News Canterbury Bulldogs rookie Nick Meaney told to find his voice

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
New Canterbury signing Nick Meaney has been urged to find his voice as he inches closer towards earning the No. 1 jersey.
Meaney arrived at Belmore from Newcastle this season with the aim of cementing himself in the fullback role.

The 21-year-old said it has taken some time getting used to ordering his more experienced teammates around.
“It was confronting at the start,” Meaney said.

“You have to learn everyone’s name and you have respect for these guys that you’ve seen on TV the last couple of years. Now I’m telling them where to go and what to do. It’s confronting but as you build relationships and you’re on the field a lot more it’s easier. It’s an important role so I have to take it on.
“It takes time and practice when you get that time to build relationships it makes it easier. My dominancy is the one area I’m really working on. If I can get it right telling the blokes where to go defensively they will be happy I can do the job at the back.”

Meaney started to look out for a new club when his fullback path was seemingly blocked by the emergence of Kalyn Ponga at Newcastle last year. Canterbury coach Dean Pay identified Meaney as the long-term replacement for Moses Mbye.
“When we spoke about coming here he wanted a fullback,” Meaney said of his conversations with Pay. “I’ve been training there but Will Hopoate played there last year and did well. (Pay) has said it’s there for the taking. My name is up there.
“I told myself I wanted to be a fullback. Newcastle had a handy one in Kalyn.
“It was a decision I had to make whether I wanted to change positions and move to wing or centre or stick to what I wanted to do and chase that dream. The Bulldogs was the perfect fit for what I wanted to do.”

Meaney had a taste of first grade featuring in five games for the Knights last year. He has put on five kilograms during the pre-season in a bid to increase his durability.
“Playing a couple of games at that level so I knew what to expect now was a big confidence booster,” Meaney said.

“I didn’t come here not knowing what to do.
“The extra weight has helped me what I need for contact. The training has been tough but we have focused a lot on football-related skills and teamwork.
“You don’t come to training every day expecting to be flogged. You come here expecting to get better as a footy player.”

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5kgs in the pre season is a good effort. Seems to be putting in to get the fullback spot

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He certainly has put on the bulk. He is just as big as Su in a photo i saw of them recently.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this kid will be a surprise packet for us and kill it at fb which will be awesome for us

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a bitch that lacks confidence if you ask me. You want to play fullback. Well then scream at your teammates and tell them where they need to be in def. If they dont repsond blast them. I dont give a shit if you are the new guy.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm glad this is what we are hearing. Means he is a respectful kid and a little hesitant until he feels he belongs. That's like most of us in life, he just needs time to build confidence, along with positive reinforcement from the people that matter. Hope he succeeds

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like a bitch that lacks confidence if you ask me. You want to play fullback. Well then scream at your teammates and tell them where they need to be in def. If they dont repsond blast them. I dont give a shit if you are the new guy.
It’s not because he’s new, it’s because he’s young.
He’ll grow into it.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad this is what we a hearing. Means he is a respectful kid and a little hesitant until he feels he belongs. That's like most of us in life, he just needs time to build confidence along with positive reinforcement from the people that matter. Hope he succeeds
Spot on. No need to be screaming and carrying on at your team mates. Mitch Moses carries on a treat and he commands little respect at the Eels.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck Nick..
Seems this year everyone is saying all the right things and are all very positive ahead of this years kick off.. let’s hope those words are put into their performance an actions on and off the field..

If so then we are in for an exciting year and damn have I been looking forward to some footy.!!!

Go doggies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still on the fence. He showed ability in attack last year but his defence was the issue, and he had a tendency to "Brad Abbey" his way in and try to bump off players.

Other concern is Meaney at fullback means Hoppa at centre, and we all know how that turned out.

Backline is going to be interesting in the trials, and even moreso given we have guys like Harper, Okunbor, Katoa who will be pushing soon enough for spots.

Theres still the question of who misses out as well given we have: Meaney, Hoppa, Montoya, Smith, Holland, Crichton currently in the mix.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Could someone please copy the article in this thread?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/c11c15b9754e2c33e043390628d03b0e

If Meaney does not get the nod at #1, Hoppa will shift to fullback. From the article headline, it sounds like Meaney is still raw.
My first off player this year who im looking for improving on last year is Lewis. But As a new player joining us this year is Meaney. I am hoping he gets the job at fullback as predicting he will be the clubs top try scorer with Smith. We have a good mix of players some experience, youth, and most of all heaps of competition for spots .

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how he goes. I think he could be an astute signing. He showed flashes last season and also had some bad mistakes but 5 games of First Grade is way too early to judge anyone, especially a fullback... Fullback and halfback would be the hardest positions for a young player.

Hearing that he bulked up is a good sign as he was way too light last season and I hope he makes the fullback spot his own.

I liken his style to Patten and if he is half as good as the General was, we'll all be pretty happy.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how he goes. I think he could be an astute signing. He showed flashes last season and also had some bad mistakes but 5 games of First Grade is way too early to judge anyone, especially a fullback... Fullback and halfback would be the hardest positions for a young player.

Hearing that he bulked up is a good sign as he was way too light last season and I hope he makes the fullback spot his own.

I liken his style to Patten and if he is half as good as the General was, we'll all be pretty happy.
Yes i think he will surprise a lot off people. He will be a quality fullback. I watched a few of his games as well as isp games he will be hungry for the ball.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hoppa: 186cm / 98kgs
Meaney: 187cm / 95kgs (including 5 hes put on).

But Meaney is bloody quick.

Backline is going to be interesting in the trials, and even moreso given we have guys like Harper, Okunbor, Katoa who will be pushing soon enough for spots.

Theres still the question of who misses out as well given we have: Meaney, Hoppa, Montoya, Smith, Holland, Crichton currently in the mix.
I forgot John Olive is still at the club.

So ISP is likely to be:

1. Meaney/Katoa(?)/Nu Brown/Cerruto (when back).
2. Okunbor
3. Olive
4. Harper
5. Montoya/Crichton