Concerning’ NRL gulf exposed as Roosters’ roster valued at $4m more than Dolphins

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Sydney Roosters’ roster has been valued at $13 million, which is $1.5 million over the salary cap due to their pulling power exposing a gulf with the Dolphins worth over $4 million dollars.
The Daily Telegraph analysed more than 500 NRL players and their market values to reveal that the Roosters “on paper” are worth more than $4 million more than the inaugural Dolphins roster in 2023.

Veteran journalists Phil Rothfield and Brent Read valued players at each club based on what they are worth now on the open market, rather than what they are currently being paid.

Laurie Daley put to Rothfield on Sky Sports radio why he valued the Roosters so much higher than many of the other clubs in the NRL in terms of what their players are worth on the open market.

“You have rated every NRL roster and the Roosters are worth nearly $2 million over the cap in your eyes and you believe that a lot of clubs have got a lot of work to do,” Daley said on The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I do,” Rothfield explained.

“My colleague at The Daily Telegraph Brent Read and myself went through every roster, so there was a couple of opinions, not just mine.

“But I don’t think too many people will argue the value we have put on the Sydney Roosters and it is about $1.8 million over the salary cap.

I want to start off by saying there is absolutely no suggestion that they are rorting the cap. It is more about them being such a powerful club and the fact that players want to get the opportunity to play under a three-time premiership winning coach in Trent Robinson and their influential chairman Nick Politis.

“When you go through the roster there is a couple of million dollar players to start off with in James Tedesco and Joey Manu.

“They have got Joseph Suaali’i in the backline worth $800,000. Luke Keary is worth $700,000.

“Then you go through their pack. Waerea-Hargreaves $700,000. Brandon Smith, Angus Crichton, Victor Radley and they are all $700,000 plus.

“So I don’t think there can be too many arguments about their value on paper.”

Rothfield believes the analysis revealed a worrying gulf between the best clubs and the rest in terms of what their players are actually worth on the open market.

“The concerning thing is it does show there is quite a gap between the top and the bottom sides,” Rothfield said.

“Like you look at the Dolphins who we rated at $8.7 million and I don’t think too many people could argue with that.

But the good news is that they have picked up Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in the last 48 hours and that is going to be a significant upgrade in their squad.
“But I still think they are missing the superstar marquee player in the halves.
“I think they will be competitive early on, but as injuries settle in I think they are going to struggle and that’s why for a lot of people they are favourites to win the wooden spoon.”
Daley agreed the Dolphins are lacking in one or two marquee signings that would see their evaluation rise from $8.7 million.
“I think you have got that one spot on,” Daley said.
“I think they have got some good experienced players but they just haven’t got the depth of some of those other teams.”

But the good news is that they have picked up Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in the last 48 hours and that is going to be a significant upgrade in their squad.
“I think they will be competitive early on, but as injuries settle in I think they are going to struggle and that’s why for a lot of people they are favourites to win the wooden spoon.”
Daley agreed the Dolphins are lacking in one or two marquee signings that would see their evaluation rise from $8.7 million.
“I think they have got some good experienced players but they just haven’t got the depth of some of those other teams.”

the good news is that they have picked up Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in the last 48 hours and that is going to be a significant upgrade in their squad.

the good news is that they have picked up Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in the last 48 hours and that is going to be a significant upgrade in their squad.

“I think they have got some good experienced players but they just haven’t got the depth of some of those other teams

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...s/news-story/d02f3a8531e8796c2b3d8a035927acb0

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dolphins need a sombrero too.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

‘There’s an elephant in the room’: Great’s Roosters cap questions after signing yet ANOTHER star

Gorden Tallis has questioned if the Roosters are under the salary cap after they reportedly signed another star in Spencer Leniu.

The Roosters have recruited of Panthers premiership prop Leniu and Knights winger Dominic Young, while they’ve also re-signed star lock Victor Radley.

The Tricolours have long been accused of playing under a salary ‘sombrero’ instead of the cap, which they fiercely deny and say culture is the reason behind their ability to sign almost anyone.

But Tallis isn’t buying it and suggested the Roosters might not be playing by the rules.

“Dare I say what everybody is thinking, the sombrero is back, I laugh you know,” Tallis said on Footy Talk.

“Last week with the Dominic Young situation, Newcastle go find this kid, they put all the effort in and then you get someone to come and grab him and it comes down to money.

“I saw an article from Buzz and he reckons in his calculations that they’re over, I just don’t want fans to get disheartened, and Penrith lose another player but that’s what happens when you get success.

“I like (Leniu), he’s a real aggressive player, he comes off and it’s like he’s always got boxing gloves and the mouthguard every time he runs on the footy field,” Tallis said.

“It’s a great buy for the Roosters but I’m not sure how the fans will feel about it.

“I’ve got to be careful here because they say well that’s the salary cap working (Leniu having to leave Penrith).

“But if you look at the Roosters - Manu on $1 million, Tedesco on $1 million, Keary over $700k, Crichton over $700k then Suaalii and Big Jared, like it’s a lot of lollies to fill up one bag.

“Then they can go buy a young Dominic Young when a lot of clubs were offering him over 500k and the Bulldogs have a fair bit of money to spend and they chase him and don’t get him.”

Tallis declared the major deciding factor behind almost all deals these days is cold, hard cash.

“I’m not saying anything, it’s a great buy from the Roosters and I guarantee they got him cheap and he went there to play Roosters football and he’s a Roosters type of guy,” Tallis said while chuckling.

“I can see the headline - it’s about the culture, it’s not about they money that goes into my bank account, it’s never been about that (laughing). I’m going to make a comeback, I might get a get gig there.

“In life, with kids, what I find now is they want the shiniest toy so you can’t say they go there for the culture because that’s just a buzz word. Dare I say it - you go there for the most money.

“The only other thing that keeps you at a club is the camaraderie and their mates they love playing with. The rest of it comes down to the paper and the bling.

“There’s an elephant in the room, they keep on signing players and I don’t know how, it’s a running joke but I just don’t know how.

“You can’t keep saying it’s a culture and they want to play Roosters football, it’s rugby league, it’s always been rugby league, they just want to get paid more money to play the same game.”

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I f..king hate the Roosters the most by far because they're the biggest cheats in the comp. Any year they don't win the comp is a good year. It's amazing the Panthers could out perform them for so long actually. Cap affects the Panthers but the Roosters win the comp and can afford to keep them all. They had the money to keep Mitchell remember but he left for other reasons.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I f..king hate the Roosters the most by far because they're the biggest cheats in the comp. Any year they don't win the comp is a good year. It's amazing the Panthers could out perform them for so long actually. Cap affects the Panthers but the Roosters win the comp and can afford to keep them all. They had the money to keep Mitchell remember but he left for other reasons.
And I FUC**** hate them with a passion too Bruv!!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Only factoring the players worth on the market right now, after they have had a couple of below average seasons. If they estimated the players market value at the time they signed a contract bet you it's a whole lot more

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will come a day sadly (no one wishes it on anyone) when they will lose their leader Mr Politis just like we lost Bullfrog. They can say others will step up, but that’s BS. They will fight, there will be power struggles and egos. No one can replicate Politis because he bleeds for the club. The other muppets bleed for the recognition, fame and being part of the scene.

when that day does fall, the rest of the league will sit back with bowl of popcorn and laugh at what will unfold.

until then, Rothfield’s gob is big enough to keep swallowing Uncle Nick

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if Tallis read the recent admission that Mundane made about the Broncos giving him $300,000 under the table when he played there. It'd be about the same time that Tallis was there and I'd almost guarantee if Mundane was getting paid outside the cap, Tallis probably was too.

In saying that it's pretty much blatantly obvious that price is no deterrent to the roosters. Hasn't been an issue for them to purchase anyone in years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There will come a day sadly (no one wishes it on anyone) when they will lose their leader Mr Politis just like we lost Bullfrog. They can say others will step up, but that’s BS. They will fight, there will be power struggles and egos. No one can replicate Politis because he bleeds for the club. The other muppets bleed for the recognition, fame and being part of the scene.

when that day does fall, the rest of the league will sit back with bowl of popcorn and laugh at what will unfold.

until then, Rothfield’s gob is big enough to keep swallowing Uncle Nick
Really hope so. They've got no junior nursery. They buy them all at varying ages and unless they actually have another incredibly rich benefactor with an intense love for them, they're not going to have the same ability to make under the table payments. Without those or a junior nursery I can't see their team being more than a threat to the top 14.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well said Gordie!
As a supporter we seem to put all our hate towards whatever club is successful at the time, Melbourne seemed to cop a lot of hate now I see penrith getting it....
But at the end of the day Melbourne have never gone out and splurged on established stars, they've bought them in from there q cup side and got the absolute best out of fringe first graders, they have always had to loose good players due to salary cap...
Penrith bought all these star players through there junior system and now are paying the price for there success....
Much like us in the mid 2000s...

Roosters on the other hand put bugger all into junior development and year after year buy whoever they want....

Don't care what anyone says they have some sort of advantage with a loop hole in salary cap rules.....

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I wonder if Tallis read the recent admission that Mundane made about the Broncos giving him $300,000 under the table when he played there. It'd be about the same time that Tallis was there and I'd almost guarantee if Mundane was getting paid outside the cap, Tallis probably was too.

In saying that it's pretty much blatantly obvious that price is no deterrent to the roosters. Hasn't been an issue for them to purchase anyone in years.
It makes him a pretty good authority to speak on the subject than

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does the article repeat the same thing over 4 times

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why is this news now? Roosters have been doing this for the last 20 years.
They even signed teddy and gronk in the same year.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
As much as I hate the roosters as well.....let's not forget that Young and Leniu (if true) are both for 2024 and then they will let Toupu go (pays for Young) and JWH goes (will pay for Leniu). It is still questionable about their cap......but many people get mislead by what they think a player is worth and what in fact they are actually being paid (none of us really know).....