News Changes to the six-again rule

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While a like that they have ammended the rule, the rule in itself is completely rediculous, and it altered the fabric of the game in a bad way. The fact that they just want to change it to make it more tolerable is just absurd. Just get rid of it.
Survey fans, and im sure 80% don't like it!!
What you said makes sense and probably the thoughts of just about every fan of the game but c'mon what else would the NRL give fans for Christmas?
It is like the grandma present...same every year.......You could do a twelve days of Christmas for the number of rule changes they announce each year leading up to the new season...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What you said makes sense and probably the thoughts of just about every fan of the game but c'mon what else would the NRL give fans for Christmas?
It is like the grandma present...same every year.......You could do a twelve days of Christmas for the number of rule changes they announce each year leading up to the new season...
Haha if it wasnt true it would be hillarious. The 6 again is definitely a blight on the game!!!

isaackurdi2007

New Pup
Reaction score
The NRL is set to make another significant rule change next season designed to stop teams intentionally rorting the six-again rule.

It can be revealed the one rule change that will be introduced for 2022 relates to getting rid of the six-again call for attacking teams coming out of their own end. Instead, defensive teams will again be penalised for infringements inside the 40m zone.

The game’s bosses are extremely mindful that most coaches, players and fans are fed up with the constant changes in recent seasons. But this is one flaw most would probably agree was overdue to be fixed.

Too often teams are coached to give up early tackle six-again calls knowing it will gain them dominance for the set and therefore win crucial field position.

But now this shapes as a major momentum shift, because it will allow teams to kick for touch and potentially have a full set in the opposition’s half, as was the case previously.

The six-again call has divided fans and experts since it was introduced after the 2020 shutdown, but the fact is it is not going away.

On one hand it has helped almost eliminate complaints about the wrestle and it has certainly put more focus back on unstructured attack.

But many believe that has also led to too many lopsided scores because it has exposed a greater divide between best and the worst.

While fans will continue to debate which style of football they prefer, at least this change will hopefully deter teams from intentionally and blatantly breaking the rules.

It could also have an added bonus of making it a more even contest.

Alhamdulilah

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Even they know it's a shit rule and just trying to make it less shit to save face.

The 6 again is the best tool they have to get results they want. That's why they are changing it and not scraping it.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Even they know it's a shit rule and just trying to make it less shit to save face.

The 6 again is the best tool they have to get results they want. That's why they are changing it and not scraping it.
And when you say “they” you really mean the NRL and the sports betting agencies... THEY

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exploitation as mentioned above, can be the only reason for keeping this rubbish rule. Otherwise they already had this at their disposal by penalising or playing the advantage when in a good attacking position.

There's two sounds I've hated recently in the NRL and they're both bells. One was Russell ringing that stupid bell before the 2014 grand final and the other was the six again bell ringing every game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree completely. If they're going to give these penalties in the 40 it doesn't necessarily mean they'll apply them fairly. In my opinion it's exactly why the rule went down like a sack of shit. They used them this year to allow one side to build an insurmountable lead and leave the opponent deeply fatigued.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was all for the 6 again when it first came in, now I hope it fucks right off

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What geniuses. They've created a new rule which was the old rule. A penalty should always be a penalty, not this six again crap. Get rid of it completely.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Please excuse the length of this post, lots of words needed to convey my thoughts.

The set restart rule was introduced to stop teams “slowing the game down” and strategically giving away penalties was a very effective method of achieving that. Stroll back on side, fain an injury, question the decision etc while the game is paused during the penalty phase. Plus a penalty inside the opposition 20 metres is not as much of a penalty (as elsewhere on the field) as the kick to gain metres is next to worthless. In fact teams often kick backwards if the penalty is awarded inside the 10 metre line.

A secondary aim was, by removing delays, to introduce fatigue into the games so “the big guys got tired“ and “the little guys could exploit their skills”.

The first issue with set restarts is it reverses the problem (with penalties) in that set restarts is hardly a deterrent for defensive infringements in the opposition‘s red zone. Compared to penalties with a free kick that often gets them out of their red zone. Some coaches exploited that inequality in the extreme.

Obviously set restarts introduced too much fatigue hence why there were so many score blow outs. Under extreme fatigue even decent teams can look hopeless, especially in defence.

My view if used appropriately, when attacking inside the opposition‘s 20 metres, set restarts are good. But when used inappropriately, with the ball inside your own 20 metres, set restarts are bad. This overcomes the reverse deficiencies with penalties, which are more appropriate inside your own 20 metre zone. So I think that the revised rule on where set restarts and where penalties are used is a more appropriate punishment for teams infringing.

This may also give teams a chance to reduce the fatigue, for example taking a penalty kick inside their own 20 metre zone will give the players a precious minute or so of recovery time.

My problem with set restarts and even penalties is that the game slowing that annoys the shit out of me the most will still continue. I farkin hate the tacklers peeling, one players releases on the refs command and then when he has released and is moving back into his defensive position the next player releases and then when he has released and is moving back to his defensive position (often second marker) the last player releases and assumes the marker position. Farkin annoys the shit out of me, in many circumstance all 3 or sometimes 4 tacklers could easily release at once, get the fark off at the same time.

All of the above is over arched by the refs inconsistencies, some teams always seem to get the calls whilst others get caned to death with set restart after set restart. I don’t hold any hope that revising rules will ever fix that problem.

Always a Bulldog

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course the betting agencies, the real owners of the nrlol
I can't disagree with you, but if true then it can only mean that the NRL head ponchos are corrupt to the core, because some or all of the betting agencies would have to be giving them money under the table, and it would prove that the money is more important to them than the wellfare of the game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you, but if true then it can only mean that the NRL head ponchos are corrupt to the core, because some or all of the betting agencies would have to be giving them money under the table, and it would prove that the money is more important to them than the wellfare of the game.
Just have to look at the moderately short term careers of the administration in the NRL to think they'd be willing to do a cash grab before they're moved on. For the most part I have little faith that rank climbers have more concern for their own future than for the games. The NRL has proven to be a stepping stone in sports administration in recent years.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course, money talks and bullshit walks. The changes to the game ever since the betting agencies have come on board as sponsors are blindingly obvious.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This piece of shit league is just another betting product IE horse racing

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All of the above is over arched by the refs inconsistencies, some teams always seem to get the calls whilst others get caned to death with set restart after set restart. I don’t hold any hope that revising rules will ever fix that problem.
Disregarding 'some teams', this is the problem as I see it.
There will never be consistency due to incompetence from the NRL and obviously ref human element.
Rule changes at the beginning of the season are enforced to the nth degree and relaxed as the season rolls on to the point of discretion of refs at any particular game. There are discrepecy with rules enforced between differant games during a single round/weekend at times.

No other rule change in the time ive been watching NRL has changed the fabric of the game more than the 6 again. The game is far worse for it.