Canterbury’s current dramas are the result of years of poor recruitment and retention

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
What an absolute load of shit.

90% of the issues raised were caused by Hasler...fully aided and abetted by the old board.

Mbye might have been a wonderful conversationalist :laughing: ...but was a terrible half...and a WAY overpaid FB....thanks to...guess who?! He had to go.

Damien Cook - not retained by....guess who? When literally EVERY fan could tell he was twice the player Lichaa was...but somehow the coach couldn't.

Sezer left why?....because SOMEone (guess who??) was playing Mbye & Hodkinson & also Blake Green (who he then also let go) in the halves. Turns out Sezer was the best of the lot of em. But...whoops!...Too late.

The Morris twins...shame, but are at the end of their careers. And living on borrowed time physically. One of them didn't even last a fortnight into 2019. Loved them...still do...but let's face it - they were never going to be round the next time we were strong enough to win a Premiership...so...hard decision to cut them loose..but understandable. If we didn't, then what?...We lose our next generation of young gun outside backs like Smith and Okunbor...etc...Why?...So Crawley can bag us for that in a couple of years??....Pft.

Woods was terrible. Might have come good...might not. But bottom line was: He's a prop. He was never going to win us a comp. Our biggest problems lay elsewhere. So best to cut him loose in order to be able to make a play at the positions we REALLY NEED to fill in the coming years...a SPINE! A truly top-line half if one becomes available. A dominant hooker....etc. So in fact...the DUMBEST move here...was signing him to a big fat deal in the first place. Which was.....Hey hey, guess whooooo?!

Klemmer...Yeah, that was an odd one...Would not have let him go, and tried to find a way to make him happy. I'll give him that.

But the one thing this terrible article reinforces is it should be absolutely clear to everyone...if there was any doubt before...this IS Hasler's fault. All of it...So cheers, Paul!...You don't turn around literally years of CRIMINAL mismanagement in just 1 season + 2 rounds ya muppet.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What an absolute load of shit.

90% of the issues raised were caused by Hasler...fully aided and abetted by the old board.

Mbye might have been a wonderful conversationalist :laughing: ...but was a terrible half...and a WAY overpaid FB....thanks to...guess who?! He had to go.

Damien Cook - not retained by....guess who? When literally EVERY fan could tell he was twice the player Lichaa was...but somehow the coach couldn't.

Sezer left why?....because SOMEone (guess who??) was playing Mbye & Hodkinson & also Blake Green (who he then also let go) in the halves. Turns out Sezer was the best of the lot of em. But...whoops!...Too late.

The Morris twins...shame, but are at the end of their careers. And living on borrowed time physically. One of them didn't even last a fortnight into 2019. Loved them...still do...but let's face it - they were never going to be round the next time we were strong enough to win a Premiership...so...hard decision to cut them loose..but understandable. If we didn't, then what?...We lose our next generation of young gun outside backs like Smith and Okunbor...etc...Why?...So Crawley can bag us for that in a couple of years??....Pft.

Woods was terrible. Might have come good...might not. But bottom line was: He's a prop. He was never going to win us a comp. Our biggest problems lay elsewhere. So best to cut him loose in order to be able to make a play at the positions we REALLY NEED to fill in the coming years...a SPINE! A truly top-line half if one becomes available. A dominant hooker....etc. So in fact...the DUMBEST move here...was signing him to a big fat deal in the first place. Which was.....Hey hey, guess whooooo?!

Klemmer...Yeah, that was an odd one...Would not have let him go, and tried to find a way to make him happy. I'll give him that.

But the one thing this terrible article reinforces is it should be absolutely clear to everyone...if there was any doubt before...this IS Hasler's fault. All of it...So cheers, Paul!...You don't turn around literally years of CRIMINAL mismanagement in just 1 season + 2 rounds ya muppet.
Exactly right. Dumb to say you can’t blame Hasler when he had Klemmer, woods, graham, mbye, Tolman, Foran, hoppa on closer to a million then closer to the minimum :p even Eastwood was on a $850k back ended deal last year.

So in effect you have about 80% of your cap on 25% of your team and yet still don’t have a fullback, half or hooker in the squad.

Definitely haslers, but more so castles and dibs fault. Let’s not forget those 2 duds re-signed Hasler in round 2 2017 on a contract extension that we paid out too. Even though he is now coaching against us :p lol

If we fuck up. We fuck up across the park :tearsofjoy: no one can say we aren’t consistent.

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
Oh definitely not letting those 2 off the hook!...Well...moreso Dib...Castle was just a useless hood ornament on the out-of-control monster truck that Dib started up, then shut his eyes, released the handbrake & handed free rein of the wheel over to Hasler...who then, predictably, drove it through the nearest brick wall and over a cliff...which he then just golden parachuted out of, cackling all the way, to land in Brookvale...Oh yes...they most definitely have a lot to answer for!! :upset:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man on man was T Rex a flop. I must admit when we first signed him I was so geed to add him to our pack cause of his Manly form
Manly fans were happy to see him go, his finals performance in 2011 had them fuming. He didnt even want to come and play for us but the deal was just to good to pass up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just another poor excuse for a journalist digging in the boot with cheap shots.

It's not like we didn't know that recruitment and retention were poor for a while. But this is just a rehash of the obvious with a little fornication over Hasler thrown in.

Cop this rubbish on the chin and hope that our new board has a positive plan to get us back up with the premiership contenders quickly.

Step one is the recruitment of solid players in easier to fill positions. Alongside of recruiting somewhere better than solid in key spine positions.

We can't judge the performance of the board on the recruitment drive for this season. We could have struggled along for a while without shedding so many players. But the board looked at it in a different manner.

I'll use an unnecessary analogy. You can keep chewing with rotten teeth and put up with years of pain or have teeth extracted to let your mouth heal. The dentist was harsh, and our gums haven't healed yet. But when the new teeth come in we'll be better off.

What we are facing now is hopefully the worst period we have to go through. The second part of the fix for the club involves getting our production line healthy again. Bringing juniors through the system will take time to pay off. Even to the point where we can fill the easier gaps with solid prospects to allow for spending on key positions will help in the long run.

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a wanker!!! Nearly every problem we face now is due to des hasler. Most of the players we don't want are here because of des and EVERY player we should have kept is gone bevause of him through either prefering other palyers, or through ridiculous contracts. And then brings up the 2 grandfinals we made early on before he had the chace to change the team too much. The longer he was there and the more he shaped the team to how he wanted it the worse they played. ***** got no idea. Yes we have trouble athome right now and dean pay may not be the best coach out there but i would have liked to of judged him coaching with a team similar that des hasler had at the start rather then what we have right now. Daily telegraph are trying hard here

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There is alot more surgery to occur on the roster in the next 6-18 months or atleast i hope that is the case. Otherwise why are we bothering?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't agree with the thread because its over a period of time, I blame some of it on Castle's lack of experience in NRL salary cap management and tendency to agree with everything with no foresight on the next five years.
No club has suffered more in this respect.
Too many cooks spoil the broth, in come the next lot of experts.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never got why Hasler had to back end all these contracts to begin with??
Does someone know or can someone explain this? I still don't think we had a roster anywhere near the top tier teams even in 2012 and 2014.
To Hasler's credit I think he got us over performing. No way were we top 4 on paper. Would seem like you could assemble every squad we've had in the last decade well within the salary cap.

PS-It's Rugby League's jouro's job (literally) to report all things Rugby League. We are piss poor and in loads of trouble. Of course it should be reported.
Everyone thinks we get hammered but all the rubbish teams do when they're rubbish. Parramatta copped it HARDCORE last year and do a lot cause, well, they're shit a lot. We are the most rubbish team in the NRL in a long time. I'm actually fearful we might set a negative record this season with the least amount of wins.
I can't see us winning anything, especially with Lichaa in the team. With our defence you need to score points to win, I can't see points coming at all while he's on the field. Anyway, really hope I'm wrong but this year certainly looks bleak.

If it was me in charge I would be buying the BEST 1,6,7,9,13 available and recruiting within reason with the next big hits going to Ferguson/Oates type wingers.
I would then be developing or recruiting the rest on 100-200k a year. I see no point on paying anything more than min wage on players like Sue,Crichton etc. There would be plenty of players out there that a good coach could get to at LEAST that standard in one off season. I don't want anymore recruits unless they are pretty much the best in the comp at their position. Not just shit-average on who knows what kinda dollars.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Des should of got 1 more season as coach considering they allowed him to already sign the players he wanted for the next season, the way he wanted (we assume), which is a problem in itself. Everyone at the club is to blame. I wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't give Pay a chance with a competitive roster which we won't have for 1-2 more years (by competitive I mean 6-10th).
That’s what iv been saying Youngblood.

We allowed Des to build a team he wanted but didn’t see out the method to the madness.

It’s like doing a 7 day round of antibiotics but then stopping after day 3 because you want to drink. It makes the situation worse for you long term and this is what happened.

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
I still don't think we had a roster anywhere near the top tier teams even in 2012 and 2014.
To Hasler's credit I think he got us over performing.
2012 we had an excellent roster...which Hasler pretty much inherited...and were just unlucky to lose THE most dominant & effective player in the entire NRL at the time - Barba - at the wrong time - who came back way off his best in the GF before having to go off in that game for good...& even so...could still easily have beaten Melbourne had the ball just bounced our way that day...2014 we got lucky and had no business being in a Grand Final that year...and how Souffs didn't put us away before they did is on them....not us...then 2015-17 we were just on a specTACULAR downward slide...What was clear from all of this tho was: The longer Hasler stayed...the worse things got...the players he was sticking with...whilst the players he was ignoring & letting go...who went on to star elsewhere...and the players he was bringing in to replace them on the wages he was giving...were just OUTRAGEOUS!...And unsustainable.

We allowed Des to build a team he wanted but didn’t see out the method to the madness.
Again - When you see the players he ignored/let go....stacked up against those he brought in...If you can't build "the team you wanted" when given complete carte blanche over 6 years...and end up after all that time with a squad 100% worse than the one you inherited when you started...mate...sorry, but - you simply don't know wtf ur doing and "the team you want" is clearly shit.

The Hasler/Dib/Castle trifecta was easily the worst thing to happen to this club in my lifetime...been following them diehard since 1980.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just re sign martin before we lose him he is one of those players that our team always players better with him in it

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No doubt we are paying for the poor recruitment decisions by Hasler .
But the bastard came close to winning the premiership twice and if he had pulled it off we wouldn’t be as upset as we are now.
The problem with Hasler was he brought in players that flopped paying overs for them , and let players go who could actually play, because they didn’t fit into his “system” .
When Hasler arrived at the club he inherited a decent roster , hence the GF appearance in his first year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just re sign martin before we lose him he is one of those players that our team always players better with him in it
True. He brings leadership.

Those saying Hasler needed another year...just remember the bloody boring, inept footy. The guy totally lost it as a coach. Enough said.

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score

Sezer left and played with the titans in 2012. Mybe was nowhere near 1st grade then. Hodkinson, Reynolds, kris keating and ben Roberts were the halves in 2011, the last year Sezer was at the club.
I do imagine that Dick Hasler didn't want Sezer when he came as Sezer signed with the titans at the end 2011 and Hasler wanted Tolman to play every position.
Blake Green played one season in 2010.

Which brings me to my next point of that flogs article in which he states they were players let go in recent years. Is 8 years recent?