News CENTRES OF ATTENTION

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Obviously hope we retain both at this stage. I would almost prefer to retain Avo over Alamoti, albeit he is just further in his development by age more than anything else.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the crichton signing but looking at it now we would have really struggle to find a suitable fullback and I think we would be going in with Avo/perham at 1 again. Having alamoti/avo/Xerri as the centre rotation next year would be fantastic.

If our backs progression is linear over the rest of this season into next we definitely have a ceiling of a top 4 backline IMO.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same old, same old. Dogs at the bottom of the ladder, with players nobody is interested in. Their contracts are expiring, and suddenly the media beats them up as the greatest potential in the game that the Dogs will have trouble keeping under their cap. Agents trying to up their value, is all.

Rinse and repeat.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very good point mate, but the speed we saw was great and something we’ve lacked. Like you say. Few more games consistently then the froth up will definitely be justified a little more. But the potential has been seen at a glimpse!!
Gus always said that speed wins games.

How often in past seasons have we seen breaks made, but our ponderous players are caught before they reach the line. Now with JAC and Amarillo, we have the excitement of knowing that a break will almost always equal a try.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can see something like this happening next season:

1. Critta
2. Kiraz
3. Cherry
4. Alamoti
5. Fox

14. Averillo

19. Perham

Winger/Centre Backups: Burns, Samrani, Skelton, Casey

Averillo is injury cover for most of the back line and with Alamoti and Xerri potentially big enough to shift infield a bit, could even be cover for injury to the back rowers by playing centre. He could also work on becoming a decent option at dummy half if Reed goes down.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Obviously hope we retain both at this stage. I would almost prefer to retain Avo over Alamoti, albeit he is just further in his development by age more than anything else.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the crichton signing but looking at it now we would have really struggle to find a suitable fullback and I think we would be going in with Avo/perham at 1 again. Having alamoti/avo/Xerri as the centre rotation next year would be fantastic.

If our backs progression is linear over the rest of this season into next we definitely have a ceiling of a top 4 backline IMO.
I just hope we have room for upgrades for players who will need it as we have the whole penrth brigade on big cash along with probably Oloapu & some others

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is doing great but not fussed at all if he leaves. His defence is still poor, in terms of attack he still struggles with simple stuff like drawing the winger in but he can score a long range try which he has shown. He's having an OK couple of weeks but I think Gus isn't fussed if we lose him. Kiraz was resigned straight away, Preston the same. I don't think there's any urgency here.

I think if he chooses to stay with us, if he loses his centre spot then I can see him as a really good utility off the bench. Can play all positions in the backline including halves.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see something like this happening next season:

1. Critta
2. Kiraz
3. Cherry
4. Alamoti
5. Fox

14. Averillo

19. Perham

Winger/Centre Backups: Burns, Samrani, Skelton, Casey

Averillo is injury cover for most of the back line and with Alamoti and Xerri potentially big enough to shift infield a bit, could even be cover for injury to the back rowers by playing centre. He could also work on becoming a decent option at dummy half if Reed goes down.
I just posted the same thing re: Avo. He's definitely building good utility value, can play all positions in the backline including the halves.

Personally I would prefer Perham at 14. I love the way he gets involved, he had more hit ups last week than all our forwards. I think that's vital for us off the bench.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just hope we have room for upgrades for players who will need it as we have the whole penrth brigade on big cash along with probably Oloapu & some others
Replacing TPJ and Thompson with value props will be the biggest task. If we can nail that our roster is looking in great shape. Our biggest $$$ players after that will be who?

Burton 800k
Critta 750-800k
Kikau 650-700?

Even if 1 of them completely flops our cap isn’t in disastrous shape. We won’t have any $1m players. Obviously dependent on KO coming good as well. We can then decide who of Kiraz, alamoti, averillo or Xerri we keep next year if we are playing well

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Alamoti as a centre. He’s performed well at times but his lack of speed is a major concern. Teams will continue to target him now they’ve seen how easily Souths and Eels got around him. Obviously he’s less of a liability with JAC outside of him, but he’s really only been solid in attack anyway.

Edge forward looks to be his best position going forward and centre is one position we have good depth in. With Xerri and Crichton coming next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves into the pack. Obviously Critta has been bought to play fullback, but could still end up at centre/wing. Avo has always played his best at centre. If Xerri delivers I can see our back 5 looking like…

1. Critta
2. JAC
3. Avo
4. Xerri
5. Kiraz

How good is that lads/ladettes? We can literally have that backline next year and it will be absolutely deadly!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Alamoti as a centre. He’s performed well at times but his lack of speed is a major concern. Teams will continue to target him now they’ve seen how easily Souths and Eels got around him. Obviously he’s less of a liability with JAC outside of him, but he’s really only been solid in attack anyway.

Edge forward looks to be his best position going forward and centre is one position we have good depth in. With Xerri and Crichton coming next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves into the pack. Obviously Critta has been bought to play fullback, but could still end up at centre/wing. Avo has always played his best at centre. If Xerri delivers I can see our back 5 looking like…

1. Critta
2. JAC
3. Avo
4. Xerri
5. Kiraz

How good is that lads/ladettes? We can literally have that backline next year and it will be absolutely deadly!
I think he would be an ideal 13 - lots of ouside backs have transitioned to the the back row or 13 and became better players - Wade Graham, Luke Lewis, Connely Lemulemu, Isiah Yeo

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s face it, his Manager is pouncing on the moment, that was Avo’s best game at NRL level and like all good player Managers, that’s just how business is done… he’s also had some bog average games but the potential is there.

We should be measured in our approach and agree, Gus won’t be fooled by 1 game
Wanna see him tear apart a decent defensive line before getting excited. Seems to score against the easy teams

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burns hadnt set him up twice how would he have looked?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve not seen us score long range tries since prob Barba days [emoji38]

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hate the money we must have thrown towards Crichton. I really think it was a signing we didn't need, at an amount we couldn't waste and for a position that he hadn't proved himself in. Crichton has alot to prove at our club.
SC is genuinely top-shelf talent. Now there is always a possibility that he gets to the Dogs and we don't see that talent each and every week but we at least know he has it. I think a good signing and he will prove it next year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Alamoti possibly could be used in an edge rotation off the bench imo but our starting edges must be kiks and presto.
Lol we have too many ouitside backs, so naturally we try to convert them to edge forwards - the other position we are overstocked in.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dogs won’t be fooled by one good game against a busted dragons team. No way does he command any sort of decent coin
Has always been a talented player. Starting to find his niche in the centres. You guys really don't know what you're on about lololol