generalising and including him in the Okenbor category as mistake/penalty prone etc kinda player who regularly causes lost possession or shirt grabbing defence and therefore stops momentum for the team.

He did have a better season this year but when it's all said and done...We need a better level of forward.

If we re-sign him, I'm hoping they can unlock the same kinda form he displayed whilst in the Penrith juniors where he did very well.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heard Storm have nearly signed him.
Will be a decent pick up... Just need to play him right. He is a mop up player you can throw in the middle and just tell him to punch out meters behind the markers and make your tackles for 40 mins a game.

Other than that meh... massive stifler in attack and cant dominate anything in defense or attack .

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just generalising and including him in the Okenbor category as mistake/penalty prone etc kinda player who regularly causes lost possession or shirt grabbing defence and therefore stops momentum for the team.

He did have a better season this year but when it's all said and done...We need a better level of forward.

If we re-sign him, I'm hoping they can unlock the same kinda form he displayed whilst in the Penrith juniors where he did very well.
Really can’t get my head around your take. He was one of our best two forwards this year… and replacement options seem very thin on the ground.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t see the harm in retaining him?
Who else you going to replace him with?
Just another similarly built kid who offers the same and doesn’t have the experience.
Or another journeyman who could be like Davey.
Also this turnstile squad replenishment isn’t great for culture and rebuilding.
Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don’t and this ninja a demon

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we've multiple forwards coming our way, we need him for depth as a minimum.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Low key worried, fam. Why on earth would they not re-sign him? It's nuts.
I’d understand the scrutiny if he was on a hectic contract yo but we know for a fact he was on 180 last year.
So what harm is a lazy 2x year 250k deal.
Worst case is he just slinks into backup status in NSW cup. Best case is he keeps improving.
Can’t see any player out there who would be better for that money and that’s honest, he is also still young.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
think most ppl are going off his previous seasons and not this years
He had a decent season in a contract year, was putrid the first two years we had him. If he’s resigned, bearing in mind no one else has rushed to sign him, give him a 1x1 with the option in our favour. No multi year deals!!!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Waddell averaged 0.41 mistakes per game this year (Preston averaged 0.75). Waddell scored 4 tries (only 5 dogs players scored more) and had one try assist. Preston scored 6 tries with 0 assists. Not much difference between them in terms of tries scored/ created.

Waddell was easily our best metre eater all year, whereas Preston was easily our best defender. Those two were by far and away the best players at the club this year.

Geez, you guys sure don't let the truth get in the way of a good story lol

We are mad if we don't sgn Waddell.... especially given the fact we are losing quite a few forwards and not making many significant gains. He played his butt off this year and won't break the bank. Really do not understands the criticism he cops.
Ok you got me if they are the real stats. Seems like he makes mistakes every game at critical times and fucks momentum. But stats are stats. Well done.
3 points for you. You are Pre season Daly M leader.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
0.41 errors per game.... 14th most errors in the team....but yeah, way too many. Waddell was excellent this year, in terms of effort, output, discipline and ball control. I don't think you guys even watch, you just judge based on preconceived prejudices.
I think a lot of posters are just "bandwagoners" and just repeat what others on here have said. Maybe they dont really understand the game,.
The club ATM, does not have one front row forward. I know one is coming (SST) but he cant do it on his own. Max King is a 100% footballer but he is more of a back rower.
Signing Waddell is a no brainer.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mistakes don't have to mean a play that shows up on the stat sheet as an error. It could be flopping in for a poorly timed six again call.. It could be a bad high shot or pushing a pass that wasn't on.. It could be leaving too big a gap in defence or flying in to put a shot on in defence and missing which creates a line break.. All of which Waddell does regularly.

He had a better season this year but he was still a very flawed player despite that. And the previous two years his form was shocking. I don't blame the club for not re-signing him considering all of the above. He's still far too inconsistent and unreliable. Every good thing he does is generally followed by a dumb play. We need more consistent and smarter players.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Really can’t get my head around your take. He was one of our best two forwards this year… and replacement options seem very thin on the ground.

Agree to disagree, I guess.
Just want to see competent players in the team...not simply tryers or error prone....we've been hindered for far too long with this type of player. We need better.

He had a reasonable year in this his contract year this year but he's had 3 years to show us his dependability and effectiveness and only had one good year showing these necessary traits.

I was calling for him to be signed before he went to Manly and posted his Penrith highlight reel in a new suggested signings thread but unfortunately he hasn't seemed to have lifted his output or consistency. Maybe he will achieve that with another club and coach.

Just my opinion and good that you have more faith.

If Gus re-signs him I will be happy for him.

Reactions: ATT

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
0.41 errors per game....
You mentioned this figure in 4 from 5 consecutive posts. You are either pushing a point or the records stuck, *click* the records stuck *click* the records stuck *click*...........

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think a lot of posters are just "bandwagoners" and just repeat what others on here have said. Maybe they dont really understand the game,.
The club ATM, does not have one front row forward. I know one is coming (SST) but he cant do it on his own. Max King is a 100% footballer but he is more of a back rower.
Signing Waddell is a no brainer.
If Gus doesn't re-sign him are you saying HE doesn't understand the game either?