Canterbury Bulldogs lose key sponsor Jaycar over Mad Monday scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fox Sports just gave the latest update with the Bulldogs threats to a sports commentator and unfortunately his family.
Not a good look for future supporters and sponsors, our membership will suffer.
Not sure where we go from here, I suppose we see how it pans out.
@Raza50 ... what's your source for this... do you have a link or are you telling fibs?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whose buying anything from them anyhow? Aren't they like a fourth-rate JB Hi-Fi? Let them go sponsor Marconi Stallions or something.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury have suffered a huge blow with one of their biggest and most enduring sponsors terminating its association with the Bulldogs in reaction to the club’s Mad Monday scandal.

Electronics company Jaycar has been a key backer of the Bulldogs since 2009 and for many of those years was the club’s major front-of-jersey sponsor.

The partnership, worth around $500,000 a season to Canterbury, is now over, however, after Jaycar’s owner and founder Gary Johnston decided his company could no longer be associated with the Bulldogs following the events of Monday night in The Rocks.

“Unfortunately, I just could not ignore this behaviour," Johnston told the Herald on Friday.

Johnston intends to float the company on the stock exchange and has told Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill and chair Lynne Anderson that it needs a spotless reputation to be accepted by the share-buying public.

He said he was disappointed that the club had "not bothered to contact us over this matter to explain their side of the story – if there is one."

“Even though the Canterbury members kicked out the old club administrators and voted a new mob
in I’m not sure that things have improved," he said.

“My wife Kerry, who is a welded on Bulldogs fan, and I wish the Dogs all the best for the future. A
strong Canterbury NRL team makes for a strong competition and I’m sure they will bounce back.”

The club has paid an enormous price for their post-season celebrations after photos of two players dancing naked in the Harbour View Hotel in The Rocks were taken from outside the pub and published by News Corp, along with other pictures of players vomiting on the street.

The NRL slapped a $250,000 fine on Canterbury, which in turn fined four players – Adam Elliott ($25,000), Asipeli Fine ($25,000), Marcelo Montoya ($10,000) and Zac Woolford ($10,000) – a combined $70,000. Elliott and Fine were also charged by police with wilful and obscene exposure and will face court next month.

The penalties and the split with their sponsor comes with Canterbury League Club under financial strain, with debt having increased due to a club development, raising the prospect of grants to the football club being decreased.

The loss of Jaycar, whose logo this season featured on the back of the Bulldogs jumper, is a significant setback and indicates how much of a battering the club’s image has received this week.

Ironically, Johnston’s company had begun sponsoring Canterbury nearly a decade ago when few others in the corporate sector wanted anything do with the Bulldogs after a series of controversies including the Coffs Harbour and salary cap scandals, not to mention the exit of Sonny Bill Williams and their collection of the 2008 wooden spoon.

In an effort to restore the brand, the club’s then chief executive Todd Greenberg went as far as to offer children’s cancer charity Camp Quality the front of their jersey in 2009 for free.

Johnston stood by the Bulldogs after another Mad Monday embarrassment following their grand final appearance in 2012 when it was claimed that a female Channel 9 reporter was subjected to sexist and vulgar comments.

The Jaycar managing director on that occasion took aim at the media outlet for having a camera crew stationed outside Belmore Oval during the festivities, saying the network had simply assumed that the remarks picked up by their microphone were directed at the female reporter.

“We overlooked the trouble the Dogs got into a few years ago now, because we thought it was a
Channel 9 beat-up," Johnston said. "But we are planning to float the company on the stock exchange in the near future and we really need to distance ourselves from any sort of grubby behaviour.”

Roy Masters
Roy Masters is a Sports Columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...-over-mad-monday-scandal-20180907-p502bw.html
Well good luck to Jaycar they lost a huge fan Base, there business will collapse.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club have already punted them from the sponsor section of the website.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Everyone ive spoken to about it, including a few that dont like the dogs at all, thinks its a beat up. Nobody but the media, and media puppet Greenturd, are thinking anything serious happened. The balcony they were on faces nothing. The base of the harbor bridge pretty much. No traffic or ppl in that street. The entrance is on another street. They hired a scissor lift to get the photos. Not exactly intended to be public.

For all we know they lost a bet.

We see on the footy show last night a player from another club running around on a football field, kicking the ball around, naked with the blur on, on mad monday and nothing..... fair dinkum its a fkn gee up?

A

Alexander the Great

Everyone ive spoken to about it, including a few that dont like the dogs at all, thinks its a beat up. Nobody but the media, and media puppet Greenturd, are thinking anything serious happened. The balcony they were on faces nothing. The base of the harbor bridge pretty much. No traffic or ppl in that street. The entrance is on another street. They hired a scissor lift to get the photos. Not exactly intended to be public.

For all we know they lost a bet.

We see on the footy show last night a player from another club running around on a football field, kicking the ball around, naked with the blur on, on mad monday and nothing..... fair dinkum its a fkn gee up?
EXACTLY WHY OUR CLUB/BOARD NEEDS TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST THIS SHIT!!!!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The club have already punted them from the sponsor section of the website.
Do we ever want to see your (Jaycar) logo again?

NO WAY
GET FUCKED
FUCK OFF

Brutal .... and clear now that it wasn't about Mad Monday... he was always pulling the pin after this season.

He's (in the past) told our club what to do... I wouldn't be suprised if we told him to get fucked, and he chucked a hissy fit and released that statement to the media.

Note how the club haven't even mentioned it!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fox Sports just gave the latest update with the Bulldogs threats to a sports commentator and unfortunately his family.
Not a good look for future supporters and sponsors, our membership will suffer.
Not sure where we go from here, I suppose we see how it pans out.
I cannot seem to find a link and I am pretty sure with the way the media is at the moment it would be top news in any search engine.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find a link and I am pretty sure with the way the media is at the moment it would be top news in any search engine.
Won't be long coming..after he alerts the DT

Raza50

Waterboy
Reaction score
User was warned for this post.
Check out fox news channel, you may be enlightened, but maybe you dint listen ir watch media, print or electronic, from all the content so far, it must be word of mouth.
Maybe ask our sponsors , sorry ( what were)and concerned supporters, i am sure they maybe more informed.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Check out fox news channel, you may be enlightened, but maybe you dint listen ir watch media, print or electronic, from all the content so far, it must be word of mouth.
Maybe ask our sponsors , sorry ( what were)and concerned supporters, i am sure they maybe more informed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you can't find me a link, and damn fast, that's one strike for trolling, and I start looking at your other posts as well.

Because from what I can see here (and from your post history) you've done nothing but shit stir since you signed up, and ride the holier than thou line, looking down on all other supporters frmo your soap box.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Heee's telling lies BOM BOM BOM..
Liars never worked out good.. OUT GOOD OUT GOOD OUT GOOD
I do despise
BOM BOM BOM
People talking out their shit-hole as fact..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We might be a chance of getting Neil diamond as our front of jersey sponsor after all the publicity we’ve given him over the last week............sweeeeeeet carooooollllliiiine

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in 5 or 10 years time (or right now), which of these names will you remember. Gary Johnston, Terry Lamb or Steve Mortimer. Yep, exactly. The quicker you fuck off Gary, the better.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
These latest events resulting from the “mad Monday” are just the start of more to come, it is not a surprise to me or to the true bulldog supporters.
Those in the Kennel Forum that has missed or misinterpreted the obvious impact from their antics, will now have to retreat and maybe find that the responsibility falls not with the media, but unfortunately with the club, they were warned.
You sir are a fucking imbecile

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sad to say i have not seen a situation where our great club has to endure such bed press (every 30 mins on the tv channels), all those pretending to be loyal devoted supporters, but at the same time pushing out shit statements so as to justify there own misguided, uniformed perception if the true facts, which are, “we fucked up”
Being a supporter/ member to long to remember, i will remain the faith and take what is thrown at us, but in this case we deserve it.
Have you started that other forum yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.