Opinion Burton will be a top 3 half in the NRL in 2024

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Allan Langer wasn't great? Peter Sterling? Steve Mortimer? Ricky Stuart? That's crazy.

Oh so the Panthers aren't stacked? Cleary is eliminated from great talk then.
It all depends on how easy you declare someone a great? What your judgment is. I consider greatness something very few achieve. The immortal system is the closest it gets. Only the greats make immortal status.

Will Cronk ever be an immortal?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It all depends on how easy you declare someone a great? What your judgment is. I consider greatness something very few achieve. The immortal system is the closest it gets. Only the greats make immortal status.

Yes he will.

Also I don't think the immortals is what should determine who was great. They made it easier now than it was before to get in. Also it's the opinion of a few people like Phil Rothfield who has terrible opinions.

So answer this question. In your opinion was Steve Mortimer great or not?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't know that the 1998 Broncos team played in 1997. My bad. The Panthers 2003 GF winners are shit because they didn't beat the Bulldogs 2004 team..................... Your argument keeps getting dumber. I'm out.
Well why did you bring up the 96 Manly team. I'll just put it simple for you. 97 Broncos would wipe the floor with the Knights team.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer was a great or our club. Him and Stero were standouts of their era. For the time he played he would have been considered great.

That being said you cannot compare eras. If you are talking top 10 of all time in any position. If you are realistic everyone of them is a modern day player. Not many players from yesteryear dropped into today’s game would make it. With sport science and training eras cannot be compared.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The problem with immortals is you can have 4 truly worthy candidates for Immortal status from 1 decade vs an average single player immortal from another decade and yet only 1 or maybe 2 of those 4 will get it while the other single guy will get it easy.

It's almost like a club of best of the rest rather than best in the game compared to any era.

IMO both Billy Slater and Cam Smith are way more deserving than some of the existing immortals. Of course I'm biased because I've only watched footy for 40 years but these guys revolutionised the way their positions are played. They excelled and stood out in all rep levels of the game. They did this with the game at its highest participation rate and during professional era where competition was much higher.

That's my opinion anyway...

Reactions: CMP

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In my forty plus years I have seen some great halfbacks. Sterling and Mortimer were neck to neck as the two best I had seen until Stuart and Langer came along. Those four could have all been considered the best in the game at different times. They were all a similar level.

Then came Johns. Joey was a step up from all of them, he had everything. Great kicking, passing, running game and he could hit like a back rower I couldn’t stand him but can’t deny he was the best.

Thurston and Cronk were both on a similar level to the first group. At times both looked better but we’re probably about the same. Over time we all forget greatness and sometimes have false memories. I would throw Kimmorley in there who was very unlucky not to achieve more. Maybe a level down from some others.

Cleary may not be the greatest yet. But I have seen him do better things than any other halfback ever. I would have only Joey in front of him. And I’m very confident he will be better

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Back on topic. Burton has the potential to be one of the best. He just needs some better players around him like all the great halves had.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Until Cleary dominates at Origin he isn't a top 5 halfback of all-time.

He isn't in the same class of Thurston yet let alone Joey.

Recency bias is so bad these days.

I'm out on this convo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1. Cronk
2. Daylight
3. Cleary
4. JT
5. Averillo

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think Joey was doing the things Cleary is doing at his current age. Joey only started to dominate after the competition split Langer & Stewart and when they retired. He was also behind noddy for the Kangaroos jumper.

Having said that, Peak Joey was the best halfback I've ever seen.
Oh there were plenty of good halves competing, sometimes Joey had to fill in at hooker.
iirc Noddy, Barrett, Gower, Lam, even Shifty

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Rubbish! While Cronk is elite, you must consider the teams Cronk played in who were flooded with stars in key positions both at the Storm and Roosters.
I have considered that and I still think Cronk is the better halfback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The reality Burton is great young player
* Proved himself as a very good Centre
* Yet to prove himself as a 5/8
* Will never be a Halfback, I don't normally say never freely !

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
JT's record just in SOO blows Cronk and Nosecandy boy from Newie out of the park.. Fuckin cochroaches...
Had a few more than handy teammates to help him amass that record. JT was better than Cronk, IMO. But Joey still the current GOAT.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turvey is the greatest, here's why...
When his career began we lost our forwards and almost the whole team, replaced by the reserves and behind physically the weakest pack in the comp he lead the team like magician from 1979 onwards.
In 10 years he lead the club to 6 grand finals wining 4.
Lead NSW to it's first SOO win as a captain.
Represented Australia 8 times unlucky not to be more, I believe due to selections politics.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Turvey is the greatest, here's why...
When his career began we lost our forwards and almost the whole team, replaced by the reserves and behind physically the weakest pack in the comp he lead the team like magician from 1979 onwards.
In 10 years he lead the club to 6 grand finals wining 4.
Lead NSW to it's first SOO win as a captain.
Represented Australia 8 times unlucky not to be more, I believe due to selections politics.
Turvey was a sensation. Should have definitely played more Internationals.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Oh no.. Someone disagreed with Freakzilla and dared to have a different opinion.. Everyone is now automatically blocked.
He’s actually not a real person. No way he gets away with ts in real life lmfaooo