Burton

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The player I was most disappointed in yesterday was Mahony, he made 3 errors in handling, about the same in poor judgement and more than that in mis directed passes. Compared to Trial #1 where he was outstanding, he was a totally different player in Trail #2. Some of it could be blamed on poor run timing of the catchers, but even then he threw some real stinkers. I didn't expect much of Burton being his first game back, but I did expect a lot from Mahony and he didn't deliver.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rough estimates are that so far 60% want to move him to centre and 30% want to release him from his contract tomorrow. Shit is going to get awkward when he plays well. There'll be more Moonwalking than the Billie Jean film clip

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The player I was most disappointed in yesterday was Mahony, he made 3 errors in handling, about the same in poor judgement and more than that in mis directed passes. Compared to Trial #1 where he was outstanding, he was a totally different player in Trail #2. Some of it could be blamed on poor run timing of the catchers, but even then he threw some real stinkers. I didn't expect much of Burton being his first game back, but I did expect a lot from Mahony and he didn't deliver.

Always a Bulldog
I agree, Reed was very poor, even his kick assist for Kikau was a poor kick that got lucky

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rough estimates are that so far 60% want to move him to centre and 30% want to release him from his contract tomorrow. Shit is going to get awkward when he plays well. There'll be more Moonwalking than the Billie Jean film clip
Then people will be happy if he shows it , the Problem is this is not isolated where he does fuck all and sits back as if he is a centre waiting for someone else to do something

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The kennel is actually fried.. but that's what happens when the club had been in the ground for too long

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe the team should worry more about bashing each other at training learning new tactics to become a force in the competition rather than play different cultural drums and feather dress wear. I dunno just a thought. Although who cares it’s just a trials match lol

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Somebody ask Gus if Burton was sick during the week before the game. Apparently he had gastro. Let's hope that partiality explains his performance.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Poor bloke carried the whole spine the whole game.

Give him a break. He is quality and has the best service in the league.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only thing mahoney was guilty of was trying too hard. He will have to do plenty of heavy lifting if we can’t find a decent half back.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was pretty obvious to me that Ciro cooked the boys on the Saturday and will freshen them up over the next 2 weeks.

They were flat - no better evidence than when Avo was in the clear and couldn’t get out of 2nd gear.

We will ambush the sea eagles

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not sure if CC is keeping powder dry (which would be ideal) but the attacking shape gave me Baz vibes

Lateral and no one hitting holes to straighten the attack
Did someone say block shape out the back off forwards... It wears thin quickly

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

the whole team was abit klunky on the weekend. only a trial, we were competitive in the first half. pass mark for me. thought our line speed was excellent in the first half, thats one positive.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes Burton was a concern but how does JAC not get the ball at all in attack? That’s some TB coaching right there

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please stop being realistic and putting things into perspective... Like you said he's barely trained for weeks. Of course he's underdone. It's not an excuse, it's just fact..

Why so many people want to stick the knife into Burton at any chance is beyond me...

Hearing the crowd at Belmore cheer and chant for Reynolds despite being down 30-4 gave me chills reminded me that we have the best, most loyal fanbase in the comp...Then reading the comments after the game reminded me that we also have the most overreactionary and unreasonable fanbase in the comp at times...
I 100% agree with this. We can be great supporters, but also incredible critics on here. I still recall trying to get people to temper their expectations after Lachlan Lewis has a handful of good games at the end of his debut season. The place went nuts over him. Then when he didn't turn out as good as hoped, he was unloaded on without mercy for the fact that he'd been slotted into the role of saviour.

Burton is a better player. But he won't be the superstar in every game. The better defensive teams will be able to shut down our stars, which is why we need to get our teamwork firing. Until every combination of players has some potential to create a try it's easy to focus on those who can.

I was unfortunately working again and couldn't watch the game, but it sounds like the instructions were to focus on fitness and stay healthy for game 1.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I 100% agree with this. We can be great supporters, but also incredible critics on here. I still recall trying to get people to temper their expectations after Lachlan Lewis has a handful of good games at the end of his debut season. The place went nuts over him. Then when he didn't turn out as good as hoped, he was unloaded on without mercy for the fact that he'd been slotted into the role of saviour.

Burton is a better player. But he won't be the superstar in every game. The better defensive teams will be able to shut down our stars, which is why we need to get our teamwork firing. Until every combination of players has some potential to create a try it's easy to focus on those who can.

I was unfortunately working again and couldn't watch the game, but it sounds like the instructions were to focus on fitness and stay healthy for game 1.
The thing about being passionate is that it goes both ways. Always being super passionate and positive generally takes really strong anti-depressants lol.

The key factor is winning….

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe the team should worry more about bashing each other at training learning new tactics to become a force in the competition rather than play different cultural drums and feather dress wear. I dunno just a thought. Although who cares it’s just a trials match lol
LMFAO AT FEATHER DRESS WEAR.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton is our first half in years who has been able to produce points... I wouldn't be too concerned about him.. yes he has a bit to work on, but he is a much better player than what we saw on the weekend.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What I noticed is neither of our halves goes looking for/ demanding the ball. Look back at shifty's highlights jumps into dummy half, is always running one of the ruck, looking for and wants the ball. Even Reynolds st least goes looking for the ball. Without a ball playing lock. Reynolds has to be in the team and brown on the bench. Our halves are just too passive. If that means Flanno is dropped or Burton to centre whatever. Also didn't hate Reynolds at 13. But obviously that wouldn't work at the start of the game and not for huge minutes.
I think skelton showed more in his limited minutes then most of our outside backs. Hope he is in contention for a starting spot.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The fact that we are injury free after both trials is a positive for sure. Im sure we will overcome this poor performance before round 1.