Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If the monitor works elsewhere than it’s not the issue, could be the cable but you ruled that out.

simply discconnecting the monitor shouldnt cause a lack of display.

id you power down your sons PC before disconnecting the monitor?
Yep it was completely off when I unplugged it.
Does your sons PC support a different connection type that’s also on the monitor, if so try that too.
Tried the vga connection and that is working but he wants a his hdmi to work and his dad to stop touching his shit

Sounds like a bad connection or video card fault on your sons PC (possible but unlikely).

otherwise you need proper troubleshooting with someone who has access to it unfortunately.
Have asked the neighbours kid to look at it when he is free, hopefully sometime thus century.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really hard to troubleshoot without seeing the computer.

Is it a PC or laptop?

When it boots up, so you hear beeps?

Does he only have the one monitor or is there a second monitor attached?

Does the monitor have different inputs (possible HDMI, Display Port, VGA), and if so, is there a source button to change input?

Model of monitor would be helpful.

Also, try unplugging the computer and monitor for 5 minutes then plug them back in.
It's a gaming pc, fancy lights and all the good stuff. It boots up no problems, sounds, fans all good, when I tried a different connection and ports it finally worked with a vga connection. He is pretty dissapointed with me at the moment so I can't go look at his monitor, what I know is it is a samsung curved monitor. I'll check exact specs when he is at school tomorrow.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a gaming pc, fancy lights and all the good stuff. It boots up no problems, sounds, fans all good, when I tried a different connection and ports it finally worked with a vga connection. He is pretty dissapointed with me at the moment so I can't go look at his monitor, what I know is it is a samsung curved monitor. I'll check exact specs when he is at school tomorrow.
It sounds like it's either a source issue (changing source on the display) or Windows is locked to an unsupported resolution. If it's the former then it's an easy fix. With Samsung monitors it's usually a single button under the middle of the monitor that you push to the left then choose HDMI. If it's the latter, then you should be able to fix it by loading windows in safe mode then making adjustments, or by connecting a second monitor or TV as well as the original monitor. When it starts up you can reset everything.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It sounds like it's either a source issue (changing source on the display) or Windows is locked to an unsupported resolution. If it's the former then it's an easy fix. With Samsung monitors it's usually a single button under the middle of the monitor that you push to the left then choose HDMI. If it's the latter, then you should be able to fix it by loading windows in safe mode then making adjustments, or by connecting a second monitor or TV as well as the original monitor. When it starts up you can reset everything.
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow for sure, thank you for the info.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if you tested it with the same cable that’s used on your sons pc with your daughters and it works on hers, it’s already on the right monitor input.

if that didn’t work than it’s localised to your sons PC and would require some leg work/settings adjustment to get it back working.

Can you take a pic of the cable going into the monitor and it’s label as well as were you’re plugging it in on the PC.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if you tested it with the same cable that’s used on your sons pc with your daughters and it works on hers, it’s already on the right monitor input.

if that didn’t work than it’s localised to your sons PC and would require some leg work/settings adjustment to get it back working.

Can you take a pic of the cable going into the monitor and it’s label as well as were you’re plugging it in on the PC.
Definitely will take some photos and post tomorrow. Thank you so much!!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I have a curved Samsung monitor too. It sounds like a source setting bro. Easy to change.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Razer Wolverine V2 pro $450....guys, wtf is this pricing lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's the best gaming device I've ever owned.

I stopped gaming before I had it due just being too busy.

I'm about to install a 2TB 2230 SSD into mine!
Nice. I picked mine up about 5 months back and just screw around on it between meetings and such. Don't get to play it too much. I think I've only played through two games on it since getting it (Bayonetta and Alice: Madness Returns), but I spent a fair amount of time on Death Stranding, Vampire Survivors, and playing a bunch of classic roms. The moment I got it I installed Windows on a SD card and a bunch of roms on another SD card. The SD cards are too slow to run Windows well so I'll probably end up dual booting so I can play Game Pass games on it.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Nice. I picked mine up about 5 months back and just screw around on it between meetings and such. Don't get to play it too much. I think I've only played through two games on it since getting it (Bayonetta and Alice: Madness Returns), but I spent a fair amount of time on Death Stranding, Vampire Survivors, and playing a bunch of classic roms. The moment I got it I installed Windows on a SD card and a bunch of roms on another SD card. The SD cards are too slow to run Windows well so I'll probably end up dual booting so I can play Game Pass games on it.
Yeah I'm installing the SSD so I can dual boot Windows. I tried playing Dragon Ball fighter Z and it just wouldn't work properly.

I've played through GoW and a little bit of Breathe Of the Wild and now I'm getting through Bioshock Infinite. It's my primary gaming device right now

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t know where to post this.. absolute classic.. Gaming Presidential style.. :tearsofjoy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I keep accidentally turning off my touchpad on my laptop but I don't know how? I can't work this out and it's driving me mad lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One for the FIFA fans. Everyone knows that EA lost their license to FIFA so future FIFA games (2024 onwards) will be knows as EA Sports FC. But FIFA (the sports body, not the game) just announced that they are making their own FIFA branded games, and that they will be filled with NFTs and other Block chain stuff.

My guess is that rich people will be able to buy the rights to players and possibly license them to others. My guess is also that it'll be crap.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
One for the FIFA fans. Everyone knows that EA lost their license to FIFA so future FIFA games (2024 onwards) will be knows as EA Sports FC. But FIFA (the sports body, not the game) just announced that they are making their own FIFA branded games, and that they will be filled with NFTs and other Block chain stuff.

My guess is that rich people will be able to buy the rights to players and possibly license them to others. My guess is also that it'll be crap.
Sounds like a good way for me to lose all my money, keen as.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

hasn’t the game been the same crap rehashed with new skins and names for the last 20 years…or is that just sports games in general.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So I just purchased a ps5 (finally after three failed attempts on ebay but that's another story)

I also purchased an ssd (crucial p5 plus along with a heatsink) as it was pretty cheap by comparison to others the same size of 1tb.

So im curious to see if anyone has installed an additional ssd in theirs, which one they went for and why