News CENTRES OF ATTENTION

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CENTRES OF ATTENTION

Via Telegraph Sport Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

Bulldogs centre Jake Averillo is backing up from one of the games of his life and the timing couldn’t be better.

Averillo is off contract at the end of the year and his management are now armed with a career-defining game in their arsenal as they prepare to step up talks with Bulldogs officials over a new deal.

The sense is that Averillo wants to stay. He is a Bulldogs junior and has been given a chance by coach Cameron Ciraldo to bed down a spot in the centres.

To his credit, he has taken it with both hands - he scored two tries, busted seven tackles and ran for more than 200 metres against St George Illawarra last weekend.

The ripple effect of that performance has been that his list of admirers across the NRL has continued to grow.

The Dragons were among them earlier in the season - they approached the Bulldogs about a potential release for this season. The Bulldogs said no, an indication of how highly they rate the 22-year-old.

All in all, it means the Bulldogs are facing a battle to keep him and just to compound matters, Averillo isn’t the only Bulldogs centre with his future in limbo.

Teenager Paul Alamoti shares the same management as Averillo and is coming to the end of a lucrative contract that paid him largely on promise. He is now starting to make a return on the investment, having made a big impression over the opening two months of the NRL season and putting himself in contention for rookie of the year honours.

The Bulldogs are believed to be keen to keep both players but it won’t be easy. The club has already spent up big on Stephen Crichton for next season with a view to playing him at fullback, although he could also slot in the centres if required.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I hate the money we must have thrown towards Crichton. I really think it was a signing we didn't need, at an amount we couldn't waste and for a position that he hadn't proved himself in. Crichton has alot to prove at our club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Re sign them both ideally long term. Averillo valuable even if he's at 14 and obviously covers a lot of positions. Centre is his spot to lose in 2024 as it stands anyways.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly, Avo still needs to build on what he has done to date, I'm not too worried about these guys either though i dont see there being 2 centres spots available next year.
Is Avo a 14 though could he pinch hit in the forwards or dummy half if needed not sure on that at all but if he keeps putting the runs on the board makes himself absolutely a keeper(plus CC seems to love him nearly as much as Marley).

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Exactly, Avo still needs to build on what he has done to date, I'm not too worried about these guys either though i dont see there being 2 centres spots available next year.
Is Avo a 14 though could he pinch hit in the forwards or dummy half if needed not sure on that at all but if he keeps putting the runs on the board makes himself absolutely a keeper(plus CC seems to love him nearly as much as Marley).
No great formula to his game last week. It was the first time he seemed to be confident and back himself. I've always said he's his own biggest hurdle. I still think he could make a great FB but Centre or wing also seem to suit his body, speed etc. Next year I think we have an abundance of players for these positions. Can't help but think we didn't need Crichton or his price tag.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh mate though I'm a fan of Chrichton myself.Can see people's point though with the Cotric fail but this guy is a few levels above and even still building into his body/game.
May well have two beasts in our backline (I see Xerri figuring)and overall just pace TO BURN all over the park 8-)

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeh mate though I'm a fan of Chrichton myself.Can see people's point though with the Cotric fail but this guy is a few levels above and even still building into his body/game.
May well have two beasts in our backline (I see Xerri figuring)and overall just pace TO BURN all over the park 8-)
Yeah I see Crichton's ability aswell, just that at the time we needed to be using the money towards a #7 plus we knew we had these young guy's coming up. Delicate balance of trying to hold out and looking after juniors before buying and keeping the pathway genuinely there for them. I'm not 100% sold on Crichton as a FB.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Certainly going to be interesting times over summer/pre-season but I think it's gonna all work out fine, unfortunately some decent players may miss out or have to diversify.
I dunno if the Perham to fb experiment is all on CC(I think yes)but he has worked out to be very decent there imo, was a very raw product and only a fringe first grader and doing well.Based on that I'm trusting them with Critta, not guaranteed of course but Ciraldo knows him so well from years working with him at Penrith..we have ourselves a really switched on and lateral thinking coach from what I see so far.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d rather Averillos speed. Could Alomoti play edge? Kiraz, Averillo, Alomoti inside them. Left side fox,bronson, kiks.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt if Avo stringed together a few similar games together first though before we froth up.......
Exactly let’s see Averillo perform like he did against the dragons consistently and against the elite teams....it makes me laugh how one fukin good game suddenly makes Averillo o
In hor demand...still have doubts about his defence against the elite centres...no doubt has potential but no deserving of big contract money at this stage...and Alomati....lol how it is suggested he is killing it....he is so slow for a centre

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, I want to keep Averillo AND Alomati

that said, he had a great game against a rubbish team. I’d like to see him continue an upwards trajectory from here though.
Remember the game Crichton played against the Bunnies too though. We seem to be brushing that kid’s ability. Any team with Crichton in it is instantly better. I am glad we have him.

Gus ans CC will make it work. I can see us keeping JAC Crichton Alamoti Averillo Xerri Kiraz and Skelton. Other clubs first them in. Any additionals will be a bonus

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Alamoti and Avo are going nowhere, nothing article… player managers prey on vulnerabilities but when you have Crichton and Xerri joining us + Skelton option, we’re not desperate… it’s simply a case of how much we want them and if they get stupid money from somewhere.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dogs won’t be fooled by one good game against a busted dragons team. No way does he command any sort of decent coin
Let’s face it, his Manager is pouncing on the moment, that was Avo’s best game at NRL level and like all good player Managers, that’s just how business is done… he’s also had some bog average games but the potential is there.

We should be measured in our approach and agree, Gus won’t be fooled by 1 game

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt if Avo stringed together a few similar games together first though before we froth up.......
Very good point mate, but the speed we saw was great and something we’ve lacked. Like you say. Few more games consistently then the froth up will definitely be justified a little more. But the potential has been seen at a glimpse!!