Opinion Burton does not deserve to be captain.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is every player who’s come through with burtos potential and gone on to succeed has had an older player/s that took the pressure off of them while also teaching them the ropes. Who has burto had? Fkn the averillo experiment that lasted 5 games? Then wakeham? Then the biggest ghost of all Flanno? The answer to solving burtons inconsistencies is not to drop him or put him at centre. It’s to fkn get someone in that can actually play 7 - otherwise it’s a detriment to his game and his development if it continues and he stagnates.
this

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not, I'm comparing junior form to junior form. I'm working off a very small sample size but Karl looks way more polished as a 5/8 and I assume that's the reason why the club is trying to develop him as a halfback and not Burton.

Burton has always purely been a runner. Great at running at spaces or a retreating defensive line, great at running at isolated defenders and stepping off his left foot, just great at running in general, if there's space. That's the problem with him though, he's very reliant on the space and if that space isn't there he just ends up spamming kicks all game. His awareness as a playmaker is not great, his ability as a ballplayer is even worse. Karl from what I've seen doesn't have these same weaknesses.

Yes he was rubbish, numerous momentum swinging errors in the one game and not for the first time this season.
I understand you. Problem is the bulldogs forwards have notbbeen creating any space. We are being dominated and that is the problem

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe the sour grapes and negativity about our players. We are way better than last year, and were down on troops, with only 40% possession against a team brimming with international rep stars.

I wonder sometimes why these whingers call themselves supporters.

Imagine if Latrell went off injured in the first few minutes of the game, when we were up 6-0. Then we get 60% of the ball, and Burgess goes to the bin for ten for his nutgrab on Reynolds. We are allowed to stand offside, and forward passes are permitted for our tries. Then imagine that we were at full strength, with all our best players available. That's a whole different game.
We are 3-3. Team is decimated with injuries. Your right, we have improved.
We win by a FG and we are the greatest. We lose that same game by 2 and the sky has fallen.
Its early days with factors we have no control over impeding our progress.
Certain players for my mind wont make it but I can see they are doing their best under tough circumstances.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We found a 7, and paid 500k transfer fee to get him. So obviously KO is intended for the position. Hes just learning how to tackle adults in reggies right now but will be around soon enough. There is no point whatsoever in complaining about our 7 or looking for another one for the short time it will be before KO is in the side.
That post wasn’t meant as a Flanagan bashing, that’s been exhausted and then some and then some more … It was more about why Burton probably isn’t performing to his best …

KO’s been a 6 most of his playing career, we’re now trying to make him a 7, at 18/19 is he going to have the game management skills, the kicking skills to be a good 7, we don’t know.

Also the $500k was a rumour, the word is we didn’t pay anywhere near that …

Most of what you are saying are based on “ifs” ……

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You do realise the Munster today isn’t the Munster that began his career?

You’re comparing a young 5/8 with a superstar. Your cooked with hatred go take a break.
Completely missed the point, well done. Burton is our captain and has signed a $3.5m+ deal yet you're pulling the "young 5/8" card? Really? I had to live through our fans telling me Burton was a 1 million dollar player because he was "generational" and "more than a normal 5/8 because of his kicking game" yet here we are back to the young 5/8 narrative which is what I said he was at best right from the start.

The exact scenario that I envisioned is developing, that being that we need a dominant halfback and fullback taking over from Burton as our number 1 and 2 playmaker. So far we've bought Crichton who has been nothing but underwhelming as a fullback and Karl who I rate highly but is a kid and looks to be an out and out 5/8. If those two step up and everything falls into place and we win football games then I don't care if I'm wrong and look stupid.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I understand you. Problem is the bulldogs forwards have notbbeen creating any space. We are being dominated and that is the problem
I agree that's an issue but at the same time that isn't an excuse for everything, there are still opportunities and he should still be doing better with them. Mahoney is absolutely busting his arse out there in defence and is still kicking 40/20's, putting players into gaps and creating points. Meanwhile Burton just jogs sideways, shuffles the ball on and spams kicks, I just can't cop that man.

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine not having played a single game of footy, not even park footy and having the audacity to criticise 20 year old kids, asking for their contacts to be torn up LMAO Imagine a grown man, a complete stranger walking up to your face and telling you you don’t deserve to be on the money you are on ur worth, you would slap the fuck out of him

Imagine actually thinking you are qualified to give coaching advice, selection of players, dissecting a teams or individuals performance and not having coached a single day in your life (5 year olds running around don’t count) listen you fat Fucken armchair coaches you Don’t turn in week in week out MOTM performances, you don’t complete 25/25 sets week in week out you don’t hold The opposition to nil week in week out.

I’m all for constructive criticism and calling out laziness but fuck me give it a Rest,believe in gus and ciro because guess what, you got no Fucken choice
Ridiculous argument. I'm not a chef so I can't critic food? I'm not a movie director or musician so I can't have a valid opinion on movies or music?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you are totally ignoring
I agree that's an issue but at the same time that isn't an excuse for everything, there are still opportunities and he should still be doing better with them. Mahoney is absolutely busting his arse out there in defence and is still kicking 40/20's, putting players into gaps and creating points. Meanwhile Burton just jogs sideways, shuffles the ball on and spams kicks, I just can't cop that man.
Have you seen how the defense rushes him on the last? If anything there has to be opportunities which i agree either inside or outside. Our boys play too flat footed which doesn't give a playmaker many options

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think you are totally ignoring

Have you seen how the defense rushes him on the last? If anything there has to be opportunities which i agree either inside or outside. Our boys play too flat footed which doesn't give a playmaker many options
Sure, but this doesn't only happen to him. Plenty of playmakers are getting hammered when they kick or pass. Look at Katoa last night, the kid was getting absolutely belted yet he kept showing up. There's issues and not everything is his fault but like I said I think he needs to be doing better.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ridiculous argument. I'm not a chef so I can't critic food? I'm not a movie director or musician so I can't have a valid opinion on movies or music?
Horses for courses champ. A food critic can be well versed in the culinary world and actually have chefs experience, hence having a somewhat valid opinion. Whereas a pie eating McCain dinner indulging wanker with the palate of a cows backside may have as many opinions as he wants, doesn’t make it valid. You seem to be the latter

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I’ve said it before … Burton can be an elite 6 but because we don’t have a 1 or a 7 that are threats there’s to much responsibility on him for this stage of his career …

When we finally find ourselves a decent 7, doesn’t need to be a superstar, just a smart solid 7 with good defence that can distribute the ball well and average over 400 kick metres per game with the boot, it’ll free up Burton from the kicking duty’s to just focus on running and setting up those around him …

He’s not a game manager, he’s a running 6 … concentrating on getting back and setting himself to kick for 90% of our sets takes his focus away from doing what he’s good at, he should have a license to just roam all over the park probing for gaps & keeping the opposition guessing, and then he can just randomly pop up that huge bomb of his couple of times per game …

99% of our attack starts with Mahoney & Burton, shut those 2 down you shut the bulldogs down, we’re not seeing the best from them because they’re getting the majority of the traffic and they’re fatiguing .. you can see how things change when another ball player in Reynolds comes on, the opposition become a bit more wary and are on the back foot a bit more … how would we look with a good 7 & 1 in the team ..

If we had a smart 7 that could handle all the kicking duty’s, that could kick to the corners, get repeat sets and pressure the opposition with his kicking game we’d be a completely different team ..

Give Burton a solid 7 and get his forward pack back on the paddock making metres for him & I think you’ll see what he’s capable of ..

After 6 rounds I’ve also seen enough of Perham, other than being safe & tippy toeing around and looking busy we’re not getting much else from him, he gifted Souths 12 points last night by not aggressively going after the ball, he’s also not offering anything as an attacking threat .. stop the tippy toeing and just run hard get up in the line as a 3rd half or get Averillo back there …
Obviously not his biggest fan but I bet you he will improve with KO next to him.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only issue with Burton when we had field position early on he wasn’t running to trying to break the line.
Game was over by the time he decided to run it

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
12 pages of WTF?

Plenty putting sh!t on Burto.. agree he shouldn’t be captain because he’s mute, but ffs, he’s coming good, he’s one of few that’s looked dangerous or created for us and he made his first real statement vs Cows by taking over when it counted under massive pressure.

Honestly, the way some carry on in here is insane, he was a fu<king legend to everyone last week….now some want to sh!t all over him. He’s not the finished product, but he’s warming to what we expect out of him each week… unlike Flanno who stagnated.

We need to reset as fans and as a team

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He wasn’t good yesterday, his failed touch finder was a huge momentum killer. School boy error, which punished us when we could’ve fought back a little. Common sense says take the easy 25-30m into touch instead of going for 40-50m. Munster is probably the only 6 I’ve seen that can carry an injury ravaged team to victory (I’m talking about when hugged is out) Burton isn’t on that level but neither is our 7. I’d honestly rather play with two five eights in Burton and Karl and just let Reed dictate where we get to on field.
I think Burton has talent to be a good player but teams don’t need to defend our right hand side. Until that changes he will continue to struggle

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Horses for courses champ. A food critic can be well versed in the culinary world and actually have chefs experience, hence having a somewhat valid opinion. Whereas a pie eating McCain dinner indulging wanker with the palate of a cows backside may have as many opinions as he wants, doesn’t make it valid. You seem to be the latter
You are disgusted by everyone's opinion on this forum as long as they have high level rugby league playing or coaching experience lol. Go back to the circus.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wasn’t good yesterday, his failed touch finder was a huge momentum killer. School boy error, which punished us when we could’ve fought back a little. Common sense says take the easy 25-30m into touch instead of going for 40-50m. Munster is probably the only 6 I’ve seen that can carry an injury ravaged team to victory (I’m talking about when hugged is out) Burton isn’t on that level but neither is our 7. I’d honestly rather play with two five eights in Burton and Karl and just let Reed dictate where we get to on field.
I think Burton has talent to be a good player but teams don’t need to defend our right hand side. Until that changes he will continue to struggle
Yes he didn’t find touch so what fatrell didn’t either and what happened he scored 3 try’s and Burton scored 2.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just accept Burton was bad so this thread can die, the end.
He does need to work on a few things but he’s not a shit player.
Plus why should I end the thread I only replied a few times.