Chasing Luai

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The reports of us chasing Luai to me this seems like absolute madness. Laui and Burton in the halves would never work. Unless we shift Burton out to left centre but I can’t see that happening unless he really flops again next year by which time Luai will already be signed.
Thoughts?
Luai can and has played successfully at halfback, goes alright.
I'm not saying I want Luai at halfback or not, just saying he can play halfback decently.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Luai is another Reynolds.

His heart is in the Penrith area. If he leaves to go to somewhere else you will not see the best of him.
Reynolds was busted when he left here

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever offers him a four year 4 mil deal will get him.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

His heart is in the Penrith area. If he leaves to go to somewhere else you will not see the best of him.
Really good point, the only difference I can see here is Luai is in his prime years whereas Tigers took on Reynolds in the latter years of his career. Luai also prob wants to prove he can own a team and wasn’t Clearys muppet

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL shouldn’t let Penrith get away with paying him 700k imo

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

If we saw the best of Reynolds well
That’s pathetic

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo would have done just as good a job for us at 6 as Luai would, and for 1/2 the price and he’s faster …

No one’s playing their best game until we plug our middle and we get a couple of big powerful props rolling us forward .. SST is a great buy if he can stay healthy .. we need at least 1 more …
Definitely not, Averillo would strive in a comfortable dominant team, he's no leader nor confident to play 6 for this Bulldogs team. When half the team before halftime has their heads down, he wont put something on or get their heads up, he'd just go into his shell.
A decent footballer, but comparing Luai to Averillo for 6 is like night and day.

Re Cleary, off topic but since we're talking about five eighths and half-backs, in 2019 with 21 games played, Cleary had a win rate of 38% compared to the last few years of 95% 88% 74%, as an idea Burton this season has a 30% win rate.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s September not April 1st , we wouldn’t be that fucking stupid.

I take it back WE WOULD !!!
That's pretty funny lmao.
Honestly I just want to see players put a solid effort in, take a flashy chance now and then, and just put their heart into everything lifting their teammates levels in training and on the field.

That'll help win most games.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The reports of us chasing Luai to me this seems like absolute madness. Laui and Burton in the halves would never work. Unless we shift Burton out to left centre but I can’t see that happening unless he really flops again next year by which time Luai will already be signed.
Thoughts?
I still believe with a strong forward pack and an organising halfback that Burton can be a great 5 8th
But getting a good halfback seems an impossible task.
So that being said, as much as I hate luai and think he could be bad for our culture,
If he does come, then Burton has to go to centres
And we still need an organising half.
It makes no sense to me to go after luai.

I'm not sure he would benefit our team all that much.
But he would absolutely have us in the papers for all the wrong reasons

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really good point, the only difference I can see here is Luai is in his prime years whereas Tigers took on Reynolds in the latter years of his career. Luai also prob wants to prove he can own a team and wasn’t Clearys muppet
and Luai is 5x the player Grub ever was

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus indirectly says the dogs will be interested in Luai on his podcast this week and said he can play halfback without risk.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Luai was hopeless at Origin level and shows he needs Cleary to hold his hand on the field.
He’s a shit C*#t and hopefully stays well away from us.
Cleary has Re-signed the blokes he wanted to keep.