burton 10 year deal

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No waiting from me in terms of extending his contract on marquee dollars. He’s a rare talent that has been a victim of poor coaching playing under poor structures.
Not his fault but we have been stung before so I needed to be 100% confident, after today I am and I agree.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The rest of the team are finally getting the idea that they need to get into line and put in a decent kick chase, it is a huge advantage. As is also the kicks for touch off the penalties. We didn't get too many penalties, but every time we did Burto had us starting our set from well inside the opposition half. I think the least meterage he gained was 35, the most 50+. Keep this up and opposition teams will be putting "don't give away penalties" as the top line on their tip sheet.
We actually just saw this in regards to kick chase on Benji's show where Carrigan was mic'ed up this week. Carrigan was blasting the players during the set that that the 3 on whatever side Reynolds kicks on need to be leading the chase. I'm not sure if we have the same voice on field but like you said it's inporving.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I always saw his value, I just wanted to see him act on it and to not blow our budget like Newcastle did with Ponga until he did so.
Sure enough but here’s the thing, it wouldn’t matter if it was Munster, Clearly, Hughes or any other marquee half playing in those earlier rounds for the Dogs they all would’ve struggled. Week in week out we we’re getting smashed and dominated in the ruck. It’s hardly surprising that Burton was a standout today when we clearly won the forward battle. For the first time this year our line speed was excellent and all 13 players looked enthusiastic. There are a number of different battles that need to be won or at least on an even keel for the stars of our game to shine.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sure enough but here’s the thing, it wouldn’t matter if it was Munster, Clearly, Hughes or any other marquee half playing in those earlier rounds for the Dogs they all would’ve struggled. Week in week out we we’re getting smashed and dominated in the ruck. It’s hardly surprising that Burton was a standout today when we clearly won the forward battle. For the first time this year our line speed was excellent and all 13 players looked enthusiastic. There are a number of different battles that need to be won or at least on an even keel for the stars of our game to shine.
Yes but they would've still shown more. We can't just keep investing on potential and need to actually see results to justify the large investment because you simply can't get these calls wrong in today's game. Just look at the Cowboys and Broncos, they invested in proven talent in Reynolds and Townsend and it has turned the club around.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Him and JAC building chemistry is massive for us, when the winger is up and there's space in behind they're both thinking the same thing and it's very hard to defend it when they both act so quickly on it. The same with the final try, the execution was obviously great but the important bit was Burton knowing where Jake was without even having to look and both of them being on the same wavelength. This type of understanding has been lacking at the club for years and it's good we're finally seeing it now.
They are the first real signs that the combinations are starting to build.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to start winning consistently against teams like Wests, Titans, Knights, and Warriors, all of whom we play in our next 7 games. If we can do that plus sneak a win or at least give a decent scare to Sharks, buns, and Cows along the way...
The only problem is we could be without Fox and Burton for at least one of these games because on the form they have shown this week Fox will get his Blues jumper back and Fitler may choose Burton at Center for the Blues, Both of them really deserve it, but our chance of winning a game drastically decrease if they're missing from our team.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All we need is the rest of the spine to shine around him..

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, what a surprise. Who knew that he wouldn't instantly make us better?! It only took 8 or so games, which is actually impressive.

We're talking about a kid who was a rookie last season, played almost every game at centre, a position he wasn't used to, and won centre of the year or was one of the centres in the team of the year? He wins a comp, then moves to a new club, where he hardly knows anyone. He's seen as our saviour, has all this pressure and is playing his first full season as 5/8th. He gets put alongside 3 different halfbacks in his first 6 games, yet still manages to gradually add to the highlight reel. And now, with only half the season gone, people are seeing what the fan boys (like me) were raving about. The kid is way more talented and naturally gifted than most others I've seen, watching since the early 90s. He does things with ease that would take others years of practice, and few would even be able to learn some of these skills.

He was never going to be an instant hit, but with some stability of the players around him and more time to work on combinations, plus having an (obviously) better coach, everyone is starting to blow him lol. Well fkn A to that. I just hope we can keep him at the club for at least 5 years.

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch a lot of AFL (lived in Melbourne for five years so had no choice, I do support the Western Bulldogs though) and they talk a lot about how the good players “lower their eyes” before deciding their next play. It basically means taking some time to assess what’s in front of them and picking the right play rather than just bombing it as far forward as possible. In league we talk about “playing what’s in front of you”, I think it’s the same concept.

Burton is an absolute master at it. He plays on instinct, he looks up and sees what’s happening, decides in an instant what the best play is, and is then good enough to execute. I can’t even comprehend how good his kicking is. His short kicks especially are so subtle and so fast that I don’t think any defensive player can keep up. The fact he can also run, break tackles and pull that miracle on Moses as he’s scoring is just mind blowing.

If he is this good with the current players around him, imagine how insane he will be with Mahoney, Averillo, a decent 7 and Kikau running off him?

He will be the greatest player in the game within the next couple of seasons. Better than Munster, better than Turbo, better than Paps. There is no more important signing for us.
Well said and remember, it's only about his 15th game playing as 5/8th in the NRL, and 13 for us (I think). Trial game too but iirc he only played a half game.

There were subtle signs of his rare talent early on last season. Some that come to mind are him stepping a defender, before receiving the ball. I don't know if I've seen it before and Fittler or Johns were in awe. Stephen Crichton can do it also though. He did it in their last match but it wasn't as smooth as Burton. His kicking skills were obvious early on. Also, just the way he almost floats around. It's the same as his kicking and passing skills like you say. He has so much subtlety and can read the game so well. The deftness of touches while playing at speed is ridiculously hard. He dies it seemingly with ease.

It's actually incomprehensible how good he could be in a few years.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get why people actually believe fox sports and believe Burton wants out. You can see the passion in his face when things go right! Him and JAC love the club and the fans and the more we win the happier they will be!

Just think, next year Burto has Mahoney feeding him the ball and Kikau smashing that left side to pieces with decoys and solo runs. Pretty much the dream for Burton!
My mate was frothing so hard today over the game and I said mate, we've got Beast Kikau and Mahoney coming, you aint seen nothing yet.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to start winning consistently against teams like Wests, Titans, Knights, and Warriors, all of whom we play in our next 7 games. If we can do that plus sneak a win or at least give a decent scare to Sharks, buns, and Cows along the way...
100% with you, and disciplined consistency is the key.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to jump and give him an open check, let him and the Fox be the 2 players we build this club around, let burton know he’s wanted and valued in the blue an white for life!! We’ve lacked this kind of player for many years. And seeing him hit form last night was absolutely amazing for all !! Fans/players/club!!

Burton needs to be a BULLDOG for LIFE, it’s the most logical choice now.. a choice and and opportunity that CAN NOT be missed.!!!

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine when he has a quality halfback beside him. His kicking game is jizz worthy.