Canterbury Bulldogs lose key sponsor Jaycar over Mad Monday scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep kicking us you ***** it will only make our team stronger, and Jaycar is shit anyway also get rid of Kia as a previous comment said they make our jersey look shit with a red kia on it, this club will always get a sponsor as it's a viable club.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury have suffered a huge blow with one of their biggest and most enduring sponsors terminating its association with the Bulldogs in reaction to the club’s Mad Monday scandal.

Electronics company Jaycar has been a key backer of the Bulldogs since 2009 and for many of those years was the club’s major front-of-jersey sponsor.

The partnership, worth around $500,000 a season to Canterbury, is now over, however, after Jaycar’s owner and founder Gary Johnston decided his company could no longer be associated with the Bulldogs following the events of Monday night in The Rocks.

“Unfortunately, I just could not ignore this behaviour," Johnston told the Herald on Friday.

Johnston intends to float the company on the stock exchange and has told Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill and chair Lynne Anderson that it needs a spotless reputation to be accepted by the share-buying public.

He said he was disappointed that the club had "not bothered to contact us over this matter to explain their side of the story – if there is one."

“Even though the Canterbury members kicked out the old club administrators and voted a new mob
in I’m not sure that things have improved," he said.

“My wife Kerry, who is a welded on Bulldogs fan, and I wish the Dogs all the best for the future. A
strong Canterbury NRL team makes for a strong competition and I’m sure they will bounce back.”

The club has paid an enormous price for their post-season celebrations after photos of two players dancing naked in the Harbour View Hotel in The Rocks were taken from outside the pub and published by News Corp, along with other pictures of players vomiting on the street.

The NRL slapped a $250,000 fine on Canterbury, which in turn fined four players – Adam Elliott ($25,000), Asipeli Fine ($25,000), Marcelo Montoya ($10,000) and Zac Woolford ($10,000) – a combined $70,000. Elliott and Fine were also charged by police with wilful and obscene exposure and will face court next month.

The penalties and the split with their sponsor comes with Canterbury League Club under financial strain, with debt having increased due to a club development, raising the prospect of grants to the football club being decreased.

The loss of Jaycar, whose logo this season featured on the back of the Bulldogs jumper, is a significant setback and indicates how much of a battering the club’s image has received this week.

Ironically, Johnston’s company had begun sponsoring Canterbury nearly a decade ago when few others in the corporate sector wanted anything do with the Bulldogs after a series of controversies including the Coffs Harbour and salary cap scandals, not to mention the exit of Sonny Bill Williams and their collection of the 2008 wooden spoon.

In an effort to restore the brand, the club’s then chief executive Todd Greenberg went as far as to offer children’s cancer charity Camp Quality the front of their jersey in 2009 for free.

Johnston stood by the Bulldogs after another Mad Monday embarrassment following their grand final appearance in 2012 when it was claimed that a female Channel 9 reporter was subjected to sexist and vulgar comments.

The Jaycar managing director on that occasion took aim at the media outlet for having a camera crew stationed outside Belmore Oval during the festivities, saying the network had simply assumed that the remarks picked up by their microphone were directed at the female reporter.

“We overlooked the trouble the Dogs got into a few years ago now, because we thought it was a
Channel 9 beat-up," Johnston said. "But we are planning to float the company on the stock exchange in the near future and we really need to distance ourselves from any sort of grubby behaviour.”

Roy Masters
Roy Masters is a Sports Columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...-over-mad-monday-scandal-20180907-p502bw.html
What a total BULLSHIT, I refuse to read this RUBBISH
I have known for many months that Jaycar will not be continuing with the Bulldogs
This is only a publicity stunt !!!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's (in the past) told our club what to do... I wouldn't be suprised if we told him to get fucked, and he chucked a hissy fit and released that statement to the media.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: That line literally made me LOL

@Mr Invisible YOU SIR ARE A GENIUS!!!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that the Bulldogs do not need Jaycar, but Jaycar need the Bulldogs. Their business will sink without their logo on our jersey.

Good luck signing your businesses life away Gaz :grinning:

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares will find a new and better sponsor next year

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
2018 with the option for 2019.

So effectively it's a nothing story because they weren't renewing anyway.
exactly, the idiot find the right time to give his business a bit of advertising lol

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's probably all to do with:-

1. He had influence with Dib and lost that with the new Board so threw toys out of his pram.
2. It's on record he was finishing sponsorship this year anyesys.
3. He saw an opportunity to put the boot in to the new board and get some cheap publicity for his amnouncement of his proposed company float.

Opportunism for some publicity at it's worst.

His wife as a rusted on Bulldogs fan would be as disappointed at his methods, at this time, as all of us supporters.

He was a loyal sponsor when it suited but now because he has lost Dib, he has turned on the club it appears and we no longer are of any value to him (if he was quoted correctly in the papers).

He is happy to compound the misery all fans and the club are experiencing at the height of the club's distress and further add to the bad headlines....sold out!
That's a very thorough assessment..

I guess he thinks why should he pay for advertising when he can stick the boot in and get it for free by using a moral approach.. Bloody snake

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hmmmm, maybe Bryden’s can help us out?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a total BULLSHIT, I refuse to read this RUBBISH
I have known for many months that Jaycar will not be continuing with the Bulldogs
This is only a publicity stunt !!!
We re-signed them as a major sponsor in August 2015 until the end of 2016 and I think I remember reading that it was to be a decreasing input thereafter???

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We re-signed them as a major sponsor in August 2015 until the end of 2016 and I think I remember reading that it was to be a decreasing input thereafter???
Yes I heard something like that too, was actually surprised to know they were still sponsoring us

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What, can't he see it was meant to be a private prank among mates gone wrong with an elaborate conspiracy by stalkers?

Status
Not open for further replies.