Can we all get on the same page

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement when I watch the trials.

Unlike others, I have a good eye for spotting change or improvement. The trials are sufficient for me to determine how we'll go.

Personally, I have reservations about the season ahead. Too much uncertainty in the spine for mine.

But like every season, you wait and see what they dish out and blindly support them every week, even if you know the writing is on the wall.

So bring on the trials and let's see if there is anything to look forward to.
It’s hard to tell from the trails as you have multiple changes each 1/4.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I stopped reading after you rubbished the Broncos.

Seriously, pull your head in.
They were a whisker from the premiership and about to beat the best team of the last 5 years. They can score at will and you have rubbished their spine.

All credibility lost in that 1 post.
Tell me exactly what I posted that isn’t true?
Reynolds is another year older, true.
Mam is the worst spine defender in the NRL, true.
It is effectively Mam‘s 2nd year, true.
Ditto Walters, true.
Opposition coaches, as with all 2nd year players, will be running the videos hard and looking to exploit their weaknesses, true.
Walsh’s defence is almost as bad as Mam’s, true.

This was solely a spine comparison, Brisbane covered up for their obvious spine deficiencies in defence and they have lost 2 of their best defenders in Farnworth and Flegler plus I didn’t mention Capewell another loss.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at the way he criticises players that are far superior to ours, it honestly nuts that he thinks we're anywhere close to them lol.
You are the most prolific of “the grass is always greener” brigade when it comes to comparing other teams. You ignore their blatantly obvious negatives whilst over hyping ours. You bitch endlessly about Mahoney and Burton‘s defence but when was the last time you even mentioned Mam’s ludicrous defensive record? Or Walsh’s piss poor error rate, the worst in the NRL? Nothing to see there, move along.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto Walters, true.
Opposition coaches, as with all 2nd year players, will be running the videos hard and looking to exploit their weaknesses, true.

This was solely a spine comparison, Brisbane covered up for their obvious spine deficiencies in defence and they have lost 2 of their best defenders in Farnworth and Flegler plus I didn’t mention Capewell another loss.

Always a Bulldog
All I know as fact is Broncos won most of their games and we lost most of ours.

Comparing teams on paper and hoping for them to go worse than last year while hoping we improve, just so you can bridge the gap, is the thing of fantasy.

As I said.....they were a whisker from the GF while we were a whisker from wooden spoon.

2023 team changes should have been evidence enough that wholesale changes to a team doesn't necessarily mean they won't be as bad as previous years form. We have done the same for 2024.

Broncos can cover any defensive lapses with superior attack. We simply don't cover defensive lapses at all.

Chalk and cheese.

I'd take Walsh, Mam, AR and even the much improved Walters anyday of the week to replace our spine.

In fact, I'd take them ahead of just about any other spine in the NRL - sans Penrith.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ditto Walters, true.

Always a Bulldog
That spine should have won the GF. Mam and Walsh are great players.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
All I know as fact is Broncos won most of their games and we lost most of ours.

Comparing teams on paper and hoping for them to go worse than last year while hoping we improve, just so you can bridge the gap, is the thing of fantasy.

As I said.....they were a whisker from the GF while we were a whisker from wooden spoon.

2023 team changes should have been evidence enough that wholesale changes to a team doesn't necessarily mean they won't be as bad as previous years form. We have done the same for 2024.

Broncos can cover any defensive lapses with superior attack. We simply don't cover defensive lapses at all.

Chalk and cheese.

I'd take Walsh, Mam, AR and even the much improved Walters anyday of the week to replace our spine.

In fact, I'd take them ahead of just about any other spine in the NRL - sans Penrith.
Avoiding the question, what did I post that isn’t true?

Always a Bulldog

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Ditto Walters, true.

Always a Bulldog
Hmmm... the worst spine defender in the NRL last year was...

Just saying....

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That spine should have one the GF. Mam and Walsh are great players.
Man and Walsh great attacking players, they put Brisbane 18 points ahead of Penrith, but those 2 players also cost Brisbane the win with their defence.

ps: In saying that they are both still kids they can only get better, what a spine for years to come.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
To be fair 4 of the top 5 are hookers and ours played in easily the worst pack in the comp.
Agree - but think that shows that Mam isn't the worst spine defender. All relative to how much you are run at or how many tackles you try to make.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The squad looks better than last season's.

I've had too many years of thinking that this will be the year when we start to show something, only to discover that it is Groundhog Day.

I will not allow myself to get excited about 2024 until I've seen how the team has gone in the first 12 games.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I've had too many years of thinking that this will be the year when we start to show something, only to discover that it is Groundhog Day.

I will not allow myself to get excited about 2024 until I've seen how the team has gone in the first 12 games.
It’s been a long time. Hopefully the boys will turn up and play their hearts out.
Team isn’t looking bad with
Mahoney, fox, kiks, burto, critta, Tracey, kiraz Preston, king, in the team.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree - but think that shows that Mam isn't the worst spine defender. All relative to how much you are run at or how many tackles you try to make.
It also has Munster way up the list above Burton for missed tackles so I woouldnt read too much into it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmmm... the worst spine defender in the NRL last year was...

Just saying....
Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.
I used the term "worst defender" (not "missed the most tackles") for a reason :smirk:
Mam makes on average 18 tackles a game and misses 4, whilst Mahoney makes 41 tackles a game and misses 5. Like the other hookers on the top of the missed tackles list their positioning is not surprising considering the work they have to get through. Hopefully this year Mahoney won't have to make so many.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is exactly how I feel Chris, I’m excited to see the new team run out, who plays where etc. .. but my expectations on how they’ll perform are very grounded until I watch them play a few games ..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.
I used the term "worst defender" (not "missed the most tackles") for a reason :smirk:
Mam makes on average 18 tackles a game and misses 4, whilst Mahoney makes 41 tackles a game and misses 5. Like the other hookers on the top of the missed tackles list their positioning is not surprising considering the work they have to get through. Hopefully this year Mahoney won't have to make so many.

Always a Bulldog
Ok then - Luke Brooks made 17.8 tackles a game and missed 4/game last year. So dats worse than Mam right?