News Changes to the six-again rule

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Change it lol, it’s better than not, on the other hand , just get rid of it all together, and teams who find the loopholes will still benefit, majority of the results will still be “lopsided” !!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone like the 6 again?
Just scrap it
When we get 10 set restarts in a game I love it, when we get 1 set restart in a game I hate it, especially when it’s in the 70th minute.

The rule modification fixes a major issue with set restarts, which is its effectual inequity depending on field position. It doesn’t fix the other major issue, which is the refs selectivity.

Always a Bulldog

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a shit bandaid rule that the morons running the gameup with instead of finding a competitive option to a real scrum.

Ever since we decided that scrums were bad we have had a number of stupid rules written to compensate but none have..

Until they seriously address the problem we will continue with yearly dumb rule changes that just create a new problem.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Another variation for them to fuck up ….. just scarp it and go back to penalties for all infringements … it’s not that hard

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a shit bandaid rule that the morons running the gameup with instead of finding a competitive option to a real scrum.

Ever since we decided that scrums were bad we have had a number of stupid rules written to compensate but none have..

Until they seriously address the problem we will continue with yearly dumb rule changes that just create a new problem.
I don't think set restarts themselves have any effect on scrums, they just replace penalties, kicks and other game delayers. What they don't seem to have stopped is the slowing down of play with players peeling, drives me crazy.

Personally I like scrums as they take 6 players out of the defensive line, plus we occasionally, very occasionally, get to see a tricky set attacking play from a scrum.

Always a Bulldog

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think set restarts themselves have any effect on scrums, they just replace penalties, kicks and other game delayers. What they don't seem to have stopped is the slowing down of play with players peeling, drives me crazy.

Personally I like scrums as they take 6 players out of the defensive line, plus we occasionally, very occasionally, get to see a tricky set attacking play from a scrum.

Always a Bulldog
I agree with the scrums being good but only if it’s a genuine competition for the ball. Either reinstate scrums as a contest or replace them with something like a rugby line out, or maybe the linesman throw the ball in over his head?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree with the scrums being good but only if it’s a genuine competition for the ball. Either reinstate scrums as a contest or replace them with something like a rugby line out, or maybe the linesman throw the ball in over his head?
I'd personally have either contested scrums or just play the ball.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd personally have either contested scrums or just play the ball.
Yeah, I don’t know what the answer is but taking out real scrums took away an attacking tool that good halves and hookers could use to gain an advantage.

Plus, is speeding the game up to a glorified game of tag really better than the game we had

It also took away some of the skill set that props and hookers had and reduced set play options.

V’landys has zero footy background and is treating the game from an entertainment perspective and not as a sport.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Couldnt agree more.
I believe the rot started when they allowed feeding the ball almost into the second row. I dont know why the refs stopped policing feeding the scrum properly, It just didnt/doesnt make any sense.
Rarely happens but when a team muscles up pushing forward to try and win a scrum against the feed it usually ends up with them being penalized for it or the ref blowing the whistle to repack the scrum. I suspect this is why teams dont bother.
As you said, years later through a bunch of rule changes we get to 6 agains and they are policed randomly. I just dont get it.
Actually its beyond comprehension how we got here.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Another variation for them to fuck up ….. just scarp it and go back to penalties for all infringements … it’s not that hard
We complain about refereeing standards as it is, and now we give them an extra rule interpretation to deal with.

League, like most sports really, should be kept simple.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We complain about refereeing standards as it is, and now we give them an extra rule interpretation to deal with.

Thats why competitive scrums work. They only stopped them because a couple of very tragic and unfortunate injury’s with collapsed scrums.

Union still has scrums and the training/techniques have adapted to protect from these kind of neck injury’s.

Set plays and possession winning opitunitys have gone because of the ridiculous watering down of scrums and what triggers one. Bring them back with policing only from a single referee and no video ref and half of the rubbish laws can be done away with.

Further reduce the interchange to manage the fatigue instead of turning the game into touch footy.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What am I missing here, WTF has scrums got to do with penalties and set restarts?

Set restarts replaced penalties, they didn’t replace scrums. Penalties don’t replace scrums either. Whether we have set restarts or penalties has zero effect on scrums.

Personally I’d prefer contested scrums, with actual props and a hooker packing into the front row. And 2nd rowers packing into the 2nd row with heaven forbid a lock actually locking the scrum. Then the halves and backs can run plays off scrums, what a novel idea.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Has there been any sport EVER that has had as many rule changes, and given referees freedom to "interpret" them.

Just farcical atm.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What am I missing here, WTF has scrums got to do with penalties and set restarts?

Set restarts replaced penalties, they didn’t replace scrums. Penalties don’t replace scrums either. Whether we have set restarts or penalties has zero effect on scrums.

Personally I’d prefer contested scrums, with actual props and a hooker packing into the front row. And 2nd rowers packing into the 2nd row with heaven forbid a lock actually locking the scrum. Then the halves and backs can run plays off scrums, what a novel idea.

Always a Bulldog
I dont like contested scrums, but i do agree with forwards only packing into scrums, this can easily be policed.