CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It says u/20s at the storm so that means pay will pick him for sure bye bye rfm
I keep joking about it, but i'm still getting anxious at the thought of our bench being Katoa, Britt, Elliott, Smith lol.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a string of tough players over the years. Robbo, Costello, Hicks, Ryan, Gillespie - they were hard men, and brought out the mongrel that made the Dogs the most feared team in the comp. Darren Britt was in that mould. I saw him play - he epitomised what the Dogs were about. Never surrender.
Yeah totally agree with you mate we were never short of enforcers throughout those years
My favourite bullies Tunks and Kelly
I understand that the game has changed a bit these days but still think we need a couple of those type of players just to stamp our authority in the heat of the battle
Hope Napa/Stimson and company step up next year

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That goes to show...
It's not what you know it's who you know !!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what im thinking... Seems a good kid and his got some game in him but if his got any chance at the dogs for the future his gotta play out of his skin week in week out.
I was impressed with his interview regarding coming to our club and really making a fist of things
In my opinion the fact he has a good attitude really goes a long way towards him succeeding
Determination,hard work and perhaps some good tips from the old man might see Britt cut it.
Let’s hope

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dean Britt is no star, however he is better than blokes like Tualau and Fualalo for similar amount of money so i think it a good signing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dean Britt is no star, however he is better than blokes like Tualau and Fualalo for similar amount of money so i think it a good signing.
Not sure on that one.

Tualau in particular was a gun for one season and we didn't seem to develop him sufficiently. Frustrating that we've had these players with promise but don't seem to bring the best consistency out in them.

A failure in coaching all round really. Sure if they don't have the ability there's not much you can do but when they show promise and clearly have the ability, in the club's interest that talent should be realised....

The difference in Bellamy's coaching.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah totally agree with you mate we were never short of enforcers throughout those years
My favourite bullies Tunks and Kelly
I understand that the game has changed a bit these days but still think we need a couple of those type of players just to stamp our authority in the heat of the battle
Hope Napa/Stimson and company step up next year
Throw Ogden in that lot too.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure on that one.

Tualau in particular was a gun for one season and we didn't seem to develop him sufficiently. Frustrating that we've had these players with promise but don't seem to bring the best consistency out in them.

A failure in coaching all round really. Sure if they don't have the ability there's not much you can do but when they show promise and clearly have the ability, in the club's interest that talent should be realised....

The difference in Bellamy's coaching.
So where is Tualau playing fg next year then??? Has he even been signed somewhere?
So easy to just bag the coaching staff or board or whatever else, even if you you have little substance for it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We had a string of tough players over the years. Robbo, Costello, Hicks, Ryan, Gillespie - they were hard men, and brought out the mongrel that made the Dogs the most feared team in the comp. Darren Britt was in that mould. I saw him play - he epitomised what the Dogs were about. Never surrender.
Cement. Legend. Was gutted when he left for the Pies, even worse when he ended up at Brookie. Agree Britt was quality. Never took a backward step.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw Ogden in that lot too.
Agree Ogden is another that has to step up to the plate next year and lift his game to a higher level
No more second year syndrome excuses or not enough experience
I think Dean needs to stick to a starting squad and let them build confidence,we cannot be chopping up the side all year long
Jackson has to steer the boys in the right direction,expecting a big improvement straight out of round 1

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So where is Tualau playing fg next year then??? Has he even been signed somewhere?
So easy to just bag the coaching staff or board or whatever else, even if you you have little substance for it.
Nothing to do with bagging....it's about getting the best out of them while they're developing and showing promise. Ogden is going the same way. He was a hero on here 2 seasons back. Now...

I'm disappointed we aren't bringing these guys on. They clearly have the ability and lost it through lack of opportunity, confidence, not a pet, who knows.

It's a waste for the club. We're not the only club this happens at...but I only care about this club.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
More Bulldogs DNA.

Well at least Pay coached him at the Raiders and then brought him over. I was a fan of Britt as a player, a no non-sense, old-school type player, but he was also someone who tried to hide away from the fans (I know from experience). I don't think he was captain material.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing to do with bagging....it's about getting the best out of them while they're developing and showing promise. Ogden is going the same way. He was a hero on here 2 seasons back. Now...

I'm disappointed we aren't bringing these guys on. They clearly have the ability and lost it through lack of opportunity, confidence, not a pet, who knows.

It's a waste for the club. We're not the only club this happens at...but I only care about this club.
Two-way street though - can't all be the the club's fault if they don't make it.
Obviously you've gotta have enough numbers to cater for the 17 and depth to cover injuries, suspensions etc.
Some will get their chance, others not or less.
If they stay focussed and fit whilst biding their time they'd have to be first pick when that window opens.
If not - well, different story - and that's that we don't have the luxury of seeing - what the coaching staff sees.

Last edited:

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More Bulldogs DNA.

Well at least Pay coached him at the Raiders and then brought him over. I was a fan of Britt as a player, a no non-sense, old-school type player, but he was also someone who tried to hide away from the fans (I know from experience). I don't think he was captain material.
That's exactly why he was captain material he was all business.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
That's exactly why he was captain material he was all business.
More about community engagement as well though mate. Steve Price was all business but he was one of the most approachable players we've ever had. I remember in '04, he was devastated that he couldn't play in the GF. On GF day though, he was in the leagues club before the team bus departed, he was giving fans his autograph, he was having his photo taken with them, he was all smiles. Other players I've engaged with at training sessions have also been happy to do this. As a captain, DB should've been like this too. I understand he's a country boy and not a big people person, but that's something that comes with the job.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
More about community engagement as well though mate. Steve Price was all business but he was one of the most approachable players we've ever had. I remember in '04, he was devastated that he couldn't play in the GF. On GF day though, he was in the leagues club before the team bus departed, he was giving fans his autograph, he was having his photo taken with them, he was all smiles. Other players I've engaged with at training sessions have also been happy to do this. As a captain, DB should've been like this too. I understand he's a country boy and not a big people person, but that's something that comes with the job.
Agreed. DB was tough as teak on the field but you're right - the singing and dancing part comes with the (c) next to your name and that wasn't his bag at all.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Two-way street though - can't all be the the club's fault if they don't make it.
Obviously you've gotta have enough numbers to cater for the 17 and depth to cover injuries, suspensions etc.
Some will get their chance, others not or less.
If they stay focussed and fit whilst biding their time they'd have to be first pick when that window opens.
If not - well, different story - and that's that we don't have the luxury of seeing - what the coaching staff sees.
Agree but Pay has made some dodgy selections and we don't need the luxury of being at training to see it.

If a guy shows heaps of promise. Is our most aggressive runner and defender and then gets dropped and not encouraged or had that extra mentoring to get back, it is a waste for the club and that's what I'm concerned about.

Yeah the bloke has to want it of course but we shouldn't see talent wasted. It's probably the best attribute a good club and coach has...develop that talent to it's fullest.

I get the impression that Dean is a very loyal coach who picks on personality and what he sees rather than open minded on what type of playing attribute the team needs.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree but Pay has made some dodgy selections and we don't need the luxury of being at training to see it.

If a guy shows heaps of promise. Is our most aggressive runner and defender and then gets dropped and not encouraged or had that extra mentoring to get back, it is a waste for the club and that's what I'm concerned about.

Yeah the bloke has to want it of course but we shouldn't see talent wasted. It's probably the best attribute a good club and coach has...develop that talent to it's fullest.

I get the impression that Dean is a very loyal coach who picks on personality and what he sees rather than open minded on what type of playing attribute the team needs.
I too questioned some selections in 2019, but I can't believe Deano picks on personality and I don't buy into the 'pets' theory.
Any NRL coach has a limited life span if they don't start getting results reasonably quickly.
In Deano's case I think the club gave him extra time whilst they built the ladder out of our hole - hence the one year extension for 2020.
2018 was so disruptive I don't think we even count it.
2019 was a minor improvement given the amount of experience that left the previous year. We finished one game out of finals contention and frustratingly dropped at least two games we should've won.
I'm not suggesting we're going Top 4 in 2020, but in his third year, with most of the crap behind us, with more experience in the squad, there has to be forward momentum and if that's not on show in the first 8 games or so...reasonable suggestion as to what might happen for 2021.
So I think he's smart enough to know he needs results - and that means picking the strongest team he's got every week, regardless of his alleged 'pets'.