Official Bulldogs vs Raiders Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope our supporters are not taking these trials super seriously and throwing their toys out of the cot if we go down… same applies for a win, the old top 4 and gf bound excitement - it’s a trial…. It will be used as such.

My expectations here are effort plays, creativity, valuing defence and identifying potential when up against men. It pains me when 16yo posters sook after a trial, especially the first one! relax in advance, we will be ok.
oh mate get ready for the SACK CIRALDO threads when we lose

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FFS it's Trial Game #1, which always means leave the gun/strike players out, rest those that need resting, let the back ups and the back ups to the back ups gain some experience, plus they get to show if they are worth picking in the future.
What has that got to do with my post? Like I said, we don’t have better options in those positions. It’s not that they weren’t picked, they don’t exist! JAC not playing means we have to use Okunbor ffs. Perham is our best fullback option! Who knows if he’ll do a good enough job. The fact our second choice is Burns is alarming. Casey would probably be in his spot if not injured but he’s not much better.

Seriously, if you can’t see what I mean (talking about the entire squad, not just this trial team) I don’t know what to tell you.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
oh mate get ready for the SACK CIRALDO threads when we lose
Haha… there will almost certainly be someone on here bagging the sh!t out of the team if the result doesn’t go our way

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
For comparison's sake to last year:

2022 Trial 1 Squad​
No.
2023 Trial 1 Squad​
Matt Dufty​
1​
Braidon Burns
Jayden Okunbor​
2​
Jacob Kiraz
Aaron Schoupp​
3​
Jake Averillo
Paul Alamoti​
4​
Paul Alamoti
Declan Casey​
5/21​
Jayden Okunbor
Brandon Wakeham​
6​
Josh Reynolds
Jake Averillo​
7​
Kyle Flanagan
Luke Thompson​
8​
Luke Thompson
Jeremy-Marshall-King​
9​
Reed Mahoney
Paul Vaughan​
10​
Max King
Corey Waddell​
11​
Jacob Preston
Tevita Pangai Junior​
12​
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Josh Jackson​
13​
Ryan Sutton
Interchange​
Bailey Biondo-Odo​
14​
Fa'amanu Brown
Chris Patolo​
15​
Chris Patolo
Joe Stimson​
16​
Andrew Davey
Josh Stuckey​
17​
Corey Waddell
Joshua Cook​
19​
Jeral Skelton
Max King​
20​
Jackson Topine
Reece Hoffman​
21​
Larson Dale-Doyle​
22​
Bailey Hayward
Ava Seumanufagai​
23​
Harrison Edwards
Kyle Flanagan​
24​
Khaled Rajab
Jacob Kiraz​
25​
Jayden Tanner
Credence Toia​
26​
Kurtis Morrin
Eli Clarke​
27​
Blake Wilson
Jackson Topine​
28​
Joash Papalii
Phil Makatoa​
29​
Ryan Gray
Jayden Tanner​
30​
Franklin Pele
Billy Tsikrikas​
31​
Harrison Edwards​
32​
Trent Barrett​
Coach​
Cameron Ciraldo

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d go with Kiraz out back if we lose Perham during the year or if he’s a bust . Slot burns or Casey on the wing . One thing I hope is that Burns doesn’t play centre haha .

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Results of trials are irrelevant imho - on the assumption that the top squad, forwrad anyway plays the first 25 minutes im most interested in

- do the forwards make metres -
- do the forwards offer any domination aggression in defence
- does Thompson show any improvement - is he the first shoulder in defence, does he make metres
- who from the bench plays in the middle and how well they play
- defence of Alamoti and Averillo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm keen to see how Sutton looks. I rated him at Canberra as a solid, workmanlike forward but last year he was disappointing. Stuart can do that to players though, especially forwards with how much he fucks with their minutes/role..

Supposedly he's had a good preseason and Gus and Ciraldo are impressed with him.. He seems like he'll start at lock, so he could surprise people this season. He's a good defender and makes decent metres on his runs.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you sign Young then one of Alamoti, Xerri or Kiraz miss out. We don't need to sign a starting winger. We need 1-2 more middles then that's basically the team until kids come through.
Agree. I can see Ciraldo trying to use Alomoti as Brian To’o style winger and Kiraz with some height on the other side. Especially if Joash Papalli works out as a fullback in the next 18 months. I’m hoping that Burns only plays half a game at fullback and we get a look at Papalii on Sunday.