News Canterbury rookie Dean Britt following dad Darren’s path at the Bulldogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It will be 19 years since a Britt last took the field for Canterbury when Dean follows in his club legend dad Darren’s footsteps next season.

Darren captained the club during his 168-game stint and featured in Canterbury’s 1995 grand final win.

“I’ve thought about,” Dean said of his Bulldogs debut. “If I get the chance, hopefully dad can give me my jersey and we will see if he gets emotional. He is not emotional, so it’ll be interesting to see.”

Dean, naturally, grew up as an avid Bulldogs fan. His first memories were watching his dad train at Belmore and visiting the dressing rooms after the game. The Belmore dressing room is a bit different these days but his dad’s impact on the club is there for the 25-year-old to see every day.

“Every locker has a club legend’s photo and their playing stats,” Dean said. “I’ve got my old man on my locker. It was Corey Harawira-Naera’s locker but he moved for me. At first it was a little weird, but it is very special.

“Dad stayed out of all my negotiations. I kept him updated but he left it to me. I know my nan is very happy I’m here.”

Darren Britt captained the Bulldogs to a grand final triumph.

Dean has taken the long road back to Belmore. Stress fractures in his back as 16-year-old cruelled him from taking the field in Canterbury’s Harold Matthews squad. Two years later he was overlooked by the Bulldogs for their under-18 SG Ball side.

So he took a punt and signed a long-term deal with the Storm, where he was coached by now Bulldogs coach Dean Pay in the under-20s.

“I had the HSC, I finished my last exam and went straight to Melbourne the next day,” Britt said. “Mum called me about a week later and told me I went too early and I missed an exam. One of her mates was a supervisor and rings and asks, ‘Where’s Dean’.”

Britt played just one game for the Storm in 2017 before joining South Sydney that same year. When the Rabbitohs told him this year he wasn’t guaranteed a long-term deal, he knew immediately where he wanted to sign.

“I said to my manager, ‘Can you speak to Dean (Pay) to see if there was a spot there,’” Britt said. “The Dogs were interested. That’s when Souths said they wanted me to stay, too, but they only offered me one year and the Dogs offered me two.

“I would’ve liked to have stayed my whole career at the Dogs but it didn’t happen. I’ve only played 17 games. I want to keep playing first grade.

“I’ve wanted to play NRL my whole life and get a spot in the 17 in round one.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/c67d2b21c0415704e15ace6de0f74ee1

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck. He has a strong couple of forwards to compete against for a spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol Pay coached him in the 20s

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
not sure if he will get much game time but its nice to see people who grew up supporting the club being given the opportunity to play for them. Adds that little bit extra for me
If he's picked on merit only, then that's great that he's back where his Dad played.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest he is turning 26 in the next few months. Hardly a rookie. Maybe journeyman. Seeing as it’s 3 clubs and under 50 games played.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to see him get a run ahead of Stimson and RFM. I really don't like these sort of signings (25 year, 17games) but I guess you need them to make up the top 30.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be honest he is turning 26 in the next few months. Hardly a rookie. Maybe journeyman. Seeing as it’s 3 clubs and under 50 games played.
On average less than half of all 1st grade players actually play more than 50 top grade games. His name might get him a contract, but like Pay and the current front office he will need to perform or else. If he is even half as good as his old man he will be worth working with.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved watching his dad play back in the day, he was a no nonsense type of guy who never took a backward step
Really old school tough as nails
In saying that I think dean is fortunate to be thrown a bone by our management and could be his last chance to make a name for himself
He better go full throttle next year or could be the begging of the end
Last part of this year wasn’t too shabby,good luck (young) Britt

Reactions: DT

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was terrible in that game we beat Souths towards the end of last season only time I've really noticed him. Reserve grader or bench 1st grader at best

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved watching his dad play back in the day, he was a no nonsense type of guy who never took a backward step
In saying that I think dean is fortunate to be thrown a bone by our management and could be his last chance to make a name for himself
That's what im thinking... Seems a good kid and his got some game in him but if his got any chance at the dogs for the future his gotta play out of his skin week in week out.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we should be focusing on developing Britt into a Prop. I think he'll suit the way Pay wants his forwards to ball play between/link up with each other (short passes). It'll just depend if he can improve and be good enough. I really don't see him having a future in our Second Row.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a perfect depth signing but the concern is pay picks him ahead of rfm or toumounga

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think we should be focusing on developing Britt into a Prop. I think he'll suit the way Pay wants his forwards to ball play between/link up with each other (short passes). It'll just depend if he can improve and be good enough. I really don't see him having a future in our Second Row.
He's rubbish at prop, looked far better on an edge. Just a bog average player at best.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We had a string of tough players over the years. Robbo, Costello, Hicks, Ryan, Gillespie - they were hard men, and brought out the mongrel that made the Dogs the most feared team in the comp. Darren Britt was in that mould. I saw him play - he epitomised what the Dogs were about. Never surrender.