Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a difference between not singing the anthem and protesting the anthem. Walker was in the news all week leading up to the game and there was quite abit of controversy. When you're on debut you don't need all that distraction and scrutiny.
That was his own fault
Wouldn’t of been distraction or scrunity if he keep his mouth shut
Don’t sing who up to you, but when you come out publicly yapping about this and that with the anthem
Guna get the spotlight

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's a difference between not singing the anthem and protesting the anthem. Walker was in the news all week leading up to the game and there was quite abit of controversy. When you're on debut you don't need all that distraction and scrutiny.
Good point. I think everyone can agree with that. Obviously he wanted to bring awareness publicly to the issues he had with the anthem but it definitely wouldn't have helped him prepare for such a big game.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That was his own fault
Wouldn’t of been distraction or scrunity if he keep his mouth shut
Don’t sing who up to you, but when you come out publicly yapping about this and that with the anthem
Guna get the spotlight
Exactly. I'm sure he's very passionate about his cause and has legitimate grievances but there's a time and place for everything and I don't think it was the right time and place given it was his debut game and there was already so much conjecture regarding the halves.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maroons legend Justin Hodges weighs in on anthem debate

Maroons legend Justin Hodges has weighed in on the anthem debate by revealing that he chooses to sing the anthem for the people that have died for Australia.

A number of Blues players including Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr have refused to sing the anthem ahead of Origin I because they believe it doesn’t represent their people.

However Hodges believes it is necessary to honour the fallen war heroes of Australia by singing the national anthem.

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Walker and his other indignant indigenous mates can offend three quarters of Australians and the NRL ( Greenberg) says nothing ( will probably give them a reference if they ever gets done for DUI) but then say Israel Foloau cannot come back to league because he MAY have offended a small minority of the gay community with a quote from the bible. Double standards AGAIN.

Ash Turner

New Pup
Reaction score
It is disappointing that the NRL allows the SOO to be used as a stage for the racist politics of division. After having the crowd stand and listen to their version of an Anthem. ( call to country) these players think they can piss on the rest of us by refusing the Anthem that is supposed to unite us. Most disapointing was that one of them was our indigenous team captain, who should be creating a better example.
The NRL permitted this after forewarning by these brats.
Mal Meninga had the chance to step in and say if you try this racial division you won’t play for Australia (after his earlier shallow big Behavior announcements).
And stupid Freddie has lost the respect of the players who don’t expect this bullshit creating division where it doesn’t otherwise exist. That is why the Blues lost.
The stupid part is these clowns know that the NRL community does all it can for the cause of Indigenouse unity. We don’t stand for racists and especially not stuck to our biggest event.
I don’t care if they are our best players - pick someone else.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think people (like you) are making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. I don't think anyone cares who sings or doesn't sing the anthem, and I highly doubt the players even give it a second thought once the whistle is blown.

A

Alexander the Great

Latrell walker and addo carr all had shockers.

Move footy less politics for game 2

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think people (like you) are making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. I don't think anyone cares who sings or doesn't sing the anthem, and I highly doubt the players even give it a second thought once the whistle is blown.
Quite right you are lol..!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is disappointing that the NRL allows the SOO to be used as a stage for the racist politics of division. After having the crowd stand and listen to their version of an Anthem. ( call to country) these players think they can piss on the rest of us by refusing the Anthem that is supposed to unite us. Most disapointing was that one of them was our indigenous team captain, who should be creating a better example.
The NRL permitted this after forewarning by these brats.
Mal Meninga had the chance to step in and say if you try this racial division you won’t play for Australia (after his earlier shallow big Behavior announcements).
And stupid Freddie has lost the respect of the players who don’t expect this bullshit creating division where it doesn’t otherwise exist. That is why the Blues lost.
The stupid part is these clowns know that the NRL community does all it can for the cause of Indigenouse unity. We don’t stand for racists and especially not stuck to our biggest event.
I don’t care if they are our best players - pick someone else.
I honestly don't think that boycotting the anthem contributed to the loss. But I do agree that it's divisive. We have indigenous rep teams and a specific round dedicated to them. Aside from that we also have the welcome to country thing alongside the anthem. The NRL supposedly offers pathways programs unless I'm mistaken. The unethical practices of the past are something to learn from. But if the indigenous communities actually chose to have the NRL players represent them as their voice I don't think that origin and other rep games are the ideal way to use this voice. It will put more white Australians offside than gather support.

You might be surprised that many use the anthem boycotting as a reason to justify their racism.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The anthem is garbage anyway, we should get a real one.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's not start this shit again. Obviously it would have affected those players that were in the media all week but it wouldn't have affected the rest of the squad at all. Plus NSW dominated the first half.

Nathan Cleary was as invisible as Walker or Latrell but hasn't gotten any criticism. Same applies for Angus Crichton and Cordner. If it weren't for Teddy and Cook they would have gotten smashed.

NSW just weren't good enough. Using excuses as to why ignores Fittler's shit selections and rotations which are the real issue.