Opinion Burton does not deserve to be captain.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Stats from today..

Score - Souths 50-16
Possession - Souths 57%, Bulldogs 43%
Run Metres - Souths 1900, Bulldogs 1266
Tackles - Souths 230, Bulldogs 376
Missed Tackles - Souths 12, Bulldogs 30
Line Breaks - Souths 10, Bulldogs 1
Penalties Conceded - Souths 3, Bulldogs 11
Try Scorers for Bulldogs: Averillo, Burton (2)

Kennel Conclusion: Somehow all Burton's fault..
Stats from today...

Minutes Sutton was a corrupt cuntrash - 80 mins

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is every player who’s come through with burtos potential and gone on to succeed has had an older player/s that took the pressure off of them while also teaching them the ropes. Who has burto had? Fkn the averillo experiment that lasted 5 games? Then wakeham? Then the biggest ghost of all Flanno? The answer to solving burtons inconsistencies is not to drop him or put him at centre. It’s to fkn get someone in that can actually play 7 - otherwise it’s a detriment to his game and his development if it continues and he stagnates.
Well the only real option is KO

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He won’t win us a premiership at 6. The Stephen Crichton signing just fucks with this situation even more considering that also overrated Penrith dud wants to play a position he isn’t meant for.
If Crichton plays fullback under CC then he will excel.

jcdogs84

Waterboy
Reaction score
Stats from today..

Possession - Souths 57%, Bulldogs 43%
Run Metres - Souths 1900, Bulldogs 1266
Tackles - Souths 230, Bulldogs 376
Missed Tackles - Souths 12, Bulldogs 30
Line Breaks - Souths 10, Bulldogs 1
Penalties Conceded - Souths 3, Bulldogs 11

Try Scorers for Bulldogs: Averillo, Burton (2)

Kennel Conclusion: Somehow all Burton's fault..
Definitely not entiirley Burtos fault, there were many factors that contributed to the end result.

BUT...Butons decision making hurt us in the first half and that cannot be denied..on the back of his early kick for JAC and the failure to find touch definitely swung momentum.

I love Burto and I know it's just a matter of time before the young man produces week in and week out. We haven't seen the best of him yet, that's a given. I won't bash him, but he is still far from the finished product (and that's a good thing)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You forgot the minutes before and after the game.. Basically whatever his age is.. :tearsofjoy:
Seriously bro, there's incompetence and there is corruption. I know which one that putrid piece of shit is.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Definitely not entiirley Burtos fault, there were many factors that contributed to the end result.

BUT...Butons decision making hurt us in the first half and that cannot be denied..on the back of his early kick for JAC and the failure to find touch definitely swung momentum.

I love Burto and I know it's just a matter of time before the young man produces week in and week out. We haven't seen the best of him yet, that's a given. I won't bash him, but he is still far from the finished product (and that's a good thing)
I don't disagree with any of that. Not finding touch definitely swung momentum. Kicking on 2nd tackle was a bad play..

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Travis Norton was a lock, go check some highlights if you can find them.. guy was a superstar and Burton has the same attributes.

Your not wrong about the ball playing though, I have always had question marks about his ball playing and his quick thinking but it will come... Wighton was the same though until one year it just clicked for him. I'd still be patient with this team until with a forward pack is laying down a solid front footed foundation until making full judgement.

Its like bagging our ball movement where our wingers are always caught with no space by the end of it... Some poeple would say its shit but really if we had a forward pack bending the line our wingers would have ample space.
I think wighton came good once he got a decent half in George Williams…

jcdogs84

Waterboy
Reaction score
You’ve hit the nail on the head. A number of people on this forum will not comprehend your point.
This is where Des (fuck I hate bringing him up) was poor as a coach. He didn't have key senior players in the squad to pass on knowledge. I wast a huge Ennis lover, but he would have been invaluable to a young Liccha or I dare say a young Cook or Mahoney!

We havent had a solid half since Kimmorley, as much as we laugh at Lewis and Cogger they had no one at the club to learn off. Foran was tough as all he'll, but he's not a leader.

Burton doesn't have the luxury of a mentor, but he has a ton of potential and has quality players inside and outside of him on the field. He will learn, sky is the limit.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton is objectively our only threat. We only look dangerous when he has the ball. (Well, him and Kiraz)
I’d like to see more from him, but that may just be the problem. Maybe we’re expecting more from him than he’s capable of at this point in his career. He’s only played 30 games in the halves.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not as good as Burton could be. Burton is a better centre, logic says he would be a better FB.
Crichton is a good player and will become a good fullback. Burton has the higher ceiling and would develop as a better player of the 2 in any given position including FB in my opinion.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Haha you always run to Avo’s defence. Are you related to him? In your opinion does he deserve to be in the 17 ahead of Burto? I’m fascinated to know!
Averillo leads us for line breaks, line break assists and try + try assists. This is all while playing outside of Flanagan, you know the same Flanagan you guys constantly bag and blame for Burton being unable to do X,Y or Z. Why wouldn't I defend him if he's doing that? He's playing outside the so called worst halfback yet he's still able to contribute almost 1/3 of our tries this season.

I don't know how to answer your question, they're both playing two different positions right now and they both deserve spots somewhere in our current 17. If you meant purely head to head then I would 100% select Burton over Averillo at centre because Burton is one of the best centres in the game and he has proven that.

Unfortunately Burton is not that guy at 5/8 no matter how much you want him to be or how much the media talk him up. There are numerous deficiencies in his game that highly paid 5/8's shouldn't have and right now he looks miles off even addressing them.

The reality is that Burton has been made our captain and is getting paid the big $$$ so big things are expected from him and he just isn't delivering. Look at Munster, the bloke literally drags his team through games and when nothings on he will put his hand up for a run and keep doing that until he creates something. Now I'm not expecting him to be Munster level but why why can't Burton at least put himself in the game like that and try to create? He has size, he has footwork so just fucking run. Eve. With his kicks, why not drift across to the right and lob a ball up for Kiraz? Kiraz is great one on one and kicking again is meant to be Burton's thing so why not?

If Burton actually done stuff like that I wouldn't be having a crack at him almost every game. I might still be frustrated but with certain aspects but I wouldn't be anywhere near as mad knowing he's having a crack and trying to deliver. Instead he ghosts for the majority of the game and just shuffles the ball on, doesn't execute his kicks correctly or just gets kick happy and kicks for the sake of it. It's not fucking good enough.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Id like to see him learn from a decent experienced half. Not sure how good it is for his development having Flanagan, offer literary nothing. They should have gone after reynolds when they had the chance

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo leads us for line breaks, line break assists and try + try assists. This is all while playing outside of Flanagan, you know the same Flanagan you guys constantly bag and blame for Burton being unable to do X,Y or Z. Why wouldn't I defend him if he's doing that? He's playing outside the so called worst halfback yet he's still able to contribute almost 1/3 of our tries this season.

I don't know how to answer your question, they're both playing two different positions right now and they both deserve spots somewhere in our current 17. If you meant purely head to head then I would 100% select Burton over Averillo at centre because Burton is one of the best centres in the game and he has proven that.

Unfortunately Burton is not that guy at 5/8 no matter how much you want him to be or how much the media talk him up. There are numerous deficiencies in his game that highly paid 5/8's shouldn't have and right now he looks miles off even addressing them.

The reality is that Burton has been made our captain and is getting paid the big $$$ so big things are expected from him and he just isn't delivering. Look at Munster, the bloke literally drags his team through games and when nothings on he will put his hand up for a run and keep doing that until he creates something. Now I'm not expecting him to be Munster level but why why can't Burton at least put himself in the game like that and try to create? He has size, he has footwork so just fucking run. Eve. With his kicks, why not drift across to the right and lob a ball up for Kiraz? Kiraz is great one on one and kicking again is meant to be Burton's thing so why not?

If Burton actually done stuff like that I wouldn't be having a crack at him almost every game. I might still be frustrated but with certain aspects but I wouldn't be anywhere near as mad knowing he's having a crack and trying to deliver. Instead he ghosts for the majority of the game and just shuffles the ball on, doesn't execute his kicks correctly or just gets kick happy and kicks for the sake of it. It's not fucking good enough.
Still does more than Flanagan, if we had an organiser.. you wouldn’t be on his case