Opinion Canterbury big men to become Mahoney’s bodyguards.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
On the road atm and watched Newcastle TV News ...REALLY hammering the Knights and huge pressue on Coach with must win against lowly and also desperate Dogs.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the road atm and watched Newcastle TV News ...REALLY hammering the Knights and huge pressue on Coach with must win against lowly and also desperate Dogs.
Yeh it’s a must win for them but would love to see Dogs in a dominant performance just some hard hitting defence.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree. My criticism of Mahoney is that he tries to do too much, particularly in attack. It seems to me this is frustration arising from how poor we are. He does the same thing in defence. It’s not the worst problem to have. Much better than the opposite.
People on here death ride him but he is a career elite DH. We get a decent pack and halves around him and watch him go!
Agree. Mahoney has to do too much because we have a halfback and fullback who do nothing in attack. If the workload was shared (like at Eels with Moses brown and gutherson) then he wouldn’t have to try so hard and make errors in turn. He would just need to play his part and that would be enough

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is some quality propaganda and yeah I'm gonna swallow every bit of it.

This kind of talk really floats my boat and I'm expecting our "big middles" to mop the floor with AOB's mob

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stfu ya bunch of dog ***** what would you know about being hard men like cement Gillespie or big bad Willie
You ever seen cement or big bad Willie log a 70 hour work week in a office cube? No I didn’t think so, I think the kennelers are the toughest people in Australia.

Dogs Rule

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of Mahoney's missed tackles have nothing to do with how bad our middles are defensively at times. Sometimes Mahoney rushes up, leaves himself isolated and gets bumped off too easily...

Mahoney needs to improve and control what he can control and the middles need to do their jobs first before worrying about anyone else. The rest will take care of itself.
Or maybe the middles need better line speed and keep up with Mahoney

New Era Bulldogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
[emoji438] The West Australian

Canterbury's middle forwards have vowed to become Reed Mahoney's bodyguards as the Bulldogs plot to recover from the defensive woes of their last loss.

Cronulla tore through the Bulldogs' forward pack in the game before the bye, scoring four tries by barging over through the middle of the park at close range.

View attachment 75310

Coach Cameron Ciraldo put his middle men on notice for leaving the diminutive Mahoney out to dry in defence as the Bulldogs missed 52 tackles.

"If you're going to sit on your heels and let your number nine get targeted the way he is at the moment, you're going to miss a lot of tackles," Ciraldo said at the time.

In the two weeks between that game and Sunday's clash with Newcastle, defence has been high on the hit-list for the Bulldogs' big men.

"A lot has been around attitude and intent," prop Franklin Pele said.

"That's probably the root of everything and we're working really hard on that, staying connected as a group and as a pack as well."

Returning from knee soreness for his first NRL game in a month, Bulldogs recruit Ryan Sutton said the forward pack would make it their mission to guard Mahoney from the Knights' enforcers.

"We've just got to be harder on ourselves and make sure we're a real pack," he said.

"As a middle unit, you've got to protect your small blokes.

"It doesn't matter if you're the best defender or the worst defender, if you're smaller, you're going to be a target.

"If someone's in front of you, you don't let him skip in front of you and get to someone who's in a worse position."

The Bulldogs sit 15th on the ladder through 17 rounds but are not yet out of finals contention given the congested nature of the ladder this season.

With clashes against top-eight sides Penrith, Brisbane, Canberra and South Sydney awaiting them, though, the Bulldogs must make the most of weaker opposition such as the 14th-placed Knights, who have lost their last three games.

"Every game that we've had, we've felt the same thing: We need to win," Sutton said.

"We go into every game confident we've got the game plan to get the game done."

Five-eighth Khaled Rajab will come in for his first start as an NRL player after fellow rookie Karl Oloapu dropped out with a neck injury.

"The confidence that (Rajab) has, especially only playing a couple of games, is rubbing off on everyone around him," Pele said.
Not going to happen. CC has been reminding the forwards of this since the pre season

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to be more than supporting Mahoney. It's an issue but only one issue among many with our defence. I get that Mahoney is trying to inspire them, but our defence whether from the middle or on the edges looks brittle and disorganised.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Or maybe the middles need better line speed and keep up with Mahoney
Either way, Mahoney needs to defend better as does the rest of the team. People thinking it's the middles fault that Mahoney is missing 5-8 tackles some games are kidding themselves.

I like Mahoney, I was stoked with his signing.. His first month he was great but since then he's been pretty bad. I hope he comes good but there's no doubt he needs to do better individually.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sick of all this bullshit talking! Until you prove it on the field, your are all fuckin marshmallows

- shirts will still be grabbed
- legs won’t be tackled
- we won’t wrap up the ball to stop offloads
- we won’t contest bombs

Nothing will change
Nailed it

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another 8 missed tackles in the bank for Reed. Blame the bodyguards