Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is the caretaker... when a top coach is available and it makes sense/fits what we want moving forward we'll get them. Pay has a chance, but he's a rebuild coach.
Well let’s just hope we get someone before we have to overspend on players once our cap is good to go.

We need a draw card, we used to have the players and the coaches, but we have nothing attractive to the players who are coming off contracts. So we may have to pay overs, and end up with no cap and no marquee.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well let’s just hope we get someone before we have to overspend on players once our cap is good to go.

We need a draw card, we used to have the players and the coaches, but we have nothing attractive to the players who are coming off contracts. So we may have to pay overs, and end up with no cap and no marquee.
I really don't think you're going to get the roster before the coach. I don't think you should be expecting a new/top coach before 2022. There also isn't many of them (Flanagan the only obvious one on the horizon). We're paying overs to attract players to a bottom four side on paper (and we managed to finish above that last year) which we have been for multiple years now. There isn't a way around it. Use the Knights 2017/18 as a template (we're in a slightly better position). If we want to be competitive next year we're going to have to pay overs to attract top players and there isn't a way around it (unless we got a super coach, e.g. Bellamy, I don't think the coach actually matters too much, the Knights could recruit with Brown as coach). We're in this position and have nothing due to Castle/Dib, you've had multiple years to come to terms with it. We still have a long way to go to winning a premiership (I don't see us being a realistic chance until 2024 if we get a lot of things right), top eight is the first step.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate I never suggested Bennett or Flanagan! But I’m sure the club would be able to get a caretaker without any issues. Or maybe Pay with see out the season, let’s just hope he is not online for next year.

They need to get the word out now to see who applies for the full time role as head coach.
I didn’t say that you said Bennett or Flanagan, I was simply ruling them out as they seem the go to’s for a number of posters. We have already “got the word out” and we all know the personal qualities of those that didn’t apply last time.

The suggestion is to do it again and see who we get this time around. Since we have battled through the tough times, survived the salary cap debacle and now the plan is to hand that to someone who didn’t have enough faith in our ability to bounce back last time. A good times Charlie, someone without the balls to tough it out and earn the rewards when the Cap pain is over. Someone without the confidence in their own coaching abilities that they let someone else cop the pain so they could waltz in when it’s over and reap the rewards. Take the credit in our success that they didn’t earn by doing the hard yards for 3 years. No thank you.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its very obvious that the posters on here cannot find anyone who is a suitable replacement.
I agree with them.
I know that instant gratification is the thing that motivates people, but it wont happen.
The club needs to rebuild the roster. The currant roster is sub standard except for a few.
No other coach can achieve much with this team. Changing coaches now would be a backward step.
Dean Pay has done the hard work and it will pay off shortly. Stick with him.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
But there is no one better, name me a replacement ... thats biggest BS copout excuse ever...

Buying a Bellamy or McGuire or Bennett doesn't mean automatic success. HASLER screwed us into oblivion during his tenure, and ppl claim h3 is a SuperCoach. And plz dont start with he made 2gfs bla bla bla. We won nothing. He screwed our club and salary cap.

Next coach we choose might be a dud too, but its still a better option than the massive dud we have atm. But at least we giving the club a new opportunity.

Pay was the only one dumb enough besides Dymock to want the job. 2 desperate ppl wanting to further their careers. If we start looking from now , we could find someone who has a blueprint for better success than what we currently have . Someone that at least can teach our team to attack and instill confidence in players abilities

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is in danger for mine. None from two. Lost CHN and OkU which weakens a weak roster. He Pulled a playmaker mid game round 2. So team confidence will be shot. Foran will come back show a glimps of form and get injured leading to further loss of continuity and confidence. This puts us in spoon territory and automatic rumours of ‘Pay lost dressing room”
I hope I’m wrong.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t say that you said Bennett or Flanagan, I was simply ruling them out as they seem the go to’s for a number of posters. We have already “got the word out” and we all know the personal qualities of those that didn’t apply last time.

The suggestion is to do it again and see who we get this time around. Since we have battled through the tough times, survived the salary cap debacle and now the plan is to hand that to someone who didn’t have enough faith in our ability to bounce back last time. A good times Charlie, someone without the balls to tough it out and earn the rewards when the Cap pain is over. Someone without the confidence in their own coaching abilities that they let someone else cop the pain so they could waltz in when it’s over and reap the rewards. Take the credit in our success that they didn’t earn by doing the hard yards for 3 years. No thank you.

Go Dogs
Are you suggesting we stick with Pay?

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very obvious that the posters on here cannot find anyone who is a suitable replacement.
I agree with them.
I know that instant gratification is the thing that motivates people, but it wont happen.
The club needs to rebuild the roster. The currant roster is sub standard except for a few.
No other coach can achieve much with this team. Changing coaches now would be a backward step.
Dean Pay has done the hard work and it will pay off shortly. Stick with him.
Hahahaha have you seen the game plans? Over the past 2 years?

We are 0-2 again and No improvement in the game plan as far as I could see.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is in danger for mine. None from two. Lost CHN and OkU which weakens a weak roster. He Pulled a playmaker mid game round 2. So team confidence will be shot. Foran will come back show a glimps of form and get injured leading to further loss of continuity and confidence. This puts us in spoon territory and automatic rumours of ‘Pay lost dressing room”
I hope I’m wrong.
Let’s hope Foz can stay fit for the remaining 20 rounds. Either way Foz needs to play his natural game, we still need a controlling half. Hopefully Wakem can fill that void.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am suggesting we are stuck with Pay versus sticking with Pay. He is the caretaker coach given the mess Dibb, Des & Raelene (the triple threat) left. What I am more curious about is how obvious it is becoming that our current board is totally disconnected with any modern day league power brokers because we aren't landing anyone (coach or player) & we are copping it up the arse from the NRL without even a whimper of protest. Given today's decision re Mitchell & the Fox we look like fucking idiots agreeing to tear up the contract of 2 boys who did NOTHING illegal versus multiple illegal offenses that received a small change fine. Its hard to tell who is more of a joke...us, the NRL or the Titans. Savage but sadly true.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahaha have you seen the game plans? Over the past 2 years?
We are 0-2 again and No improvement in the game plan as far as I could see.
If you don’t have the players to execute the game plan, then you won’t see it, even when it is there.

Shit, against the Cowboys the current players couldn’t even execute the simplest game plan, hang on to the ball. Let alone the next step of actually completing the sets. That’s not the coach’s fault, that’s the players.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you don’t have the players to execute the game plan, then you won’t see it, even when it is there.

Shit, against the Cowboys the current players couldn’t even execute the simplest game plan, hang on to the ball. Let alone the next step of actually completing the sets. That’s not the coach’s fault, that’s the players.

Go Dogs
That's because they were fatigued as it took coach 29 mins to make the first change... Regardless of cattle Pay isnt the answer and never will be.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who are you suggesting we replace Pay with?

Go Dogs
Don't know what others think, but I'd go with toovey. Has a pretty good footy brain, a decent record and a point to prove. Sure, he's ex-manly, but that doesn't mean another has-lice situation. Out of the coaches currently available he's worth taking a punt on imo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't know what others think, but I'd go with toovey. Has a pretty good footy brain, a decent record and a point to prove. Sure, he's ex-manly, but that doesn't mean another has-lice situation. Out of the coaches currently available he's worth taking a punt on imo
From the sounds of it Toovey has been looking for a coaching opportunity since 2018. Unless he's joking when he's on camera that's the vibe I get. I like some things he says but on the other hand sometimes he's a massive meme. Not trying to be mean, but maybe a few too many knocks from when he was a player. I'd still rather wait for someone else personally.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From the sounds of it Toovey has been looking for a coaching opportunity since 2018. Unless he's joking when he's on camera that's the vibe I get. I like some things he says but on the other hand sometimes he's a massive meme. Not trying to be mean, but maybe a few too many knocks from when he was a player. I'd still rather wait for someone else personally.
2018 isn't that long, and a few coaches have been out of a job for longer.

I personally think he'd be a good fit, you may disagree, which is your opinion and you're more than entitled to it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's because they were fatigued as it took coach 29 mins to make the first change... Regardless of cattle Pay isnt the answer and never will be.
Subbing a back rower or a prop isn’t going to stop the fullback, centre or halves dropping the ball. Look at the stats, Jackson, Elliott, Stimson and Britt didn’t make one handling mistake in the whole game, Napa made one as did To’omaga. In comparison the backs managed 13 mistakes between them.

A suggestion, try looking at all of the facts (eg; who made the handling errors) not just the ones that support your already held views (eg; 27 minutes to make a substitute). FWIW, Britt for Stimson was actually at 27 minutes.

Go Dogs

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer: Whatever it is, TOO LONG!

I've been patient but I see nothing to suggest he's a FG standard coach let alone a good one.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Subbing a back rower or a prop isn’t going to stop the fullback, centre or halves dropping the ball. Look at the stats, Jackson, Elliott, Stimson and Britt didn’t make one handling mistake in the whole game, Napa made one as did To’omaga. In comparison the backs managed 13 mistakes between them.

A suggestion, try looking at all of the facts (eg; who made the handling errors) not just the ones that support your already held views (eg; 27 minutes to make a substitute). FWIW, Britt for Stimson was actually at 27 minutes.

Go Dogs
Wake up dude, Taumalolo ran riot up the middle and our middles were fucked... Sugar coat it all you want but you can make 0 errors and still get destroyed up the middle if you aren't subbing properly (and 27 minutes is still too long)

Status
Not open for further replies.