Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So a guy who hasn't even played a game for us is captain. I suppose there really wasn't anyone else, Burton barely talks on field and mahoney seems overwhelmed with the role

Hotdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The captain decision probably reflects what CC wants out of his ‘captain’ at this point in time… they have such a relatively young side, with no established Bulldog senior… does CC need a captain to instil the ‘bulldog ethos’, or does he need a standout player to lead a group of on-the-cusp players… it seems he has gone with the later with Critter for this year, and possibly relying on the old Bulldog players around training to promote the ethos stuff.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im confused. Club captain like rfm or team capt, replacing burton/reed?

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another year, another captain. CC must be death riding Crighton; Mahoney, Burton and club captain RFM had the worst year of their careers last year. He should have named somone else who is likely to play NSW Cup and named the NRL captain on a weekly basis.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton simply isn’t vocal enough, is yet to prove himself and has been unspectacular based on the second half of last season. Reed needs to focus on his own game lost his head at times last season. Critta is the man absolutely.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great move by Ciraldo to get it off Burton but not a good look for Reed

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Isn’t club captain what RFM was. Which means burton and reed still on field captains?
That's what I thought. Leads the way at training. Has a public speaking role etc. But thought the other two were still going to be on field captain's. Who knows.

As soon as Burton admitted he was a flat earther I knew he was done, you can't be a captain and be that stupid
He didn't even venture onto either side of the fence though.

I’m more for it than against it, however, I do have slight concerns, but I’ll trust those in the club who know more than me.

The guy has played 100 games and has 3 back to back premierships, not as a bit player, but as an X-factor who lifted the team in crucial moments. If he already displays that then I’m good. Also, it may make Burton a better player being a leader but not THE one with all the pressure. Mahoney will be sweet. Last year leading those clowns around would have been damaging to Burton and Mahoney. This year they can focus more on their own efforts. I’m sure the group will consist of those 3, Kikau, Ado-Carr and maybe even Mann and Hutchinson.
I think it'd be hard to remain calm after dealing with refs these days. You'd have a fair idea as a Dog's captain these days that you're going to be pushing shit uphill to get a fair call. So that'd have me pissed off and probably less focused. So I'm ok if our key playmakers can just plot away while someone else argues with the refs.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have to laugh, Nine's Wide World of Sports headline is "Bulldogs Coach Axes Captains Two Weeks Before Season".
It might be true but another story about the Dogs has been turned into a negative.

On another note, I wonder if the captaincy was a factor in his negotiations with us, maybe the deciding factor.
Its never a good sign when your two marquee signings in two of the most important decisions were so bad at captain a young kid took over lol. Don't blame the media we deserve that one.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised, but not specifically disappointed. I thought Burton would lose the Job and then wondered whether Reed was ready to take it alone... I also suspected that CC does not plan to have Mahoney as an 80-minute hooker this year. If Critta is a big talker and motivator he sounds like the right choice.
Yes the fact that he hasn't worn the colours yet but has been named captain, might irk some. But JAC is not the right person especially after Koori Knockout. Max King could find himself on the bench later in the year or next, also he may not be at the club as they are still negotiating. Only other player is Preston... But too early for him.

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am surprised, but not specifically disappointed. I thought Burton would lose the Job and then wondered whether Reed was ready to take it alone... I also suspected that CC does not plan to have Mahoney as an 80-minute hooker this year. If Critta is a big talker and motivator he sounds like the right choice.
Yes the fact that he hasn't worn the colours yet but has been named captain, might irk some. But JAC is not the right person especially after Koori Knockout. Max King could find himself on the bench later in the year or next, also he may not be at the club as they are still negotiating. Only other player is Preston... But too early for him.
Couldn't agree more. No one has been there longer than two or three years. Presto next in line but critta outweighs him in experience massively. I don't think any other player has had such a decorated career by this age ever. I'm so happy he is at our club.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ciraldo just talking orders from gus, Gus is ruthless and this year he has options to put everyone on notice. Gus will get us back on top it's just a matter of time
Yeah Ciraldo is just a puppet, the guy hasn't enough intelligence to make that kind of decision. In fact it was the new chairman who instructed Gus to give Ciraldo the order to make Crichton the captain who in turn will order all the little puppets around. It's a chain of command.
At least that's what I just made up in my own head.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciro made a lot of rash decisions in his first year of head coach (choosing all the captains, signing JR, sticking with Perhem etc), but hopefully that's out of his system now. This decision is cause he's the right bloke and if it's gonna happen there's no good time, so get it over with. We're not going to have to chop and change captains for four years at least, probably longer. The boys who weren't up to it can concentrate on footy now.