Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Weather he sings it or not lol, a lot
Do , a lot don’t, Maybe he is singing along in his head..!! Just because his lips ain’t moving doesn’t change a thing. It’s not really a big deal.. if he hadn’t come out an said anything, an on the day stood there An didn’t sing (like a lot do) then no drama..!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
So singing the anthem of the country he earns his money in is selling out?

So why are snowflakes crying over Folau standing by his principles?
It's kinda up to him to determine what his own principles are.... and there's no logical reason he should forgo his right to earn money just because he wants to draw attention to certain problems he sees with it. People can call him a hypocrite if they like, but personally I don't agree with the argument that people who benefit from a capitalist system enter the territory of hypocrisy for calling out problems they see with that system. Capitalism trades on notions of freedom and all he's doing is exercising his.

I also think it's a misnomer that a decision to not sing an anthem is a rejection of the country as a whole. A person can like apples without feeling obligated to eat an apple that has worms in it. You can appreciate a bag of apples while still pointing out a few of them have worms..... I think that's all he's doing.....Australia is a pretty juicy bag of apples....but it still has a few wormy apples in it.

The Folau situation is not really comparable....unless there's a section of the NRL code of conduct which requires all players to acknowledge and partake in the anthem, in which case the NRL may have some form of legal recourse. Given the strong financial support it receives from the Indigenous community however, I doubt it would explore them even if they were available. There are those who would like to see Folau drawn and quartered for his comments....I am not one of them.....I just think if he wants to keep his job, he should abide by his contract.....and the victim act he puts on is a bit much....especially when he has previously said if his comments put Rugby Australia in a difficult position again, he would walk away..

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I read this story this morning and thought yo myself: I wonder how long it will take for the usual to get upset. Answer was not long.

He's not exactly the first person not to sing the anthem and wont be the last.

This isnt even an event where people are representing their country... actually do NSW and QLD have state songs? That would be more interesting.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I notice that a lot of players don't sing the national anthem at Origin when the camera is going past their faces. They just don't sing it... why does this fruit loop find it necessary to make a big deal about it? If you don't want to sing, do what half the other Origin players do, and STFU when it's being sung!!!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
It's kinda up to him to determine what his own principles are.... and there's no logical reason he should forgo his right to earn money just because he wants to draw attention to certain problems he sees with it. People can call him a hypocrite if they like, but personally I don't agree with the argument that people who benefit from a capitalist system enter the territory of hypocrisy for calling out problems they see with that system. Capitalism trades on notions of freedom and all he's doing is exercising his.

I also think it's a misnomer that a decision to not sing an anthem is a rejection of the country as a whole. A person can like apples without feeling obligated to eat an apple that has worms in it. You can appreciate a bag of apples while still pointing out a few of them have worms..... I think that's all he's doing.....Australia is a pretty juicy bag of apples....but it still has a few wormy apples in it.

The Folau situation is not really comparable....unless there's a section of the NRL code of conduct which replies all players to acknowledge and partake in the anthem, in which case the NRL may have some form of legal recourse. Given the strong financial support it receives from the Indigenous community however, I doubt it would explore them even if they were available. There are those who would like to see Folau drawn and quartered for his comments....I am not one of them.....I just think if he wants to keep his job, he should abide by his contract.....and the victim act he puts on is a bit much....especially when he has previously said if his comments put Rugby Australia in a difficult position again, he would walk away..
People like Cody Walker are the wormy apples

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most Indigenous people do not have the opportunity to make lots of money from professional sport. Maybe he feels his gesture is necessary to support them. Protesters do not need to protest their own circumstances, a big part of protesting is using a platform to support society's voiceless.

Like it or lump it, he has the right to protest. Don't like it? Go find a totalitarian country to live in.

Who says tighty righties aren't easily triggered? Lol
Most white people dont have the chance to make money out of professional sport either bud and to a more degree the percent is probably lower for caucasians compared to aboriginals percent wise to the population
About 3.3% of the population is aboriginal heritage
About 68% of the population is Caucasian
Have a think about what you say first

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Weather he sings it or not lol, a lot
Do , a lot don’t, Maybe he is singing along in his head..!! Just because his lips ain’t moving doesn’t change a thing. It’s not really a big deal.. if he hadn’t come out an said anything, an on the day stood there An didn’t sing (like a lot do) then no drama..!!
This is why he will be criticized. If you watch any football code (outside maybe rugby), and look at the players, plenty are either not singing, or are mumbling away.

I say this as someone who actually knows the 2nd verse ur to singing it frequently: If I was in the players position, I'd be concentrating more on the game than I would singing.

Guy has started his position. People are as able to respectfully agree or disagree.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have the worst National Anthem in the world and it in no way represents anyone living in this amazing country.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why dont they have the opportunity?
I dont mind either way with what he is doing, but interested to know why Indigenous dont get the opportunity as everyone else would in this day and age.
That's a complex question with a complex answer. Not many people are gifted enough as athletes to earn that opportunity, regardless of their cultural background..... but statistics in this country suggest huge gaps in access to education and health outcomes which would certainly inhibit a lot of Indigenous people from making the most of the opportunities this country offers. That's not to say some Indigenous people don't make the most of their opportunities....but bass an example of someone who has, Cody Walker has every right to draw attention to what he sees as societal disadvantages which inhibit opportunities for many other members of his community. People don't have to agree with him, but I think they should respect his right to express his opinion and still take his own opportunities in life. People can think his act is non constructive or divisive, but that doesn't make him a hypocrite....at least not in my opinion....not an objective hypocrite. Nor is my opinion objective fact.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Most white people dont have the chance to make money out of professional sport either bud and to a more degree the percent is probably lower for caucasians compared to aboriginals percent wise to the population
About 3.3% of the population is aboriginal heritage
About 68% of the population is Caucasian
Have a think about what you say first
It's not just a question of professional sport though......most Indigenous people don't have as much opportunity to make it in a boardroom.....just because Walker is an athlete doesn't mean he only speaks for athletes. I do think about what I say. Do you? ;)

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have the worst National Anthem in the world and it in no way represents anyone living in this amazing country.
What lol,
Young and free ... yes that’s us
Girt by sea... yup
Mate the whole song describes us
Golden soil, and wealth for toil.....yep us
Of Beauty rich and rare ... yep got that
Tell what bit doesn’t?

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
I am not sure why Walker has come out and made this statement.
Just stand there with a game face while the anthem is playing and make a statement that way.
Not the best way to start an origin career.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All he had to was just not sing it and keep it to himself. Why the need to make it public and create negativity before the game. It’s simple don’t wanna sing it than don’t.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not just a question of professional sport though......most Indigenous people don't have as much opportunity to make it in a boardroom.....just because Walker is an athlete doesn't mean he only speaks for athletes. I do think about what I say. Do you? ;)
And dodged my answer..... lol
Facts usually do that to people

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What lol,
Young and free ... yes that’s us
Girt by sea... yup
Mate the whole song describes us
Golden soil, and wealth for toil.....yep us
Of Beauty rich and rare ... yep got that
Tell what bit doesn’t?
Young and free ... Humans in Australia have been here for nearly 50,000 years lol
Girt by Sea ... If the word Girt represents you in anyway, well done.
Golden soil, and wealth for toil..... Is that talking about our natural resources... that's cool and all but what does that say about us?
Of Beauty rich and rare ... Every country could say the same thing.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's a complex question with a complex answer. Not many people are gifted enough as athletes to earn that opportunity, regardless of their cultural background..... but statistics in this country suggest huge gaps in access to education and health outcomes which would certainly inhibit a lot of Indigenous people from making the most of the opportunities this country offers. That's not to say some Indigenous people don't make the most of their opportunities....but bass an example of someone who has, Cody Walker has every right to draw attention to what he sees as societal disadvantages which inhibit opportunities for many other members of his community. People don't have to agree with him, but I think they should respect his right to express his opinion and still take his own opportunities in life. People can think his act is non constructive or divisive, but that doesn't make him a hypocrite....at least not in my opinion....not an objective hypocrite. Nor is my opinion objective fact.
Yeah thats ok, but I believe not correct for the access comment as where I am there is more than enough Education/Health/Sport etc etc benefits for Indigenous people and honestly moreso than any other person has access to.

A number of workplaces must have a certain % of Indigenous employed to ensure diverse wokforce.
Indigenous have access to funding to pay for Sporting/Education/Health fees among others. No need to wake up early to fundraise for Rep trips like some others.

Where it goes pear shaped, like any other race is choices made when it counts for where they want to see themselves in life, hard work or fall short.

But no use going on and on about the same as this can lead anywhere. I can respect your view and thats where it all starts, right or wrong thats the world we now live in :-)

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
And dodged my answer..... lol
Facts usually do that to people
I didn't dodge your question at all....I clearly addressed it....the NRL is not an accurate miscrocosm of wider Australian society. You incorrectly assumed I was only talking about the NRL and athletes.....I don't think Cody Walker's protest is aimed at trying to provide more opportunities for Indigenous players to play NRL. The protest isn't about the NRL, the NRL is only relevant in that it is the platform he is using to make his point.