Official Bulldogs vs Raiders Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This week against Cronulla will tell us a bit more about what 2023 will look like..
This!
There is no team more primed for trials than the sharks. It will certainly act as a yardstick for us, if we go close or win, we’re top 8 for sure this year, that’s what this game reveals to us (in my opinion).

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I saw Jarrod Croker in Braddon today, he looked battered and like he was hating life after yesterday
Its sad how his career is ending the way it is, used to enjoy watching Croker carry shit Raiders teams

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
WTF, "trapped with the ball", talk about confusing, people whinging about Flanagan not running the ball, then people whinging because he runs the ball and gets tackled. FMD that happens often when you run the ball, when anyone runs the ball.

His kicking was pretty good, aside from the speculator at half time I saw nothing wrong with any of his kicks. He was 1 of 3 kickers, Reynolds, Mahoney and him. When Burton plays he will do pretty much the same amount of kicking with the same amount of distance required.

Game sense wise, FMD (again) he had enough "game sense" to set up the Okunbor try, that wasn't on until he set it up with a spot on cut out pass (they have to be good for Okunbor to catch them). He was the one backing up to receive the late offload from Kiraz that lead to the Averillo break and was also the one backing Averillo up and possibly would have scored if Averillo didn't get ankle tapped. Flanagan also ran the block play (that Mahony dummied to) that drew the defence for the Sutton barge over. For the Thompson knockers it was his fast play the ball that made that play possible.

Always a Bulldog
Reynolds was the better kicker but Flano did a ok job.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanno only played 40 minutes and managed to get trapped with the ball about 4 times, did some dysfunctional kicks and couldn't pass to the players on the right hand side of the field (you know that area where he's played the last seasons and supposedly trained there all pre seaon)

The only good things he did were right over on the left passing back to the left.

Not overly impressed by his game, sure he did a few good things but his usual was still very much there.

In saying that I love the bloke cause he's pulled on our jumper and is part of club, I just don't think his game sense has developed to much from last year and believe there are better options in the 30 ATM.
Flanagan gets sacked (caught with the ball looking like a deer in headlights, not knowing what option to take) more than any other half in the NRL and he did it at least 3 times again on the weekend. He doesn't know how to unlock anyone on his outside - he doesn't know how to create, the best bit of play we had on the right was when Reynolds created a half chance. Flanagan stifles the attack as soon as he gets the ball, he's literally Waddell but in a spine position. It was evident there's been little to no improvement from last season. When we play the Sharks this week maybe then it'll be blatant enough for blind people watching (it was literally on display against a reserve grade Raider team). Every half in the top 30 we have, and almost every half we have at the club (probably besides Hayward) would be a better option that Flanagan. I honestly thought Flanagan was in our top 5 worst players from our starting 13 on the weekend and most of the others were due to lack of involvement (2 on Flanagan's side).

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan gets sacked (caught with the ball looking like a deer in headlights, not knowing what option to take) more than any other half in the NRL and he did it at least 3 times again on the weekend. He doesn't know how to unlock anyone on his outside - he doesn't know how to create, the best bit of play we had on the right was when Reynolds created a half chance. Flanagan stifles the attack as soon as he gets the ball, he's literally Waddell but in a spine position. It was evident there's been little to no improvement from last season. When we play the Sharks this week maybe then it'll be blatant enough for blind people watching (it was literally on display against a reserve grade Raider team). Every half in the top 30 we have, and almost every half we have at the club (probably besides Hayward) would be a better option that Flanagan. I honestly thought Flanagan was in our top 5 worst players from our starting 13 on the weekend and most of the others were due to lack of involvement (2 on Flanagan's side).
Is this true @Flanagun :|

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s more that josh Reynolds has a presence on the field, always revved the boys up and was more vocal. Didn’t see much wrong with flannos game but.
Still waiting for flanno to hit clearys level that baz promised us but hahaha

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you were any more clueless your name would be Alicia Silverstone, baby!

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was feeling good till I noticed Warriors in third. In all seriousness though it's great that our main players look good and it's the best trial we have played in yonks
They played a pretty toothless tigers outfit

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You really need to take your Flanagan hate glasses off and actually watch the game for a change.

As I have pointed out, Averillo called for the kick, last second, no time for Flanagan to do anything but try a speculator. There was communication between the kicker and the catcher. In this case it was on, Averillo has the pace and there was space down the RHS. Plus there were only seconds left in the half, so zero risk, very pleased to see that they had a go at it.

WTF, "gets sacked", talk about confusing, people whinging about Flanagan not running the ball, then people whinging because he runs the ball and gets tackled. FMD that happens often when you run the ball, when anyone runs the ball. Then people complain that he avoids contact, but he is one of the best defensively in the team, oxymoronic.

I call bullshit on the "stifles the attack", on the left he set up the Okunbor try, that wasn't on until he set it up with a spot on cut out pass (they have to be good for Okunbor to catch them). On the right he was the one backing up to receive the late offload from Kiraz that lead to the Averillo break and was also the one backing Averillo up and possibly would have scored if Averillo didn't get ankle tapped. On the right Flanagan also ran the block play (that Mahony dummied to) that drew the defence for the Sutton barge over.

He is currently the best backer upper we have in the team and more often than not he is the player ready for an offload. I also noticed when Mahony couldn't get to the play ball he jumped into dummy half and did a more than passable job. Since you obviously had your hate glasses on you probably also didn't notice that when Mahony was off Flanagan was the Captain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Flanagan is perfect, far from it, and he has a lot to prove this year to earn a gig next year, anywhere. But when it comes to Flanagan your expectation bias and blind disregard for the facts is grotesquely over the top.

Always a Bulldog