Club captains formally announced

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad used to make me eat mashed potatoes and beans :expressionless:
Reminds me of the days when my dad got paid mainly in sheep instead of money when he worked for my grandfather. 2 sheep a month we got and it was mashed potato and beans every night with either lamb chops, lamb roast, lamb liver, or lamb soup / bubble and squeek. I thought I was spoilt with fish and chips on Fridays but found out later that the fish was battered lamb brains.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Far too many cooks in the kitchen, I fear it shows a lack of making hard decisions from the coach wanting to be friends with everyone, that's not how you win games by being friend with your players, there needs to be a coach player relationship not acting like mates which is what I'm seeing from our coach.
Do you really think this is the reason? Surely your thinking is not this simple?!

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is a very level headed young man. They way he condcted himself throughout the period when we had just signed him speaks volumes of his character. Great choice. And both him and Mahoney are here for another 4 years.
Having another group of leaders to drive club culture and set standards for the training group is also a good idea given our massive cleanout of late. Our culture has suffered massively over the years, just look at the toll it took on Jackson. We need a group of committed leaders to help reinstate it.
Yeah the club really stuffed up by moving so many senior guys on at one time and leaving Jackson with mostly young players.. the team seems much stronger now with great leadership group

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thompson should play lock. Best used after big prop first run, using leg speed. Not worth his money, but hasnt been used right since he's been here.
I've been saying for the last 2 years that he isn't a play 1 prop, he is a play 2 middle after a good play 1 play the ball. This will allow him to use his footwork to pick at gaps created in a retreating defensive line, drop to his guts and get a speedy play the ball away. I see this as his strength.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hands up if you have figured out the difference between a leadership group (which most clubs have, and is usually of 5+ senior players), and a co-captaincy (which, as has been pointed out, many clubs have).

It seems like many on here are still struggling with this concept...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Far too many cooks in the kitchen, I fear it shows a lack of making hard decisions from the coach wanting to be friends with everyone, that's not how you win games by being friend with your players, there needs to be a coach player relationship not acting like mates which is what I'm seeing from our coach.
Penrith have Cleary and Yeo as co-captains. They just won the last two comps and made three straight Grand Finals. Clearly it didn't stop them from winning games. I can't believe so many fans are blowing up about nothing when literally half the teams in the comp do the exact same thing...

Reactions: TAS

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because we have a centre playing 6, don’t have an alpha forward pack and don’t have a coach.
Right, so blame anyone but…

Why are you so set Ciraldo is another Barrett? Other clubs chased the former but only we chased the latter.

Our pack is a bit light but it’s not too bad, if Thompson has a better year, TPJ stays fit and focussed (both questionable) and King continues to improve that should be OK along with backup from Davey, Waddell, RFM et al. And we’ve finally got a 9 after a decade.

Burton can play backs or halves. He played centre for Panther and in reps because there was no other spot. He’s 22 and already played at the highest levels - give him a chance to shine.

Kyle on the other hand has had two years and done - well, not much, apart from a decent last game against Manly in ‘22 - but their wheels had well and truly fallen off by then too. Let’s not sugarcoat reality.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Why are you so set Ciraldo is another Barrett? Other clubs chased the former but only we chased the latter.

Our pack is a bit light but it’s not too bad, if Thompson has a better year, TPJ stays fit and focussed (both questionable) and King continues to improve that should be OK along with backup from Davey, Waddell, RFM et al. And we’ve finally got a 9 after a decade.

Burton can play backs or halves. He played centre for Panther and in reps because there was no other spot. He’s 22 and already played at the highest levels - give him a chance to shine.

Kyle on the other hand has had two years and done - well, not much, apart from a decent last game against Manly in ‘22 - but their wheels had well and truly fallen off by then too. Let’s not sugarcoat reality.
Flanagun can't handle it that were finally building towards being successful again as that means there are less duds he can stick up for.. Now he has to go into overdrive being the Kennel contrarian because everything is so positive that he has to find negatives to spin and cry about. He's not a real fan of the Bulldogs, he's a fan of himself and his own bullshit. He'd rather see us struggle with average players than be successful. We could win a premiership and he'd still complain about who knows what.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
This is the way I see it:

As many have mentioned, having 5 or more players in a leadership role is not a new concept and pretty much happens at every club.

A captain needs to be as close to the action as possible, where you can see those little details and hear what's being said. This is why I believe Fox wouldn't be suited as Captain.

RFM has been with the club for quite a while now, is a senior in the player group, knows the club's values, is well respected and probably other shit we don't see behind closed doors. It's a natural progression imo.

Burton is very early into his footy career, so giving him sole responsibility of captain, on top of being a playmaker and kicker, would be unfair. Mahoney is already halfway into his career, more experienced and could've easily been a captain for Parra. So having him alongside Burton is a wise choice.

So yeah I dont buy into this "but Mahoney hasn't even played for us yet" bullshit. He has all the attributes of an on-field leader. The rest is irrelevant.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the culture weekend burton was leading one of the chants
Gus and CC arent stupid, they can obviously see they have the attributes to be captains
For crying out loud, while I’m not thrilled about the situation, almost everyone is basing their opinions on what they see. It’s irrelevant like you mention. It’s what CC Et al have seen all pre season. If they think they are the captains then so be it. Perhaps it will even help Burton become the best he can be, having more ownership over the side. While he’s young, he’s had some pretty epic experiences so far. Was a Dally M centre his firs5 fulls Eason, in a position he wasn’t experienced in, then basically ran our team in his second season and played for NSW and Australia. I think he can handle it lol.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I expect Mahoney will be the dominant mouth on the field. Burto is probably seen as the long term captain, but he needs a bit of help at the start.
ehen you watch a game, the ref is always on the play the ball, which is exactly where Mahoney will always be. Burton wont be too far away either, so it makes sense.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only disappointed the fox didn’t get the c.
I’d say if not for the fact that he is isolated on the wing, he probably would‘ve been chosen. Having him in the leadership group is just as good tbh. He’ll still help his centre and fullback and be his encouraging self. When you think of where each leader is positioned on the field, it makes more sense why CC has made this decision. From JAC to Kiks, Burton, then King and Reed in the middle, then Ray out wider. They have almost the width of the field covered. When you think of it like this it creates a level of accountability and reassurance (for the younger players) having a leader so close to them regardless of where they are on the field. It has the potential to work very well. Let’s hope it does.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An Irishman is the only person I’ve seen order three types of potato at dinner: chips, mash and scalloped.
I thought it was hilarious :-).
You’d think I was Irish with the amount of taters I eat. Well, I do have some Irish in my ancestry lol. I have (air fried) chips almost daily and scallops occasionally, but the good frozen ones I normally get have been out of stock for ages grr. Bloody potato shortage! Also eat chips and potato and gravy when I get KFC.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hands up if you have figured out the difference between a leadership group (which most clubs have, and is usually of 5+ senior players), and a co-captaincy (which, as has been pointed out, many clubs have).

It seems like many on here are still struggling with this concept...
Im struggling with who is going to lead us on the field.
There were games in recent years where we looked like a rudderless ship (no offense to Jacko).
There were games after origin where Burton looked disinterested (probably a poor word choice)
Anyways CC knows better than me and we will just have to wait and see for ourselves how it will pan out.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im struggling with who is going to lead us on the field.
There were games in recent years where we looked like a rudderless ship (no offense to Jacko).
There were games after origin where Burton looked disinterested (probably a poor word choice)
Anyways CC knows better than me and we will just have to wait and see for ourselves how it will pan out.
This aspect invites active planning and negotiation between the co-captains and the coach. They should be sitting down on a regular basis and talking about game management, scenarios, etc. Part of this process should include going through all of the potential things a captain MUST do, and the things a captain CAN do. With that list composed, Reed and Matt can actually develop their on field working relationship by talking through all those scenarios and deciding how they are going to manage it, and then adapting as they test out their ideas and find they need to tweak them.

All going well they are going to be working together for the next 4+ seasons, so getting them working together like this sooner rather than later is a good thing.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Flanagun can't handle it that were finally building towards being successful again as that means there are less duds he can stick up for.. Now he has to go into overdrive being the Kennel contrarian because everything is so positive that he has to find negatives to spin and cry about. He's not a real fan of the Bulldogs, he's a fan of himself and his own bullshit. He'd rather see us struggle with average players than be successful. We could win a premiership and he'd still complain about who knows what.
Are you new to the forum? People were negging on us back when we were making top four and grand finals… that’s the thing about this place… I used to be one of the most positive people on here. The Kennel turned me into what I have become.

At least I know how to handle the tough times with humour and not be an aggro c**t, baby!

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

I just think he’s trying to turn us into Penrith 20, Fam.

I don’t want this great club to be turned into some cheap Penrith knock off. We have tried to rip off another club and it’s culture twice now. The first time yielded us some success, but didn’t deliver us a premiership, and led to our junior systems and pathways being gutted… the second time was an unmitigated disaster.

What’s that saying about insanity and repeating your mistakes? I don’t want to follow a Penrith wannabe RSL act. I want to follow by beloved Bulldogs, baby!