Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just watched the first 40 minutes again and it looked really good.
Very positive signs for 2019...
Aside from Cogger out Lewis in I doubt there'll be many changes.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and I hope Pay doesn't do it would be Lewis in the right centre rol er with Cogger at half.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
my point was, that most of who you listed aren't even current fullbacks or first choice fullbacks for there clubs. I don't need to add anything further to that, I'm simply disproving what you said.
You're not actually disproving it with facts, such as your own list. You are simply disagreeing, which is perfectly OK but not the same as disproving.

Go Dogs

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
my point was, that most of who you listed aren't even current fullbacks or first choice fullbacks for there clubs. I don't need to add anything further to that, I'm simply disproving what you said.
They would be first choice fullbacks by many but are needed in the halves at the moment more than they are needed at the back. So as players in current fullback positions Hoppa stands above the replacements at Knights and Storm.

Yes there’s better fullbacks out there, but of players actually playing in the fullback position right now Hoppa is right up there.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the first 40 minutes again and it looked really good.
Very positive signs for 2019...
Aside from Cogger out Lewis in I doubt there'll be many changes.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and I hope Pay doesn't do it would be Lewis in the right centre rol er with Cogger at half.
Sshhhh I hope Pay doesn't read this post. We dont want to give him funny ideas.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tedesco
Trbo
RTS
Ponga
Munster
G.I
Hoppa

The rest.

Munster and Ponga not playing fb this year that puts Hoppa in my top 5 playing fb this year.

Where does Meaney fit? Well hard to truly gauge atm but I would suggest outside the top 15 fullbacks.
I think hoppa possibly over GI for now.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting he isn’t better than:

Anderson
Dufty
French
Watson or Mann
Aiken or Edwards
Nickelled-Klokstad
Kennedy
Drinkwater or Papenhuyzen
Smith or Mbye

That’s 13 fullbacks, I’m sure we can debate a couple, but 8 would be better than half.

Go Dogs
You're not actually disproving it with facts, such as your own list. You are simply disagreeing, which is perfectly OK but not the same as disproving.

Go Dogs
Watson Aitken Nickelled-Klokstad and Mann have they even played fullback in first grade ??
Smith a career fringe first grader
Edwards will get better
French not a fullback clearly a winger
Papenhuyzen Drinkwater have they even played first grade at all ??

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Watson Aitken Nickelled-Klokstad and Mann have they even played fullback in first grade ??
Smith a career fringe first grader
Edwards will get better
French not a fullback clearly a winger
Papenhuyzen Drinkwater have they even played first grade at all ??
OK let's go;
Watson is the Knights designated fullback for 2019, he has played 53 NRL games.
Aitken (80 games) or Dufty will be the StGeorge fullback, Hopoate is better than both of them IMHO.
Nickell-Klokstad played for the Warriors in 2018, the alternative in Canberra for this year is Abbey (a well know quantity to us).
Smith has played 48 NRL games, the alternative is French, again Hopoate is way better than both of them IMHO.
Whether Edwards gets better or not is irrelevant, right now he isn't as good as Hopoate IMHO.
Papenhuyzen (has more ability but is younger), Drinkwater or Hughes will be the Storm fullback (even they don't know which one it seems), do any of them really compare with Hopoate? I don't think so.

Go Dogs

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It will be Foran and Lewis in the halves for sure. Lewis adds an intangible that no-one else can. Somewhat like what Reynolds did for us. It's effort/confidence/enthusiasm/footy presence. Hard to describe exactly what it is, but you never leave out a player like Lewis.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK let's go;
Aitken (80 games) or Dufty will be the StGeorge fullback, Hopoate is better than both of them IMHO.
Nickell-Klokstad played for the Warriors in 2018, the alternative in Canberra for this year is Abbey (a well know quantity to us).
Smith has played 48 NRL games, the alternative is French, again Hopoate is way better than both of them IMHO.
Whether Edwards gets better or not is irrelevant, right now he isn't as good as Hopoate IMHO.
Papenhuyzen (has more ability but is younger), Drinkwater or Hughes will be the Storm fullback (even they don't know which one it seems), do any of them really compare with Hopoate? I don't think so.

Go Dogs
see the problem is you don't read post thoroughly
I didn't say have they ever played first grade. I said have they played first grade as a fullback
and not will they be playing first grade this year and all the other unimportant things that you mentioned..

The fact is you compared an experienced fullback to a bunch of players that either don't regularly play , Havent played or might play fullback this year...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Besides If your Fullback is not ranked in the top 5 in the league then you need to replace him ..

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
OK let's go;

Go Dogs
Id take Dylan Edwards over Hopoate any day of the week!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Besides If your Fullback is not ranked in the top 5 in the league then you need to replace him ..
Which means 11 teams need to replace their fullback right now. With who? Are there 11 fullbacks hiding somewhere that just need to be found, bingo, pull a fullback out of the hat, sign em up and let em loose?

I don't think so, as with any position there are players that need development, require time, some will make it and some won't. Some players are at the top of their game. Equally there are players that are on the other side of the slippery slide that will need replacing shortly. What you are suggesting is unrealistic, firstly because it's based on opinion at a point in time, but mostly because only 5 can be top 5 at any one time.

see the problem is you don't read post thoroughly
I didn't say have they ever played first grade. I said have they played first grade as a fullback
and not will they be playing first grade this year and all the other unimportant things that you mentioned..
The fact is you compared an experienced fullback to a bunch of players that either don't regularly play , Havent played or might play fullback this year...
The fact is I compared an experienced fullback with the other teams choice of fullbacks that I think he is better than. I named 13, when only 8 were required to better than half, which is what I posted.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Id take Dylan Edwards over Hopoate any day of the week!
He's a bit injury prone, only played 25 games since 2016 with the Panthers. Tough injuries like a medial ligament in 2017 and a shoulder that needed reconstruction and ruled him out from round 8 (against us) last year. There is chance that he might not even be their first fullback selected. He may well turn out to be OK, but right now I don't think so, IMHO of course.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about moylan, hes back in the one. And the st george fullback will be widdop, pretty handy too. If hoppa had a kicking game and speed in the centres and wingers, u wouldnt even notice his lack of pace. He wont get faster i wonder if he can just work on a grubber for the rushing up wingers.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa's issues in past seasons have been not having a lot to work with.... He's always done his job and usually one of the best on field, but he goes up another level when he has decent halves to work with.. He's going to have a big season if that trial is anything to go off
Yeah I was critical of hoppa before but liked what he did on Saturday. Actually really confident with the team all up. Think they are going to be good to watch this year thinking there are going to be plenty of tries scored. My only prob if the referees just hope we get a fair run and we will smash a lot off teams.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which means 11 teams need to replace their fullback right now. With who? Are there 11 fullbacks hiding somewhere that just need to be found, bingo, pull a fullback out of the hat, sign em up and let em loose?

I don't think so, as with any position there are players that need development, require time, some will make it and some won't. Some players are at the top of their game. Equally there are players that are on the other side of the slippery slide that will need replacing shortly. What you are suggesting is unrealistic, firstly because it's based on opinion at a point in time, but mostly because only 5 can be top 5 at any one time.

The fact is I compared an experienced fullback with the other teams choice of fullbacks that I think he is better than. I named 13, when only 8 were required to better than half, which is what I posted.

Go Dogs
sorry mate I cant help you LOL

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
This is how I see things:

I wasn't a fan of Hoppa as a fullback when he was first there for us as the only times I'd notice him was when he was out of position defending kicks and when he lacked pace in a line break scenario. This was also at a time when our entire pack lacked overall pace.

It was only last year when mbyebye left that I saw Hoppa the "deft-handed ball-playing fullback" who was creating opportunities left and right with his passing game in situations where many other players wouldn't be able to and he displayed that skill again in our trial. We also now have outside backs who can capitalise on opportunities with some genuine pace.

As for Meaney, we barely got to see him attack during the trial, though I really did like what I saw of his acceleration off the mark from a few kick returns he made. At the same time saw him make some not-so-clutch tackles on Cotric at the try line... if I play devil's advocate though, this was a trial game, with frustrating refereeing and a similarly frustrating right edge that was leaking points. So he might have that "body on the line" mentality on a real game day.

Thinking about it all together, deep down I want to believe our team would be strongest with Meaney at 1, who could follow through on line breaks with his pace, and Hoppa at centre who could set up either winger with his sleek passing game. In reality though it could be that we sacrifice our defence with this plan, if Hoppa defends poorly again at centre and Meaney defends poorly at FB, or fails to provide more impact than Hoppa would on our attack. If it came down to other options though I wouldn't like to shuffle around the outside backs too much and I'd prefer Hoppa > Montoya for centre....

So what does this mean in the end? After all this thinking I've realised that I'd be happy with either option :sweatsmile: and I am genuinely excited to see which way Pay leans come round 1 (glad I'm not having to make the call!).

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Put it this way, Hoppa is probably fulfilling the fullback role at an 80% capacity compared to Tedesco.
If our hooker did the same we'd be unstoppable. Puts things into perpective about Hoppa doesn't it. He does more than enough to help us win games.
That's my take on it.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think hoppa possibly over GI for now.
Would rather Hoppa over that old drunk any day of the week now, he's been shit for awhile.

So who do we really rate above Hoppa out there, Tedesco, RTS & Turbo. That's about it.