Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler keen to end unwanted streak against Parramatta

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des Hasler will rack up his longest losing streak in almost a decade if Canterbury lose to Parramatta on Friday night.

Hasler's Bulldogs have lost four games in a row and could be knocked out of the top eight if they lose to their arch rivals at ANZ Stadium.

The two-time premiership-winning coach has not lost five matches in a row as coach since 2005, when Manly recorded a losing streak which spanned rounds 16 to 21 (the Sea Eagles had a bye in round 20).

A longer Hasler losing streak came the previous year, when the Sea Eagles lost six straight.

The Bulldogs, then rocked by the Ben Barba saga, last year lost four in a row from round three but recovered to make the finals, only to be eliminated in the first week.

This year's slump is more surprising given the "Family Club" was near the top of the table for much of the season.

Fullback Sam Perrett said Hasler was just the man to turn around a disturbing dip in form.

"He's always very intense and working really hard to come up with the solutions and the best answer for us," Perrett said.

"We're really lucky to have someone like 'Dessie' backing us. We're going to be working on our stuff and he's got some more plans for us to work on. We all believe in that wholeheartedly so we're just going to keep on working at it."

Canterbury's chances of qualifying for the finals received a second blow with the three-week suspension of NSW playmaker Josh Reynolds as he will join injured prop Sam Kasiano on the sidelines.

Parramatta, meanwhile, will likely replace the Dogs in the top eight if they build on their own streak of three successive wins.

"They rolled us last time with their State of Origin players missing so we won't be taking them lightly, that's for sure," forward Josh Jackson said.

"They've got a big pack and a lot of quality players there."

Asked whether he was concerned about missing the top eight, Jackson said "It's a bit worrying. We were having a good patch there for a while and we've lost four in a row ... If we'd played well in those games we probably wouldn't be too worried about it."

The Bulldogs play Parramatta at ANZ Stadium, Wests Tigers (home game), South Sydney (home) and the Gold Coast (away) in their run to the finals.

NSW centre Josh Morris said it was not enough to just limp into the play-offs. A winning momentum had to be generated to ensure the blue and whites were a genuine title threat.

"We need to get back to winning and make sure we're not going into the finals just to make up the numbers, we want to win four in a row and head into the finals with that momentum," Morris said.

"We don't want to go out in week one as we did last year."

Former Eel Reni Maitua will face his former club after being added to the Canterbury bench, as will fellow forward Pat O'Hanlon, who was punted as part of former coach Ricky Stuart's cleanout of the blue and golds.

DES HASLER'S LONGEST LOSING STREAKS AS A COACH

Manly

Lost five in a row in 2005 – rounds 16 to 21 (team had a bye in Round 20)

Lost six in a row in 2004 – rounds two to seven

Bulldogs

Lost four in a row in 2014 – rounds 19 to 22 (current)

Lost four in a row in 2013 – rounds three to six

Source

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to win this match if we are any chance of making the finals this year.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Phew. Before this article I thought Des was planning to lose against Parra.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe the pressure/unwated feeling of shitter coaches beating him are getting to him, this should be good!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Phew. Before this article I thought Des was planning to lose against Parra.
Its to the point now where it's do or die. Good thing for us is that everyone is expecting the dogs to lose this week which would take a bit of pressure of the team.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Make or break this week. We cannot afford to lose to these clowns.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Klemmer has a big job ahead if him with no Kasiano or Brown on the field. He needs to inject some impact.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will miss kasiano big tym
hope mbye has a big one coz i honestly cannot see where the points will come from of big kas is not there.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer has a big job ahead if him with no Kasiano or Brown on the field. He needs to inject some impact.
Our bench has to be strong and inject some fire when they come on.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
we've played some good football in parts during our streak so it's not all doom and gloom. We obviously need to improve our ball control and completions to get the wins.

I'm confident we'll turn that around and have a win with mbye to play a big part in it.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
What does it mean to be the best? It means you have to be better than the number two guy. But what gratification is there in that? He's a loser that’s why he's number two.”

Lets make the parramatta eels the number 2...

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll do my bit and dust off my evil eye charm to wear on the night.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We will miss kasiano big tym
hope mbye has a big one coz i honestly cannot see where the points will come from of big kas is not there.
It's tough to know where our go forward will come with no Kas. Klemmer surely must play more minutes.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des wants to end the losing streak? Bloody hell!! What about the rest of us??

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Leading the comp and sitting pretty for almost all season now we going to miss out on the 8, what a disgrace

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What does it mean to be the best? It means you have to be better than the number two guy. But what gratification is there in that? He's a loser that’s why he's number two.”

Lets make the parramatta eels the number 2...
Yeah the Eels are shit (thats what a number 2 is right lol)

I'll do my bit and dust off my evil eye charm to wear on the night.
I think your not Wog/Arab but you guys still believe in the evil eye aswell?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Last week was do or die, this week is to see if we turn of life support!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah the Eels are shit (thats what a number 2 is right lol)

I think your not Wog/Arab but you guys still believe in the evil eye aswell?
Haha you think wrong.. I am a wog half Italian,half polish,half Greek,half German but full bulldog blood. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.