Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Have to laugh, Nine's Wide World of Sports headline is "Bulldogs Coach Axes Captains Two Weeks Before Season".
It might be true but another story about the Dogs has been turned into a negative.

On another note, I wonder if the captaincy was a factor in his negotiations with us, maybe the deciding factor.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit too soon in my opinion.
Probably, but who else would you pick? I think it’s best for Reed’s and Burto’s games that they don’t have that extra responsibility. Critta while young, has a wealth of experience and has the mentality for it. King, Kiks or JAC were other options off the top of my head, but it comes down to how individuals perform in preseason, and like Ciro said, that’s been Critta.

I think he will relish it and hopefully it doesn’t affect his game. Just wondering if he has captained Samoa at all?

It’s not ideal taking it from two new recruits and giving to another, a year later (or is it 2?) but as I’ve explained, it makes sense.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn’t club captain what RFM was. Which means burton and reed still on field captains?

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully this does not backfire . TBH that’s pretty poor decision making by our club .
The put the pressure on Burto and Mahoney last year and have taken it back off them . The captain should be Kikau simple . He is experienced and accomplished everything in the game .
A leader of the pack and a great role model .
Do you know how he treats his team mates though? I mean, does he encourage them and know what to say in different situations? I don’t even think his English is great, so there are probably plenty of reasons why he might not be chosen. A preseason is as good a gauge of who it should be so I’m fine with it.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is great news, instantly puts Burton and Mahoney on notice, Neither played well enough in that first trial and it’s a lot easier to drop a player that’s not captain. Looks like CC has the gloves off, I like it.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mixed feelings about this. Totally agree with Reed and Burton not being captain but surprised that they went with Critta. Feel like King would have been a good choice. Also surprised that no one has mentioned Preston as a choice. If anyone oozes what it means to be a bulldog it is him

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So do we only have the one captain this season? Already learnt from the disaster of having 3 captains last season. Good stuff
One captain fits all!
Critta is the man.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I’m not sure on the decision, but there is always a reason for someone to be chosen as a captain.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a surprising pick.. Lot of pressure on him early in his Bulldog career. Anyway, hopefully he’ll do a good job!
We should have done it last year but they were scared to name a new recruit the captain so I'm glad for this choice

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm honestly not a big fan of appointing a captain who hasn't played a game for us yet. But if it frees up Burton and Mahoney to plot it's beneficial.

Just hoping that Crichton is up to it. Worst thing we could do is throw his focus on his role off by making him concentrate on everything going on rather than where he needs to be, timing runs and making his trademark defence.