Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

dullbogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's not really a power issue. The consoles are plenty powerful enough, the developers and programmers just haven't figured out how to program for it correctly.

In other words, expect lower resolution for the day one release games, a few months later the games will start coming out with full HD.
No proprietary architecture on the PS4 like there was on the PS3. It's x86 just like a regular PC. They went out of their way to make it as easy as possible to program for because developers complained bout the cell processor.

An equivalent xbox1 or PS4 gfx card for PC is ~$150-200, which is like a low end gaming card. 1080p has been around forever and 4k is already here. "Next gen" should've been capable of 1080,60fps out of the box without breaking a sweat imo. I was disappointed at how underpowered they are.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No proprietary architecture on the PS4 like there was on the PS3. It's x86 just like a regular PC. They went out of their way to make it as easy as possible to program for because developers complained bout the cell processor.

An equivalent xbox1 or PS4 gfx card for PC is ~$150-200, which is like a low end gaming card. 1080p has been around forever and 4k is already here. "Next gen" should've been capable of 1080,60fps out of the box without breaking a sweat imo. I was disappointed at how underpowered they are.
Apparently the issue is the new ram. They use a new type of proprietary ram that's meant to increase performance but the programmers don't understand how to program for it.

The PS4 graphics card is a ATI HD 7870 which is about $230 - $250. I have the 5850 which is a little less powerful and there isn't a game alive that I can't run on May graphics at 1080.

The PS4 is also based on an OS that is designed purely for the PS4 games so theoretical performance should be at least 30% above the PC counterpart.

Games should run perfect right now without any restrictions. In a few years the system will struggle but it'll counteract this by not including direct x 11 effects and removing the more complex textures and anti-aliasing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

D

DoggyStylz

Apparently the issue is the new ram. They use a new type of proprietary ram that's meant to increase performance but the programmers don't understand how to program for it.

The PS4 graphics card is a ATI HD 7870 which is about $230 - $250. I have the 5850 which is a little less powerful and there isn't a game alive that I can't run on May graphics at 1080.

The PS4 is also based on an OS that is designed purely for the PS4 games so theoretical performance should be at least 30% above the PC counterpart.

Games should run perfect right now without any restrictions. In a few years the system will struggle but it'll counteract this by not including direct x 11 effects and removing the more complex textures and anti-aliasing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

taking this into consideration..... how will Tetris perform on the PS4?....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope so. Apparently it looks exactly like an epsiode of South Park.

Any other next gen games worth getting? I've already ordered Forza and I get FIFA 14 with the X Bone. I'm thinking either AC or Batman. Ryse confuses me, combat and graphics look awesome but hand holding turns me off.
Played about 2 hours of Assassin's Creed 4 (xbox 360) and Batman (PC). AC4 is pretty bloody good. It's basically a mixture of all AC games gameplay wise but the characters are excellent. Main character is just a completely brash, A-hole of a pirate and his character comes across really well. The environments are excellent too since it's based around the Caribbean.

Batman is basically Arkham City. Literally, it feels like you're playing an expansion to Arkham City. It's good but the gameplay is boring the hell out of me since I've already done it to death in Arkham City and there's barely any changes to gameplay.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone know if fifa 14 on ps4 will come with the bonuses like on ps3 such as the 24 gold packs...etc

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sony has announced that the PS4 will not support home network media streaming (Streaming media from your PC to your PS4). Sony has disabled this feature in an attempt to sell their online streaming service.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Call of Duty Ghosts will be in 1080p on Ps4 and 720p upscaled on Xbox One as they still couldn't get the Xbox One programming down.

Reaction score
already got a xbox 360? want a xbone for free. get a black marker and write xbone on your 360. if the games are only going to be 720 res, what's the point of the new console. at least the ps4 will have 1080 native games.
Upscaling for a brand new " next gen " machine is about as lazy as it gets. pixel difference between new cod xbone vs cod ps4 = 921,600 pixels xb vs 2,073,600 pixels ps4. that's over half the detail missing, and it's why upscaled games look soft and blurry, fkn greedy *****

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the PS4, queue for next year :(

but I pre-ordered the XBoxOne also cause EB Games have a really good deal if you trade in a iphone 4s you get $250 off. I don't own a XBOX 360 so only a XBox sounds okay

Might as well, I probably got two iphone 4s sitting at home doing nothing actually. Trade them in and get the console for $100 meh beats having a couple phones sitting at home collecting dust

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Haha the pieces of crap are actually going to get me a gaming console for free almost haha

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk 4

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
already got a xbox 360? want a xbone for free. get a black marker and write xbone on your 360. if the games are only going to be 720 res, what's the point of the new console. at least the ps4 will have 1080 native games.
Upscaling for a brand new " next gen " machine is about as lazy as it gets. pixel difference between new cod xbone vs cod ps4 = 921,600 pixels xb vs 2,073,600 pixels ps4. that's over half the detail missing, and it's why upscaled games look soft and blurry, fkn greedy *****
the first patch of games wont be that good id say

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ryse-Confirmed-30fps-900p-Xbox-One-60158.html

GAMING BLEND
Ryse Confirmed At 30fps 900p For Xbox One
Author: William Usher | published: 2013-10-26 13:45:35
discussion128 Comments
Well folks, this is it. The numbers are in and the resolution and frame rates are finalized for Crytek's Ryse: Son of Rome. The game is legitimately capped at 30 frames per second and a resolution of 1600x900. This is how Microsoft will start the next generation of console gaming for the Xbox One.

DualShockers spotted the confirmation from an interview Digital Foundry conducted with Crytek's CEO Cevat Yerli, where the head-honcho of the tech-heavy software company relished in the sub-par settings, surrounding the disappointment many gamers are feeling with words of encouragement and reason...

Developers always have to choose whether they go for 60 or 30fps, depending on the type of game and complexity of the project. With Ryse, we wanted to go for a very emotional experience with complex and dramatic lighting, high fidelity environments, and rich characters and character animations.

So 30fps was our choice, and we believe that most developers will go for richer worlds at 30 frames per second rather than 60fps – which would call for compromises, as 60fps demands twice the amount of compute rendering speed. 30fps is a standard that is above, for example, what most cinemas use for showing films. Early demos with higher frame-rate experiences have shown that gamers and viewers have a mixed opinion about its perceived quality – for example, how 48fps cinema experiences were received. So it’s both a production design choice as well as user research.

Well, for cinematic reasons I can't argue with the decision to go 30fps... it worked well for a game like Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, but then again that was a methodical, slow-paced title. I don't know how well 30fps will work when a game relies on smooth combat animations and transitions that players will need to look for when pulling off complex counter-attacks and combos. Then again, this is assuming that Ryse actually features a complex combat system and isn't just a series of QTEs.

According to Crytek producer Mike Read, the game is more than just a cinematic action title that relies on button prompts and Dance Dance Revolution timing acuteness. Read stated that the game is a real game and not just a QTE-fest. Until I see some more convincing footage (and time is running short for Crytek to provide such evidence) I'll believe that this is a generic hack-and-slash with a lot of QTE moments to relieve players of having to exercise acute button combination skills.

Anyway, this news about the game being relegated to 30fps after being downgraded from 1080p to 900p is not good news for Microsoft's console heading into its November launch. Coupled with the undeniably strong rumors of Call of Duty: Ghosts being downgraded on the Xbox One from 1080p to 720p where-as the PS4 rendition of the game will be native 1080p at 60fps, and now you have a situation where the Xbox One is not only looking second rate, but it's looking like it's coming in behind the curve in a bad way.

For gamers looking for true next-gen experiences and for a system that actually leaves something to the imagination, due to having power that needs unlocking, you'll probably do yourself a favor and pick up the Wii U instead, it has way more 1080p games running at 60fps than the Xbox One.

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the PS4, queue for next year :(

but I pre-ordered the XBoxOne also cause EB Games have a really good deal if you trade in a iphone 4s you get $250 off. I don't own a XBOX 360 so only a XBox sounds okay

Might as well, I probably got two iphone 4s sitting at home doing nothing actually. Trade them in and get the console for $100 meh beats having a couple phones sitting at home collecting dust
Thanks for the tip mate, didn't know I could trade in my old iPhone. Called in at EB Chullora asking how much they've give me for it, and the bloke on the phone offered a higher price for himself haha. Also going to trade in my iPhone 4, only going to end up paying $158 for Xbox One, FIFA 14, cod ghosts and AC. Cheering :grinning: