News Changes to the six-again rule

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL is set to make another significant rule change next season designed to stop teams intentionally rorting the six-again rule.

It can be revealed the one rule change that will be introduced for 2022 relates to getting rid of the six-again call for attacking teams coming out of their own end. Instead, defensive teams will again be penalised for infringements inside the 40m zone.

The game’s bosses are extremely mindful that most coaches, players and fans are fed up with the constant changes in recent seasons. But this is one flaw most would probably agree was overdue to be fixed.

Too often teams are coached to give up early tackle six-again calls knowing it will gain them dominance for the set and therefore win crucial field position.

But now this shapes as a major momentum shift, because it will allow teams to kick for touch and potentially have a full set in the opposition’s half, as was the case previously.

The six-again call has divided fans and experts since it was introduced after the 2020 shutdown, but the fact is it is not going away.

On one hand it has helped almost eliminate complaints about the wrestle and it has certainly put more focus back on unstructured attack.

But many believe that has also led to too many lopsided scores because it has exposed a greater divide between best and the worst.

While fans will continue to debate which style of football they prefer, at least this change will hopefully deter teams from intentionally and blatantly breaking the rules.

It could also have an added bonus of making it a more even contest.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I only read the bold bit, PLEASE DO IT. Only reason Penrith won a comp, fucking cheats.
Everyone was doing it. Just some better than others.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly while a big number of people want this 6 again,for me it’s really become a game tag football,it is not attractive when one team is 18 to nil after 15 mins the blowouts every week,players getting binned every 10 mins,sent offs,sorry not a fan.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RL was supposed to be a contest between 2 teams, just like every other code, IMHO the 6 again rule has virtually destroyed the contest factor of the game. For me thats the reason why the game is now much less entertaining.
I strongly agree with all those who want the 6 again rule scrapped.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL is set to make another significant rule change next season designed to stop teams intentionally rorting the six-again rule.

It can be revealed the one rule change that will be introduced for 2022 relates to getting rid of the six-again call for attacking teams coming out of their own end. Instead, defensive teams will again be penalised for infringements inside the 40m zone.

The game’s bosses are extremely mindful that most coaches, players and fans are fed up with the constant changes in recent seasons. But this is one flaw most would probably agree was overdue to be fixed.

Too often teams are coached to give up early tackle six-again calls knowing it will gain them dominance for the set and therefore win crucial field position.

But now this shapes as a major momentum shift, because it will allow teams to kick for touch and potentially have a full set in the opposition’s half, as was the case previously.

The six-again call has divided fans and experts since it was introduced after the 2020 shutdown, but the fact is it is not going away.

On one hand it has helped almost eliminate complaints about the wrestle and it has certainly put more focus back on unstructured attack.

But many believe that has also led to too many lopsided scores because it has exposed a greater divide between best and the worst.

While fans will continue to debate which style of football they prefer, at least this change will hopefully deter teams from intentionally and blatantly breaking the rules.

It could also have an added bonus of making it a more even contest.

Sorry mate I can;t see how the 6 again rule can possible make for a more even contest.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's an asterisk next to the Panthers title in my book.
I dont think so.
They have fielded a top team last few years and have found and structured their gameplan around one of the best young halves to play the game.

Just because they use their brains rather than their muscle doesnt make them cheats.

They have shed plenty of players. Its natural.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I dont think so.
They have fielded a top team last few years and have found and structured their gameplan around one of the best young halves to play the game.

Just because they use their brains rather than their muscle doesnt make them cheats.

They have shed plenty of players. Its natural.
They're good at what they do and what they do is cheating. They abused this 6 again rule like no other team and the NRL let them get away with it, now that they've won a comp they've reverted it so hopefully they go back to being irrelevant and that fucking dog Cleary gets exposed.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They're good at what they do and what they do is cheating. They abused this 6 again rule like no other team and the NRL let them get away with it, now that they've won a comp they've reverted it so hopefully they go back to being irrelevant and that fucking dog Cleary gets exposed.
How much money did you lose betting against them?

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet they are all patting themselves on the back at NRL HQ for such a brilliant idea, despite probably being the exact same people who brought it in to begin with.

So (as I understand it), this means when a team is on the attack, they can ONLY get a 6 again call outside their 40m line... is that right?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While a like that they have ammended the rule, the rule in itself is completely rediculous, and it altered the fabric of the game in a bad way. The fact that they just want to change it to make it more tolerable is just absurd. Just get rid of it.
Survey fans, and im sure 80% don't like it!!