Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Question for the pay apologists.

If we fail to land any decent signings for next year given the free cash we have, is Pay still the right coach for us going forward?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

If we fail to land any decent signings for next year given the free cash we have, is Pay still the right coach for us going forward?
I don't consider myself an apologist, but a realist.
Firstly I do think we'll get some good signings for 2021 to be announced after 30 June - but let's leave that aside for now.
If we don't get some decent signings - the first question to ask is why - it's not money - so what is the message players are sending - would they not sign because of the coach?
If that is the message, clearly that's an alarming signal the board/club could not ignore.
I'm not convinced that's happening, but remains to be seen.
The second question is who is the alternative coaching wise? I've seen lots of suggestions including Flanagan (2022 onwards), Bennett, Bellamy and even bringing back Griffin.
I don't think any of them are particularly realistic, but who knows.
Is Ben Anderson still on his way through? There would be cries of nepotism for sure if that happened.
Personally I think Pay will probably coach in 2021 with an improved roster. I'm not saying I want this, I just can't see a credible alternative available at this point.
So let's say he gets a 1 year or even 1+1 (club's favour) extension.
If Pay cannot make a substantially improved roster fire in 2021 - then of course he has to be replaced. As much as I don't want Flanagan and think Bennett's best days are behind him - they are both available for 2022.
All of the pieces need to fit...

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

Have you forgotton Luke Thompson. He is a decent signing for next year, no???

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think people need to remember that the NRL is not the Daily News Super Coach where you can pick who you want within a given budget. We need to remember that all the available players and coaches will be contested amongst other clubs who may be interested. Hence improving the roster or coach will have a lot of variables. For instance why would Bellamy want to leave Melbourne to coach at the Bulldogs or maybe he does?? I do hope we will get better players and a better coach even but please don't put all the blame on our current administration if that doesn't happen. If they don't try that is their fault! But if the best decide to play elsewhere, well that's life. Plus it does highlight that once a club drops out of regular top eight contention it is difficult to buy quality. You need to make your own and prey you can keep them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Luke Thompson is a decent signing no???
Maybe, maybe not. No NRL experience and hasn't exactly had some bangers when he has come up against NRL level opposition. I'm happy to have him but I don't think he's the out and out prop that we need imo.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. No NRL experience and hasn't exactly had some bangers when he has come up against NRL level opposition. I'm happy to have him but I don't think he's the out and out prop that we need imo.
I think Thompson will prove to be more than a decent acquisition to our pack.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you forgotton Luke Thompson. He is a decent signing for next year, no???
1 prop untested in NRL is not enough sorry.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Plays for his country is good enough for me. Good start.
Glad you are easily pleased.

Sam Tompkins did too... still remember he was supposed to be he best fullback in the world or some shit.

He is a classic example of dont count your chickens....

Not saying he will be great, not saying he will be shit, Im saying no one knows, and thats the point. I wouldnt be putting all your eggs in that basket.

Even if he does turn out great, our issues are in outside backs, halves and hooker, so yeah

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
1 prop untested in NRL is not enough sorry.
Of course, which is why we have to wait until after 30 June to find out who else they’ve nabbed... That’s 30 June in a ‘normal’ year - assuming the Rona doesn’t change that and I can’t see why it does.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Thompson will prove to be more than a decent acquisition to our pack.
Sure, but we still might need another prop so it doesn't really solve the core issue.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Glad you are easily pleased.

Sam Tompkins did too... still remember he was supposed to be he best fullback in the world or some shit.

He is a classic example of dont count your chickens....

Not saying he will be great, not saying he will be shit, Im saying no one knows, and thats the point. I wouldnt be putting all your eggs in that basket.

Even if he does turn out great, our issues are in outside backs, halves and hooker, so yeah
He is a decent signing and you forgot about him before you started heaping shit on the coach. Admit it mod.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We dont need two new Props just one for one Tolman.
That still leaves us without a prop that can carry defenders and generate momentum.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is a decent signing and you forgot about him before you started heaping shit on the coach. Admit it mod.
No I didnt, I just didnt include him, and still dont.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What Tolman does that now? Napa and Toomaga have the size for that.
Your missing the point, we need a big body prop that's going to lead us forward,carry defenders and generate momentum. Thompson so far in his career has not been this forward yet it looks like we've signed him to play this role. Napa can't do it, To'omaga is a benchie and underdeveloped...we simply don't have anyone to fulfill this role and keep adding forwards of the same mould over and over again.

So yes I'm happy to have him, but does he solve enough key issues for us? Imo no.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But im not fat... *sniff*

Status
Not open for further replies.