Canterbury’s current dramas are the result of years of poor recruitment and retention

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that Paul Crawley is one of the most inept reporters there are. This article like others have already said has holes all over it. But in essence the theme of the article is spot on. We must forget about blaming who got us in this mess and start owning up to the problems we have and fixing them.

Owning up to the problems involves our club being more open with us the fans. The club needs to come out more and clarify where we actually sit in regards to salary cap and future spend options. The amount of reports we have heard go from we have room in our cap this year to us not having any cash until 2022.

With Pay only having this year left on his deal I would not care if the club even came out and hired someone now to replace him. If he's not the right man we might as well do it sooner than wait till the end of the year and waste the next 8 months.

A long term fix is not an option. We will not tolerate 3 spoons in a row. They have to get their house in order now so that the team is competitive. Obviously we are not winning the comp in the next couple of years but surely we can be competitive. It's about buying smart and not marquee. Selling the Morris brothers because we only wanted to give them a one year deal was stupid. If we have a gun centre or winger missing out because of them fine let them go. But to let these guys go and replace with Crichton and Montoya just shows how out of his depth Pay is. No-one with any football brain could see that working out well.

In a nutshell we need a quick fix to make us competitive and a three year plan to be able to contend.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
its not just who the club let go but also who they signed and kept re signing - t rex, foran, lichaa, woods. We also have top 30 and development contract players who are on the bench in Sydney shield or cant make RM cup.
There is some optimism in the junior sides this year - best overall for a number of years - since 2010-12 - unfortunately they are a few years off first grade.
how could i forget trex

the manly wonderkid

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So cap rorting is absolutely a proven successful tool to win comps. It's the only way to run a successful club in a corrupt competition.
I couldn't agree with that more! You hit the nail on the head. It actually is the only way to win comps.

Take 2013 for example, roosters buy SBW, Maloney(in his prime), Jennings(in his prime) in one freakin offseason! They finished near the bottom in 2012 and in 2013 after they bought 3 marquee players in one hit, they win the comp.

What a joke of a competition!

Last edited:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with that more! You hit the nail on the head. It actually is the only way to win comps.

Take 2013 for example, roosters buy SBW, Maloney(in his prime), Jennings(in his prime) in one freakin offseason! They finished near the bottom in 2012 and in 2013 after they bought 3 marquee players in one hit, the win the comp.

What a joke of a competition!
No one batted an eyelid when they spent $2,000,000.00 on two players in one season and then won the GF.

And, please, no one give me "they're just smart" bullshit. I wasn't born yesterday.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Article is just stating the obvious. And can't really judge our forced releases and cheap recruitment since Des coz Pay is hamstrung by what Des did still.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Article is just stating the obvious. And can't really judge our forced releases and cheap recruitment since Des coz Pay is hamstrung by what Des did still.
All true. But I worry that the next coach will be hamstrung by some of the signings Pay has made...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
All true. But I worry that the next coach will be hamstrung by some of the signings Pay has made...
Pay so far has had to recruit cheap because of Des. So it's still Des' fault for now if Pay was replaced soon

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Under Hasler we had some of the worst major signings in NRL history. T-rex which was the highest paid forward at the time, signed Brett Morris to play FB when he's a winger and Foran.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I cant believe our recruitment and retention was sooooo bad!!! FFS we had "recruitment guru" Noel 'Crusher' Cleal....
Fat, hopeless, talent-less, NFI mother f@cker!!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Crawley having a ‘crack’ at Pay and current board

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Under Hasler we had some of the worst major signings in NRL history. T-rex which was the highest paid forward at the time, signed Brett Morris to play FB when he's a winger and Foran.
Man on man was T Rex a flop. I must admit when we first signed him I was so geed to add him to our pack cause of his Manly form

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Crawley you're a piece of shit. Des has fucked us for years to come. What about Trex and letting Cook, Finucane Latrell Mitchell, Munster go. Maybe in 2 years we can stop blaming Des.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crawley you're a piece of shit. Des has fucked us for years to come. What about Trex and letting Cook, Finucane Latrell Mitchell, Munster go. Maybe in 2 years we can stop blaming Des.
you can add saying no to Ferguson that just recently came out..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will blame Des for not making the top 8 this year and possible next..

But I will blame Dean Pay for getting the spoon and the floggings we cop this year...

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As soon as the new board started to use the “salary cap stuff up” as a shield to hide behind there was a ready-made excuse to fail.

It is always convenient and designed I guess to provide clean air, but often leads to inertia.

In the clubs case I don’t think there is inertia but just no plan at all.
The Morris boys, why were they let go again?
The two year thing is just bullshit, they are better players than what will we have in their positions this season and probably next.
I don’t know what Josh is getting paid, but it makes my blood boil to her Brett is on minimum NRL contract with the roosters.

Fucking dumb decision after fucking dumb decision is being made.
Oh and the club has apparently completely left the reservation with regards to TPAs. Again dumb, a couple of juicy TPAs could have kept Josh & Brett at Belmore to the end of their NRL career.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A Great Proud club that has been flopping around with terrible redruitment decisions decisions since 2004..

The list is long and been done to death they could have copied one of a 1000 posts on the kennel..

Klemmer and Morris brothers are big mistakes.. they join TRex, Cook and co all the way back to Thurston..

No one is 'bigger" that the club.. sure .. but part of good sport business is keeping your biggest assets eg best players happy..