News Canterbury and Souths weigh up ANZ future

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck ANZ Stadium, it is a shithole. Sydney should have 3 Bankwest style stadiums that everyone shares. Gone are the days that everyone needs their own stadium.

If anyone here would rather we play out of ANZ than Bankwest you are a dumb dumb.

brucey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Liverpool doggies games would be fucking awesome. Live in narellan

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck ANZ Stadium, it is a shithole. Sydney should have 3 Bankwest style stadiums that everyone shares. Gone are the days that everyone needs their own stadium.

If anyone here would rather we play out of ANZ than Bankwest you are a dumb dumb.
But you need one large capacity stadium for Origin, Grand Final etc. So even with BW and the new SFS in late 2022 - and if there were 1 or 2 other quality mid sized venues they won’t let ANZ sit empty the rest of the year. That’s why the decision to kill the renovation is baffling. I’m thinking it might be more a postponement than completely dead - they just won’t say that until they have a better idea of what the kitty looks like after more recovery from the Rona.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It takes me longer than a game lasts to get to and from Wankfest. That’s a bus, a train, another train and a bus each way. There’s no parking compared to Homebush which is a ~20 minute drive from work or home. I’ve tried a couple of times and I can’t make it to Parramatta from work for a Thursday or Friday night game, missed kick off every time. Nice ground in a really shitty location.

As for Belmore I don’t think it’s as hard to develop as is made out. We just have to be realistic with its capacity, limit it to, say, around 20,000. A ~8,000 seat grandstand replacing Terry Lamb Hill isn’t hard to build and wouldn’t cost a lot (in stadium terms). It wouldn’t use up a bit of Peter Moore Field but not much. With SOA catering and toilets below. Then build a 3 to 4,000 seat grandstand on the northern end over the train lines. That just uses air space, which we rent for 99 years from Transport NSW, they like selling air space over train lines it’s basically money for nothing. It’s also possible at the same time to build a car park over the train lines that can also be used during the working week for commuters. Even with that, parking will always be an issue so improving public transport is the go. But that isn’t hard, with bus routes on Canterbury Rd, just add a detour towards the ground on game days. Obviously Belmore train station is close by, assisted by building an eastern access to the platforms to handle the football crowd.

The problem is not physical, it’s the dumb ass State Members for Canterbury and Bankstown, with no vision and even less clout to get things done. Plus the anti Bulldogs Council, they object to every development proposal we have put forward.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It takes me longer than a game lasts to get to and from Wankfest. That’s a bus, a train, another train and a bus each way. There’s no parking compared to Homebush which is a ~20 minute drive from work or home. I’ve tried a couple of times and I can’t make it to Parramatta from work for a Thursday or Friday night game, missed kick off every time. Nice ground in a really shitty location.

As for Belmore I don’t think it’s as hard to develop as is made out. We just have to be realistic with its capacity, limit it to, say, around 20,000. A ~8,000 seat grandstand replacing Terry Lamb Hill isn’t hard to build and wouldn’t cost a lot (in stadium terms). It wouldn’t use up a bit of Peter Moore Field but not much. With SOA catering and toilets below. Then build a 3 to 4,000 seat grandstand on the northern end over the train lines. That just uses air space, which we rent for 99 years from Transport NSW, they like selling air space over train lines it’s basically money for nothing. It’s also possible at the same time to build a car park over the train lines that can also be used during the working week for commuters. Even with that, parking will always be an issue so improving public transport is the go. But that isn’t hard, with bus routes on Canterbury Rd, just add a detour towards the ground on game days. Obviously Belmore train station is close by, assisted by building an eastern access to the platforms to handle the football crowd.

The problem is not physical, it’s the dumb ass State Members for Canterbury and Bankstown, with no vision and even less clout to get things done. Plus the anti Bulldogs Council, they object to every development proposal we have put forward.

Go Dogs
It’s all nice to say put and grand stand here and grand stand there at Belmore but it’s never that simple especially when working over train lines. I notice you whinged about parking at Parramatta well times that by a thousand at Belmore the streets surrounding the stadium are in gridlock for hours before and after a game for crowds of under 10k. There’s no place to build a car park there you can’t turn Peter Moore Field into a multi story car park either as it’s rare green space. The local residents might put up with one or two games a year but getting the whole suburb shut down for a day over 10 times a year will draw plenty of back lash.

We would be the only team playing there and you want to put all this money into it for a capacity of 20k? When the club is winning games we go very close to averaging crowds of 20k so it’s not going to be suitable for half the games because the crowd doesn’t fit in. So you’ll be turning fans away or going to ANZ or SFS to play big games.

Then there’s getting funding for it all. The club has struggling to get money because they don’t have their connections in government anymore. The Coorey’s were close with Obeid’s and that helped out a lot with getting funding but that’s gone now. The Leagues Club certainly won’t be paying for it with recent events and they wouldn’t have before either seeing as they don’t own it.

Belmore getting turned into a permanent home isn’t going to happen. The club would be better off campaigning for a BankWest type stadium in the Liverpool area. The Leagues Club owns land out there which the club could use either for the stadium or a new club.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But you need one large capacity stadium for Origin, Grand Final etc. So even with BW and the new SFS in late 2022 - and if there were 1 or 2 other quality mid sized venues they won’t let ANZ sit empty the rest of the year. That’s why the decision to kill the renovation is baffling. I’m thinking it might be more a postponement than completely dead - they just won’t say that until they have a better idea of what the kitty looks like after more recovery from the Rona.
I’d prefer a postponement of the redevelopment as hopefully they can go the whole hog next time and do the redevelopment properly. They need to gut the whole thing or knock it over and start again. The plans they had in place still had level 6 staying as it was and it would have been lip stick on a pig.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to play out of Bankwest as opposed to anywhere else IF Olympic park falls through. The amenities and atmosphere at Bankwest are unbelievable.

I still can't believe Moore park aka SFS got a whole new rebuild LOL Fucking biggest rort
Alan Jones wanted it. He just wasn't prepared to use SCG Trust funds to get his way, so convinced the government to come up with the money for him and his mates

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s all nice to say put and grand stand here and grand stand at Belmore there but it’s never that simple especially when working over train lines. I notice you whinged about parking at Parramatta well times that by a thousand at Belmore with the streets surrounding the stadium are in gridlock for hours before and after a game for crowds of under 10k. There’s no place to build a car park there you can’t turn Peter Moore Field into a multi story car park either as it’s rare green space. The local residents might put up with one or two games a year but getting the whole suburb shut down for a day over 10 times a year will draw plenty of back lash.

We would be the only team playing there and you want to put all this money into it for a capacity of 20k? When the club is winning games we go very close to averaging crowds of 20k so it’s not going to be suitable for half the games because the crowd doesn’t fit in. So you’ll be turning fans away or going to ANZ or SFS to play big games.

Then there’s getting funding for it all. The club has struggling to get money because they don’t have their the connections in government anymore. The Coorey’s were close with Obeid’s and that helped out a lot with getting funding but that’s gone now. The Leagues Club certainly won’t be paying for it with recent events and they wouldn’t have before either seeing as they don’t own it.

Belmore getting turned into a permanent home isn’t going to happen. The club would be better off campaigning for a BankWest type stadium in the Liverpool area. The Leagues Club owns land out there which they club use either for the stadium or a new club.
We can agree to disagree, that’s ok, but every problem there is at Belmore is there at Liverpool. The residents will complain there because there is no football crowds at all currently. Residents around Belmore have always had a football ground there (unless they are over 100 years old). Belmore has hosted more league games than almost all other grounds, only the SCG, Leichhardt and Brookvale have held more.

Liverpool is an undeveloped green space not used currently for much, Peter Moore Field is developed and used 7 days a week. All of the Bulldogs teams will have Belmore as their home ground, not just the NRL team. I’m pretty sure Canterbury Bankstown FC would enjoy the up grade from Crest Reserve.

I picked ~20,000 as that’s around the capacity of Kogarah, Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cronulla, Brookvale, Penrith and Wollongong. If it good enough for them it’s good enough for us.

As for air space over railway lines, Transport NSW have been told by the NSW Government to pursue every avenue. There’s a shopping centre above Hurstville railway station for example, a grandstand and a car park would be a doddle compared to that.

Obviously it’s not simple, it will take lots of hard work, but less than starting from absolutely nothing as would be the case with Liverpool.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree, that’s ok, but every problem there is at Belmore is there at Liverpool. The residents will complain there because there is no football crowds at all currently. Residents around Belmore have always had a football ground there (unless they are over 100 years old). Belmore has hosted more league games than almost all other grounds, only the SCG, Leichhardt and Brookvale have held more.

Liverpool is an undeveloped green space not used currently for much, Peter Moore Field is developed and used 7 days a week. All of the Bulldogs teams will have Belmore as their home ground, not just the NRL team. I’m pretty sure Canterbury Bankstown FC would enjoy the up grade from Crest Reserve.

I picked ~20,000 as that’s around the capacity of Kogarah, Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cronulla, Brookvale, Penrith and Wollongong. If it good enough for them it’s good enough for us.

As for air space over railway lines, Transport NSW have been told by the NSW Government to pursue every avenue. There’s a shopping centre above Hurstville railway station for example, a grandstand and a car park would be a doddle compared to that.

Obviously it’s not simple, it will take lots of hard work, but less than starting from absolutely nothing as would be the case with Liverpool.

Go Dogs
The main difference between Belmore and Liverpool is the sharing the ground with the Tigers which greatly increases the chances of getting government funding plus you’re not locked into one site like you’re at Belmore. Another massive positive of Liverpool is that it will be a whole new stadium not a couple of grandstands that have to jammed into a very small area. Belmore’s light towers on the hill are also in a terrible spot for a potential grandstand.

Residents around Belmore haven’t been used to a full season of games since 1998! So many new people would have moved into the area since then. How many games it has hosted in the past is irrelevant when it’s only had a handful in the last 20 years.

All of the club teams currently use Belmore as their training base and play games there besides the NRL side so nothing will change there.

I see the starting over new at Liverpool as a massive positive. Belmore has passed its used by date and even with a upgrade it’s still going to have on going issues.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phuck Liverpool, we have always been belmore based.
Belmore or bust
The main difference between Belmore and Liverpool is the sharing the ground with the Tigers which greatly increases the chances of getting government funding plus you’re not locked into one site like you’re at Belmore. Another massive positive of Liverpool is that it will be a whole new stadium not a couple of grandstands that have to jammed into a very small area. Belmore’s light towers on the hill are also in a terrible spot for a potential grandstand.

Residents around Belmore haven’t been used to a full season of games since 1998! So many new people would have moved into the area since then. How many games it has hosted in the past is irrelevant when it’s only had a handful in the last 20 years.

All of the club teams currently use Belmore as their training base and play games there besides the NRL side so nothing will change there.

I see the starting over new at Liverpool as a massive positive. Belmore has passed its used by date and even with a upgrade it’s still going to have on going issues.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phuck Liverpool, we have always been belmore based.
Belmore or bust
What planet are you on? We haven't played at Belmore for 20 years apart from a handful of games.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wanna talk about DNA and all this bullshit , then belmore is where the stadium will be built......we have been based at belmore whether playing or training for many many years, bar 1 or 2 when they moved training to homebush.

Where do the street parties happen, belmore, where us our drinking hole, the leagues club belmore !!+
What planet are you on? We haven't played at Belmore for 20 years apart from a handful of games.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They wanna talk about DNA and all this bullshit , then belmore is where the stadium will be built......we have been based at belmore whether playing or training for many many years, bar 1 or 2 when they moved training to homebush.

Where do the street parties happen, belmore, where us our drinking hole, the leagues club belmore !!+
Who’s ‘they’??
There’s way more mention of ‘DNA’ on TK than comes from anywhere else! :-).

Personally speaking Liverpool wouldn’t be my preference but the business case has to come first.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d prefer a postponement of the redevelopment as hopefully they can go the whole hog next time and do the redevelopment properly. They need to gut the whole thing or knock it over and start again. The plans they had in place still had level 6 staying as it was and it would have been lip stick on a pig.
The thing I never really got was it was more or less the same price tag to re-develop ANZ as it was to build a new SFS. If that’s actually true then a new stadium is the obvious solution.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's just wrong to say the Dogs have been playing and training out of Belmore for many years. They last used it as their regular home ground in 1998! Over 20 years ago!

The parties still happen in Belmore regardless if the play there of not. They were playing at ANZ in 2004, 2012 and 2014 and Belmore went bonkers. So what is your point?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is we keep away from a junkie infested area like Liverpool.
The thing I never really got was it was more or less the same price tag to re-develop ANZ as it was to build a new SFS. If that’s actually true then a new stadium is the obvious solution.
It's just wrong to say the Dogs have been playing and training out of Belmore for many years. They last used it as their regular home ground in 1998! Over 20 years ago!

The parties still happen in Belmore regardless if the play there of not. They were playing at ANZ in 2004, 2012 and 2014 and Belmore went bonkers. So what is your point?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your favourite current board and its highly skilled management group
Who’s ‘they’??
There’s way more mention of ‘DNA’ on TK than comes from anywhere else! :-).

Personally speaking Liverpool wouldn’t be my preference but the business case has to come first.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
If you really cared about watching live nrl you would not give 2 shits about a bit of extra travel if it meant watching the game at a better stadium. ANZ is awful to watch NRL, and is going to be even more awful with covid restrictions. You not being able to get there from work is your issue.

Belmore is never getting a big redevelopment so just let it go. There is no space, there's too many people living basically on top of it, and there would be absolutely no where to park and even with this fantastical idea you have about building it over the train line, it would cripple traffic for kms around it. Parramatta has much better roads nearby and even it clogs up and the parking there is not huge.

Sydney does not need 10 20k+ stadiums. It is a massive waste of money. All we need is 3 maybe 4. Bankwest is one, another one down Campbelltown way would be nice and then the third will be the SFS. Although I would replace SFS with demolishing ANZ and building a new state of the art rectangle stadium there. 60k or so capacity, maybe push it to 70.

Your idea makes absolutely no rational sense. No one apart from a handful of Bulldogs supporters would want Belmore revamped. The Government needs to think bigger than one small bunch of people. Keep suburban grounds for games that get fuck all fans, like sydney vs interstate teams.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The growth in population, $793 Million being spent on the refurbishment of Liverpool hospital, $100 million the refurbishment on Westfields Liverpool is evidence for Liverpool being geared towards becoming Sydney’s third CBD.
it makes sense for us to be based there. The last two premierships we won, we didn’t have the Canterbury name; 2004 The Bulldogs & 95 we we known as the Sydney Bulldogs.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The growth in population, $793 Million being spent on the refurbishment of Liverpool hospital, $100 million the refurbishment on Westfields Liverpool is evidence for Liverpool being geared towards becoming Sydney’s third CBD.
it makes sense for us to be based there. The last two premierships we won, we didn’t have the Canterbury name; 2004 The Bulldogs & 95 we we known as the Sydney Bulldogs.
Totally agree. The club had the right idea with Oasis it was just unfortunate it didn't get off the ground.

The Tigers have failed to capture a lot of the fans in the south west Sydney and it's 50\50 Tiger to Bulldog fans. We could take a strangle hold of that whole area with some forward thinking.