Official Corey Waddell signs for the Bulldogs for the next three seasons

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah thats a fair point but Barrett wasnt around when we offered Bateman.

I didnt think it was a good idea to spend big money on an edge backrower when we needed spine players.
We've always needed spine players but unfortunately for us the club has failed to deliver and instead continued to sign all these squad players hoping to unearth a gem that turns our fortunes around...but for me that is never going happen, these bit part players we continue to sign just aren't going to do that without the experience of a few key guys forming the core of our squad. Our youth will also fail to develop at a reasonable rate without the presence of these key experienced players to lean on.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we've got both till 2023 so need to get used to it. I've really liked Doorey and RFM on the edge but given we've got these guys contracted on decent coin they need to start.
Yep I see what you are saying about the contracts. Jacko has just seemed to lose it this year. He was still playing good last year but this year he has fallen off a cliff.

Hopefully Baz can get the best out of him.

I think you will find Elliott will be lock though. He hasnt played on an edge for a while

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not the most exciting signing but Waddell is better than people think and has some skill and upside. He was highly rated coming through, looked good when he first started playing but then Des underutilised him as a middle forward off the bench.

Two years would have been better and I hope he was cheap but he has ability and could start on an edge if necessary.

Blueyy

Waterboy
Reaction score
For those losing needlessly losing their minds - we have a 30 man squad to fill, so not every recruit is gonna be a rep star.

In any case, this is a more than sound signing. Waddell is adept either through the middle or on an edge, and is aggressive in defence. Will provide a bit of extra grunt next year and comes cheap.
It’s just that practically all of our signings in the past couple years have been just that, a depth signing. Clay priest, Dean Britt, Joe Stimpson, Chris Smith, Jessie Sue... the list goes on. We need to focus on signing key spine players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I haven't seen Waddell play. But the career of Barrett hinges on the squad he assembles. If Waddell is someone he thinks will be good, it's on him. I won't write a player off when they haven't even joined our squad yet.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we're to promote Schoupp, BBO, Seumanutafa, Doorey and Topine into our top 30, we have one spot in our top 30 remaining. You'd think Schoupp, Doorey and Topine are almost certainties.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think we need another prop and a centre
How old is leutele?
Teripo
Hethrington
Asiata
And the obvious

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Realistically the lock spot should be between Jacko and Elliott but they have also been talking to Asiata.

Maybe Baz still does see Jacko as a backrower but he would have to improve a hell of a lot from this year.

I dont have any inside info whatsoever but i do know player movements have been happening later and later the past few years. Hooper was saying the other day they are going pretty hard for Burton so that would solve one problem.

Everyone will know more about the hooker position when Smith makes a decision. Either Grant or B.Smith may be available then
Yeah it’s a fair point I think Baz rates Elliot and if he’s talking to Asiata who wants to play lock then I think he sees Elliot as an edge back rower. I don’t know what he thinks of Jacko. For all we know he could tap him on the shoulder or use him off the bench. I looked at some of the Panthers squad and there is a good 4+ blokes who would walk into our side who aren’t playing first grade at Penrith so something will give soon.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly right. He is about 5 yards quicker than any edge back rower we currently have.

We need to have a bit of faith in Barrett. He has seen him at Manly and rates him. Thats enough for me

Our whole squad is average. Not just our spine. I disagree when people say we already have enough backrowers. We actually have alot of shit backrowers. I reckon Baz will move a few of them on
Exactly this. Our whole fucking squad is diabolical. Literally could bring in a player in each position, so don't get the furour about this signing.

Let's wait and see if it's our last, and if it is then we lynch the board

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly this. Our whole fucking squad is diabolical. Literally could bring in a player in each position, so don't get the furour about this signing.

Let's wait and see if it's our last, and if it is then we lynch the board
You are preaching to the converted mate.

I agree when people say that the signings of Britt, Stimson, etc were bad signings. But even though we have plenty of backrowers I still think Waddell is better than all of them except RFM. As long as he didnt cost too much its a decent signing.

I dont think Asiata is needed though. If we were to sign him or another backrower before we signed a decent spine player or centre then I think thats a bad move.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For those thinking that Waddell is rubbish, here are some of his best games statistically:

2019:

Round 6 vs Saints - Bench - 49 min, 22 tackles, 153 metres 1TB, 3 Offloads, 1TA, 1LBA

Round 7 vs Canberra - Bench - 62 min, 36 tackles, 116 metres, 6TB, 1 offload 1TA, 1LBA

Round 8 vs Canterbury - Bench - 55 minutes, 33 tackles (5 missed) 155 metres

Round 12 vs Penrith - Lock - 62 minutes, 41 tackles, 3 tackle busts, 1 offload, 110 metres

2020:

Round 5 vs Brisbane: 2nd Row - 77 minutes, 29 tackles, 145 metres, 2TBs, 2 offloads.

Round 14 vs Newcastle: Bench - 45 minutes, 34 tackles, 141 metres, 1 offload.

Round 15 vs Souths: 2nd Row - 80 minutes, 31 tackles (5 missed), 134 metres, 3TBs, 1 offload.

He's also had other games with similar metres and tackles off the bench. His main weakness is missed tackles but that's more from putting shots on and being physical than poor or weak defence from watching him.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
W
For those thinking that Waddell is rubbish, here are some of his best games statistically:

2019:

Round 6 vs Saints - Bench - 49 min, 22 tackles, 153 metres 1TB, 3 Offloads, 1TA, 1LBA

Round 7 vs Canberra - Bench - 62 min, 36 tackles, 116 metres, 6TB, 1 offload 1TA, 1LBA

Round 8 vs Canterbury - Bench - 55 minutes, 33 tackles (5 missed) 155 metres

Round 12 vs Penrith - Lock - 62 minutes, 41 tackles, 3 tackle busts, 1 offload, 110 metres

2020:

Round 5 vs Brisbane: 2nd Row - 77 minutes, 29 tackles, 145 metres, 2TBs, 2 offloads.

Round 14 vs Newcastle: Bench - 45 minutes, 34 tackles, 141 metres, 1 offload.

Round 15 vs Souths: 2nd Row - 80 minutes, 31 tackles (5 missed), 134 metres, 3TBs, 1 offload.

He's also had other games with similar metres and tackles off the bench. His main weakness is missed tackles but that's more from putting shots on and being physical than poor or weak defence from watching him.
What's TB's?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Waddel Jackson Stimson and Elliott!!! Hand us the spoon back to back babyyyy. Wouldn’t surprise me if Lynne extends Tolman before she’s kicked out.
We went from having the best back row in the game. No powderpuff could force his way in. Now all powderpuffs