Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If he sees out the year I see only 2 things happening...

1. The wooden spoon is ours

2. We fluke 3 or 4 games in the last round when we definitely won't even get near the 8 and the dumb c*** on the board will re-sign him again.
We won't get the spoon. We are better than the dragons, titans and possibly the warriors and sharks. We may not beat any top teams, but we are capable of challenging the middle of the road and lesser sides. People need to remember we have played three teams who are strong top 4 contenders so far this year and were actually very competitive in one of those games and we won't be the only side to get belted by quality sides like the Roosters and Manly, especially with the new rules. I'm not saying we are good, by any stretch of the imagination, but the jury is still out as to whether we are actually as bad as some fans seem to think. Pay is no super coach, but I think people need to keep perspective.

I agree we won't challenge for the 8, although if Foran can stay fit, we might go closer than some think with Thompson on his way to beef up our pack. I think we'll probably finish somewhere from 12-14, but we may surprise and do better than that. There are other sides running around that are just as poor as us despite having much better rosters.

We have some winnable games over the next month. I'd see how we go over the next four rounds and make a call on Pay after that. If we can win 2-3 games, give him a little longer. Any less than 2 wins out of the next 4 and it may be time to look elsewhere. In any case, there is no point sacking him until we have secured a replacement who will actually be a step up and there isn't really any value in sacking Pay in favour of an interim coach for the remainder of the year. Just because no public decision has been made about his future doesn't mean we can't be asking around about the availability of quality candidates. If we can't improve our performances we do need to look elsewhere.... but the last thing we should do is panic and lock in someone worse.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We won't get the spoon. We are better than the dragons, titans and possibly the warriors and sharks. We may not beat any top teams, but we are capable of challenging the middle of the road and lesser sides. People need to remember we have played three teams who are strong top 4 contenders so far this year and were actually very competitive in one of those games and we won't be the only side to get belted by quality sides like the Roosters and Manly, especially with the new rules. I'm not saying we are good, by any stretch of the imagination, but the jury is still out as to whether we are actually as bad as some fans seem to think. Pay is no super coach, by any stretch of the imagination, but I think people need to keep perspective.

I agree we won't challenge for the 8, although if Foran can stay fit, we might go closer than some think with Thompson on his way to beef up our pack. I think we'll probably finish somewhere from 12-14, but we may surprise and do better than that. There are other sides running around who are just as poor as us despite having much better rosters.

We have some winnable games over the next month. I'd see how we go over the next four rounds and make a call on Pay after that. If we can win 2-3 games, give him a little longer. Any less than 2 wins out of the next 4 and it may be time to look elsewhere. In any case, there is no point sacking him until we have secured a replacement that will actually be a step up and there isn't really any value in sacking Pay in favour of an interim coach for the remainder of the year. Just because no public decision has been made about his future doesn't mean we can't be asking around about the availability of quality candidates. If we can't improve our performances we do need to look elsewhere.... but the last thing we should do is panic and lock in someone worse.
Totally see what your saying and sounds respectable. Problem is that's what we have been doing and it won't work. Pay isn't all of a sudden going to polish coal into diamonds. We could look at the team and give him a break however he doesn't even pick the best players out of the team he has and that's why I know he hasn't anything to offer other then being a good bloke. We keep this up and every year we will be aiming for 12-14th. People (players) don't jump onto a sinking ship, they jump off it. We won't attract anyone with our current set up.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's just drunk old Buzz jibbering and slurring his opinion. Nothing more. Hill has said they're not looking at other coaches and is open to extending him.

You'd like to think that's PR spin by Hill and the opposite is true. But everything Hill and Anderson have done so far indicates they'll still support Pay somehow.
I dont wanna be the bearer of bad news, but I am hearing 2 year extension lol

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's only 5 players (Elliott, Foran, Tolman, Holland and Montoya) that were signed before Pay arrived the rest have either been signed or re-signed under Pay and the current admin.

Sure the back ended contracts are still a factor but Pay and the club have still had a big say in the building of this roster.
‘thank you put it in better words than I could get across. Realistically only 2 of those players are on stupid wages this year , but everyone wants to blame current roster and the poor roster next year on des

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parramatta are a myth
I dont see any mid season coach changes happening. There is no point. Also its not like a coach worth having is available mid season anyway. If they were coaches worth getting they wouldn't be unemployed this time of year anyway.

He might have issues at the end of the year if our form doesn't lift though. It would be a shame coz id like to see how he goes when we had players capable of making the 8 in the squad. Poor old Pay has been thrown in the deep end with concrete boots on.

And yeh last night's loss to roosters, not shocking. They put 59-0 on broncos the week before and imo broncos have a better squad than us. They are premiers for a reason. Still dont know how they have those players under the cap though. Tbh roosters look like going 3 in a row unless they lose some players or another team lifts. Eels vs Roosters this week will be some match, the 2 most in form teams in a match. But i think roosters win.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's only 5 players (Elliott, Foran, Tolman, Holland and Montoya) that were signed before Pay arrived the rest have either been signed or re-signed under Pay and the current admin.

Sure the back ended contracts are still a factor but Pay and the club have still had a big say in the building of this roster.
Exactly
We've signed millions of dollars in players since Pay and co took over.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Totally see what your saying and sounds respectable. Problem is that's what we have been doing and it won't work. Pay isn't all of a sudden going to polish coal into diamonds. We could look at the team and give him a break however he doesn't even pick the best players out of the team he has and that's why I know he hasn't anything to offer other then being a good bloke. We keep this up and every year we will be aiming for 12-14th. People (players) don't jump onto a sinking ship, they jump off it. We won't attract anyone with our current set up.
Yeah, I know where you are coming from.... I'm just wary of the possibility that if we panic and sign a replacement too quickly, it might be the wrong one for the job.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I know where you are coming from.... I'm just wary of the possibility that if we panic and sign a replacement too quickly, it might be the wrong one for the job.
Problem is no one wants to sign for us, we dont even have the luxury of choice
I am positive we have resigned some of our existing squad out of necessity

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If that happens then we're at where we are right now?

Reaction score
The club desperately needs someone to come in as circuit breaker. That could be a coach, player, CEO or chairman but they need to have a history of success or they just don't tolerate losing.

Now that's easier said then done because people like that don't grow on trees but something needs to change.
yeah that's exactly what's needed, a driven, competitive type that as you say, won't tolerate losing, kimorley probs the last one we did.
the odds of that happening are so stacked against us at the moment with the "type" of players that the club is looking to recruit.

an example of that is the recent MJ last dance doco. after the show aired you had all these woke fuckwits come out and deride MJ,
crying about the win at all costs mentality and how it was mean, how he bullied his team mates, how he was an asshole blah blah blah.

the club has become just like these social media snowflakes, they wouldn't have the balls to recruit anyone that has a personality that challenged the mediocrity status quo

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If that happens then we're at where we are right now?
Maybe....maybe even worse.....I'm pretty sure there are coaching options out there whop could have delivered a few spoons with this current roster....I've seen people suggesting candidates like Holbrook and Nathan Brown, FFS!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Problem is no one wants to sign for us, we dont even have the luxury of choice
I am positive we have resigned some of our existing squad out of necessity
The question is, which coaching option out there is likely to change that?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The question is, which coaching option out there is likely to change that?
Wayne Bennett as a Footy department head with his appointed Coach. Maybe Walker Bro's? Whoever he reckons has the ability. Maybe even mentor Pay if he thinks it's worth it. Use him to attract talent and sponsorship dollars. Get him to rebuild our footy department.

Last edited:

Dexter35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pay will not be head coach in 2021

Club has narrowed it down to two coaches, and Phil Gould will be coming in temporarily as an "advisor"

Status
Not open for further replies.