Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is thrilled to announce the appointment of Stephen Crichton as the new Club Captain for the upcoming season. As we transition into the new season, the Club would like to express its deepest gratitude to Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney for their outstanding leadership and dedication as last year’s on-field Captains.

“Reed [Mahoney] and Burto [Matt Burton] have played integral roles in setting the foundation for our team’s success, both on and off the field. They did an exceptional job being thrown in the deep end last year and put their hands up during a challenging year to help guide our young squad. There were a lot of lessons and learnings out of last year and both Reed and Burto will be better from the experience of it,” Bulldogs Head Coach Cameron Ciraldo said.
This year the Bulldogs have added quality recruits to their roster, players who carry high football IQ, NRL experience and have played a lot of games. The squad now consists of a number of versatile new recruits and young, emerging talents, all whom are leaders in their own right.
One person who has consistently demonstrated their leadership qualities during the pre-season is three-time Premiership winner, Stephen Crichton: “Stephen is a really good reader of energy. He understands when people are a little bit flat, low on energy, and when it’s a bit quiet, and he can change the mood in an instant. Sometimes that’s with some annoying music or sounds, or loud noises that he comes up with but he’s great at bringing people together,” Ciraldo said.
“He really understands bringing positive energy to the group and he’s been such a valuable asset to us this pre-season.”
Ciraldo met with Mahoney and Burton to discuss the way forward in 2024 and the 2023 co-captains agreed, Crichton is the voice the side needs to lead from the front in 2024.
“Reed and Burto’s professionalism and commitment to this team needs to be acknowledged and commended. They very much remain leaders in this group,” Ciraldo said.

Crichton was highly praised for the impact he brought to the Club’s pre-season camp, mostly through his strong communication.
“I just want to lead with my actions,” Crichton said.
“I’ve been at a successful Club and I’ve seen what good leaders look like and I’ve learnt a lot from the older boys that I was with and I’ve taken a few things from each person that I can implement in my life on and off the field, as well as in being a leader.
“Going into the camp I knew straight away the boys were nervous and I knew that my communication and leadership could bring the boys up a bit and make them excited,” he said.
“I was looking at the back end of the camp, when camp was finished, and where this team could go to and I knew that they needed a leader to get them through the camp. So, I just kind of took on that role from the start.
“We have a lot of leaders that were talking through camp just as much as me, and I wasn’t trying to put that pressure just on me, I leaned on them, the other senior boys, just as much as they were leaning on myself.”
When asked what it means to be a Bulldog, Crichton reflected on his first experiences in coming to the Club:
“I just listened to a few of the boys that have been at the Club for a while about how much it means to them and it hit me. It’s a community Club, it’s a family Club. They really do care about their fans.
“I see it as hard-working, proper Dogs. Hungry. I look at the past players, Sonny Bill, Willie Mason, James Graham, players like that. They just did it without hesitation. They were just hard Dogs. That’s what I see the Club as and that’s what Ciro [Ciraldo] is trying to build here: You put the team first, you go out there and you play your heart out. That’s what being a Bulldog means.
“I can’t wait to go out there and play for them [the Bulldogs] and for my family.”
Crichton will lead the Club out to make his Bulldogs debut on Friday night during the NRL’s Pre-Season Challenge Round 2, when the Bulldogs face the Cronulla Sharks at Belmore Sports Ground (Kick-Off 8:00PM AEDT).

PaulS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not a good decision when he hasn't laced a boot and played a minute in Bulldogs colours. Secondly he doesn't need this pressure cause if everything turns to shit , Crichton will cop it all.

Not sure if their is another ideal captain candidate cause Burton definitely isn't and Mahoney needs to be off the pressure cause he was very poor last year and need to get back to being dominate 9.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a good decision when he hasn't laced a boot and played a minute in Bulldogs colours. Secondly he doesn't need this pressure cause if everything turns to shit , Crichton will cop it all.

Not sure if their is another ideal captain candidate cause Burton definitely isn't and Mahoney needs to be off the pressure cause he was very poor last year and need to get back to being dominate 9.
That's my concern. This will add fuel to the whinging brigade.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The pressure of not being captain on Mahoney and Burton should help them focus on their form. I can see why we made this move. Making Crichton captain before playing a game speaks volumes of his leadership or a risky gamble.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow, interesting move, looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Ciraldo acknowledging that the burden of the captaincy wasn't working for Mahoney and Burton. Unfortunately we don't have that forward leader or other experienced back who can.step into that role so this makes sense.
He has said all.the right things and I think he will do a great job. Hopefully the performances on the field improve drastically as that will help alleviate some of the pressure

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thank fuck Burton and Mahoney arent captains anymore.
One can't talk or organise and the other doesn't need the pressure trying to cover for weak middle third, as it caused him to go for hero plays and make errors.

Crichton being captain is a massive positive for the club. Makes me wonder if Ciro will now pick him at FB eventually.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully this does not backfire . TBH that’s pretty poor decision making by our club .
The put the pressure on Burto and Mahoney last year and have taken it back off them . The captain should be Kikau simple . He is experienced and accomplished everything in the game .
A leader of the pack and a great role model .

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does this mean we might see them both get dropped at some stages this year if they’re underperforming?

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our history with captains lately, isn't great. Either punted out or lost the job
usually our captains have played themselves into the role, however when you take into account Crichtons last 4 years including playing with samoa, he just hasn't played himself into the role at the club. Hopefully he can be a great captain and taking a bit of pressure off mahoney and burton could really help them.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Better than Burton who doesn't talk / organise and Mahoney can be erratic and doesn't need the added pressure.